Headers

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2009 | 10:58 AM
71CutlassConvertible

Headers

Looking at getting some aftermarket headers for my play toy. I've read a lot of interesting threads and have learned a lot. I just wanted to know what everyones experiences are and favorite brands of headers. Back in high school everyone had to tighten their headers up at every stop sign. Some guys were double gasketing. Have headers come along way in the past 25 years? Don't worry die hard original olds fans, I'm cleaning up the originals and shelfing them for down the road. Some talking points--ceramic vs. stainlass, full length vs. shortys, brand x vs. brand y. Thanks to those who weigh in.
Old November 17th, 2009 | 12:38 PM

I haven't bought headers for my 71 98 because I hear too many horror stories about people spending money on a set of Dynomax, Flowtech, Hooker, Heddman, etc. headers that don't fit properly when they install them. IMHO, if you have to "modify" the headers with a ball peen hammer so they will clear the brake booster, steering shaft, or AC plenum, then you should re-evaluate howt you are spending your money. Eventually, I plan on spending the $700 on a set of chrome plated Doug's Headers. If they don't fit without modification then I will return them and get my money back. To each his own though...
Old November 17th, 2009 | 12:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by colby
Looking at getting some aftermarket headers for my play toy. I've read a lot of interesting threads and have learned a lot. I just wanted to know what everyones experiences are and favorite brands of headers. Back in high school everyone had to tighten their headers up at every stop sign. Some guys were double gasketing. Have headers come along way in the past 25 years? Don't worry die hard original olds fans, I'm cleaning up the originals and shelfing them for down the road. Some talking points--ceramic vs. stainlass, full length vs. shortys, brand x vs. brand y. Thanks to those who weigh in.
Stainless is certainly the best, but I've not seen any for an Olds motor. Failing that, the ceramic coating is a good way to go. In my opinion, shorty headers are a waste of time. Full length headers are designed that way for a reason. If you don't want to put up with the hassles, keep the manifolds. Shorty headers don't provide enough of an improvement to justify the cost.
Old November 17th, 2009 | 12:44 PM
this is not my car lol

a great topic, and very timely for me.

i'm currently wrestling to fit a set of headers on my 67 330 cutlass.

have you referenced the Olds FAQ on the subject yet?

theres so much to read about this topic, its insane!

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofexm.htm
Old November 17th, 2009 | 05:09 PM
GM Enthusiast

I agree with Joe about long tubes vs short tubes. Long tubes are the way to go with ceramic coating. Don't buy painted ones, they never hold up. They start rusting right away and then you get a faceful of rust flakes every time you get underneath them. I had no issues with mine needing to be retightened. I think I only tightened them once in 3 years so the flanges are much better than they used to be.
Old November 18th, 2009 | 07:09 AM
this is not my car lol

i just found out last night the headers i bought years ago for this project are in fact...wrong.

errg.

i'm back to square one, trying to figure out a header for this application.

if my math is correct, installing big block headers on my small block 66 Cutlass is my only option. the only difference is the bolt holes need to be drilled out (according to other sources)
Old November 21st, 2009 | 06:01 AM
71CutlassConvertible

Sounds like I better stay away from ceramic if any modification is needed.
Olds64 let us know how the Dougs headers work out.
Thanks for everyones input.
Old November 21st, 2009 | 06:04 AM

I will definitely keep everyone posted. I might order them this spring.
Old November 21st, 2009 | 06:23 AM

I run full length 1 7/8" SS headers made by American Racing Headers, and sold by Smitty at mjproformance.com I bought one of the first sets, and had some fitment problems which have been resolved. These fit with no interference anywhere, and tuck up underneath very nicely.
Old November 23rd, 2009 | 05:05 AM
71CutlassConvertible

Thanks, I'll check em out.
Old November 23rd, 2009 | 05:59 AM

I run full length 1 7/8" SS headers made by American Racing Headers, and sold by Smitty at mjproformance.com
Thanks for the info. It is good to know of additional companies that sell Olds parts.