Has anybody used a 350 DX block?

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM
raadon

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
He disagreed with you, he didn't call you a liar. Three possibilities, you are right, he is right, or based upon circumstances and experiences both of you made correct statements to the best of your knowledge and there is a disagreement. No name calling or proof is required, let the statements stand.
He is a member of ROP, he could have started that thread I did, and then avoiding sticking his foot in his mouth. I didn't offer the block to him.

"If I was selling a "bushed DX" block, I would describe it accurately in my opening post, in order to justify the price."

He accused me of not describing the item accurately, that is calling me a liar. You can put Bill O'reilly spin on it but that is what it is. He said he acknowledges his mistakes and admits it....where has he done so. No need to reply...I found my stainless trim and I won't be back.

Old August 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM

I was looking at that block at mondello. It already has the crank and pistons.

Since people seem to be just posting crap without reading, I race my Delta with the 350 in it. I'm looking to rebuild the block and get in the area of 400 HP, which isn't outta the question.

I want the car to run in the high 12's Don't wanna go faster than 11.49 becasue I do want to put a cage in it
Old August 1st, 2008, 05:41 PM

Redog, I did read what you wrote & you used the "cheap" word. I still don't think you'll be able to...
Originally Posted by Redog
Can I just take the long blcok and put on the heads and manifold and go. I know that the head bolts need to be 9/16" or drill out the older heads to 9/16" bolts holes. I would also be putting in the Edelbrock 7112 cam to match my current manifold
... get 400 HP and go racing, cheap, in the 12's.

But hey, go for it. Tell us what it cost. And how fast (ET) you actually went.

Don
Old August 1st, 2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
The last two posts are examples of factual, informative, and objective statements without name-calling or flaming. Let's keep it that way gentlemen.
Thanks.

Norm
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by raadon
When Greg said 1st gen. hp block he is talking about ........
Non-production blocks, that had nothing to do with this topic.

Norm
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
........ I have a DX block with .842 lifters ........
........ Did anyone say anything different? ........
Norm.
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM

........ If I was selling a "bushed DX" block, I would describe it accurately in my opening post, in order to justify the price ........
He accused me of not describing the item accurately ........
No one has "accused" anyone, of anything.

........ I didn't offer the block to him ........
No one said you did. Here it is, again:

Originally Posted by On ROP, by 88 Coupe
I have the same block will sell for 500.00 350DX .842 lifters new
I recently saw one of these blocks for sale, for $500 ........
Hopefully, this will end the BS.

Norm
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dapapadon
Redog, I did read what you wrote & you used the "cheap" word. I still don't think you'll be able to...

... get 400 HP and go racing, cheap, in the 12's.

But hey, go for it. Tell us what it cost. And how fast (ET) you actually went.

Don
I plan to spend between 5 to 7 grand, that in my book is cheap and probably in the area that I will spend
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM

........ It already has the crank and pistons ........
Which makes it a "short block" minus cam and lifters.

http://www.mondellotwister.com/EngineBlock.htm has it labeled (incorrectly) as a "block". Considering the company's reputation, I am inclined to believe it is a "marketing ploy". Possibly to take advantage of an Olds "newcomer".

Or, it might be a simple "typo".

........ looking to rebuild the block and get in the area of 400 HP ........
Piece of cake. Any competent machine shop can handle it.

........don't want to put a cage in it
Cage is required for 9.99 and quicker (or 135 MPH and faster)

A simple, 5 point roll bar is all that's needed, from 9.99 to 11.49

The limit was 11.99, last time my Coupes were out. If it had been 11.49, that is what they would have done.

Norm
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:51 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Redog, you should put a roll bar in it anyway.
The roofs on these cars are marshmallows. Set a case of beer on the top of em and they'll cave.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:59 AM

Which makes it a "short block" minus cam and lifters.

http://www.mondellotwister.com/EngineBlock.htm has it labeled (incorrectly) as a "block". Considering the company's reputation, I am inclined to believe it is a "marketing ploy". Possibly to take advantage of an Olds "newcomer".

Or, it might be a simple "typo".

Well it doesn't matter anyway. Probably would be the same to machine my current block as it would be to buy that one and have it shipped across the conurty. I've haven't been buying too much from them anyway. $15 for a intake gasket but $18 to ship. It doesn't even weigh a pound

The roofs on these cars are marshmallows. Set a case of beer on the top of em and they'll cave.
Really, maybe I should consider it
Old August 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM

Down here in Fl the rollbar requirement is 11.49, supposedly due to the number of production cars (Vipers, Vettes, etc) in the 11s.

Like Norm stated, 400 hp is easy enough, no need to get crazy. An early 350 block and heads will do it. A teeny bit more difficult if you want to run pump gas. Either way, if you can assemble it, there is no need to spend more than $4000

Speed Pro pistons pressed onto reworked rods $600
Camshaft, lifters, and springs $400
Grind crank $200
Oil pump and timing set $200
Quality bearings and rings, gasket set, freeze plugs, etc $400
Machine work, hot tank, bore, hone, new cam bearings, balance $700
#5-#7a heads ported for low lift flow, large intake valves, new liners and hardened seats (if needed) $1200-$1500.

These prices are all on the high end, too. Do some scrounging and horse trading and you can come in under that.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Non-production blocks, that had nothing to do with this topic.

Norm
I have to agree with Norm here. I was confused since I thought the discussion was about production diesel blocks, all of which came with 3" mains.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM

Since you brought it back up:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
........ the discussion was about production diesel blocks ........
It was. If the Troll had been clear, at the outset, about the difference, he would not have been able to trash (as was his intent) this thread.

I checked my original source. In this case, Olds didn't start the "back door" operations until after the "D" casting was history. Since the "DX" casting was all they had, it is what they used.

After 30+ years, my source is still accurate. In this case, it disagreed with my memory.

Norm
Old August 10th, 2008, 04:22 PM

My DX has .921 lifters and 3" mains. Used spacers and billet main caps to reduce to 2.5". I have seen a D block with .842 lifters. Saw one DX with .842s (wasn't for sale). Greg Godon (Greg's Performance) has some blocks he bought from WJ with .842s but also have 2.75" mains along with DX cast in them. They also have a siameze (sp?) bore. They were considered production for WJ to use them. The factory did some inconsistant and very strange sheet back then.

Nick
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
My DX has .921 lifters and 3" mains. Used spacers and billet main caps to reduce to 2.5". I have seen a D block with .842 lifters. Saw one DX with .842s (wasn't for sale). Greg Godon (Greg's Performance) has some blocks he bought from WJ with .842s but also have 2.75" mains along with DX cast in them. They also have a siameze (sp?) bore. They were considered production for WJ to use them. The factory did some inconsistant and very strange sheet back then.

Nick
"Considered production" is very different from a block that originally WAS a diesel engine in a production car available on the showroom floor. The discussion, I thought, was about the latter, not back door "production" blocks used for racing.
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:22 AM

WJ raced in Pro Stock.

NHRA didn't care what the original application was, as long as it had an Olds Part number, and could be purchased by anyone. Production diesel blocks fit into the rules perfectly, and factory support, included custom machine work for those competitors with “special needs”.

NASCAR had less restrictive rules, that allowed Batten heads with the matching Edelbrock intake. Siamese cylinders, and modified castings, would have been included in the exceptions.

Norm
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
why, just because you say he should? do you own a rollbar company?

The roofs on these cars are marshmallows.
No they are not, they are made of sheet metal, oldsmobile never made a production car with the roof constructed of a sweet treat made from sugar.

Set a case of beer on the top of em and they'll cave.
Again something that is so vague only a BS artist would post this. In my experience only a case of Fosters oilcans carry enough weight to cave in a room made of marshmallows, oldsmobile never made roofs out of marshmallows therefor a case of beer cannot cave one in.

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jokers69; August 11th, 2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: cause I'm so brilliant I can't spell..
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Senior Moment Member

Joker, are you posting like a certain unnamed person on this board to make fun? If so, your doing a perfect imitation of him. PM me what rotflmfao means will ya? I don't know what that means but am certain it can't printed on the board. Oh yeah, and Jeremy is a friend of mine. I'm sure he knows the stress limitations on his Olds (as far as beer goes), and yes, he does own his own roll bar co.

Last edited by z11375ss; August 11th, 2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling too.
Old August 11th, 2008, 04:16 PM

"Considered production" is very different from a block that originally WAS a diesel engine in a production car available on the showroom floor. The discussion, I thought, was about the latter, not back door "production" blocks used for racing.
I'm sorry, I saw the title and read "Has anybody used a 350 DX block?" I stated I have one and have seen versions of said D & DXs. Not sure who brought up the production requirement. Warren told Greg they were diesel blocks that Oldsmobile provided him. The blocks Warren had left all had DX cast in them. All the blocks that were provided drag racers and the NASCAR teams were enough to consider them production, I would venture to say.

Nick
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm sorry, I saw the title and read "Has anybody used a 350 DX block?" I stated I have one and have seen versions of said D & DXs. Not sure who brought up the production requirement. Warren told Greg they were diesel blocks that Oldsmobile provided him. The blocks Warren had left all had DX cast in them. All the blocks that were provided drag racers and the NASCAR teams were enough to consider them production, I would venture to say.

Nick
The DRCE is by no means a "production" block and it is readily accepted by NHRA. Same thing with the Olds "rocket block", which is an SBC. The generally accepted definition of "production" is hardware that was available on the showroom floor. On the other hand, as I re-read the thread, it's not clear that the intent was only to cover blocks used as production diesel engines.
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Smile

"On the other hand, as I re-read the thread, it's not clear that the intent was only to cover blocks used as production diesel engines."

That's where I kinda got lost, I saw no reference to production only blocks. In fact, in raadon's second post, he stated this,

"yup, the one mondello has should be small lifter too, or it is just a regular production block."

acknowledging that his was not a normal production block. However, I think it has been shown that there are blocks out there with "DX" stamped on them with several different lifter and main sizes, so look closely, you may get lucky and run across a rare piece.
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM

it's not clear that the intent was only to cover blocks used as production diesel engines.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/38995-post4.html

........ I was just looking for a different or cheaper route since Mondello has a new 350 DX block for $1500.
http://www.mondellotwister.com/EngineBlock.htm

Originally Posted by Mondellotwister
350 Diesel Block
New (not reconditioned) 7582 GM 5.7L 350 Diesel Short Block complete with pistons, rings and crankshaft (no camshaft) ........ $1499.00
I see no reason to think he was asking about anything but a production DX.

Norm
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by captjim
........ I saw no reference to production only blocks. In fact, in raadon's second post, he stated this,

yup, the one mondello has should be small lifter too, or it is just a regular production block.
Not just a little vague?

........ "DX" castings ('81 and newer) used .921" roller lifters, as opposed to the "D" castings ('80 and earlier) that used .842" flat tappets.

Is yours an exception? ........
Don't you think a simple yes, or no, would have ended it?

........ with "DX" stamped on them ........
Not "stamped".

"350 D" and "350 DX" are an integral part of the castings. The addition of the "X" was to identify it as an '81-newer block, and was the only difference between them.

Norm
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Both the DRCE and Rocket Block were designed and produced by Oldsmobile for specific applications. Much more beneficial to use Chevy style internals since there are many more aftermarket parts available. I have some Chevy style parts in my engine. I still consider it an Oldsmobile tho. In fact the only things left on my engine that were Olds production pieces are the block and crank.

Norm the D had shorter drilled and tapped main bolt holes than the DX.......or so I have been told.
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM

........ D had shorter drilled and tapped main bolt holes than the DX ........
As I understand it, the deeper holes were an engineering order, in response to a main bearing problem in the first "D" engines. Subsequent "D" blocks were drilled/tapped to the same depth as the later "DX" castings.

Norm
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:27 PM

"Looks like .842 lifters to me. They made a few of them. Greg Godon got a few of them from Warren Johnson a couple of years ago. A couple others on ROP had them. I bought this one I have in '95 for $250...so I'd sell it for $500."

His next post, seems pretty clear to me that he was describing a pretty rare and unusual casting.

Quote:
........ with "DX" stamped on them ........

Not "stamped".

"350 D" and "350 DX" are an integral part of the castings. The addition of the "X" was to identify it as an '81-newer block, and was the only difference between them.

Norm

That is some funny shyt right there, made me laugh right out loud. I pictured some stocky old lady walking down the line with a die and a big old mallet smacking "DX" into each block. hysterical. Only MIke (oldsman455) over at ROP does that, but you are now my new main man!
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Looks like .842 lifters to me ........
As I said, they are .921" lifters,

Originally Posted by Mondellotwister
350 Diesel Block
New (not reconditioned) 7582 GM 5.7L 350 Diesel Short Block complete with pistons, rings and crankshaft (no camshaft) ........ $1499.00
in a production DX block.

This told me:
      Not just a little vague?
      ........ "DX" castings ('81 and newer) used .921" roller lifters, as opposed to the "D" castings ('80 and earlier) that used .842" flat tappets.

Is yours an exception?
      If you cannot answer the question, just say so.

....... seems pretty clear to me that he was describing a pretty rare and unusual casting .........
      So "rare and unusual" that he would sell it for $500?

........ That is some funny shyt right there, made me laugh right out loud. I pictured some stocky old lady walking down the line with a die and a big old mallet smacking "DX" into each block. hysterical. Only MIke (oldsman455) over at ROP does that, but you are now my new main man!
      Having a little trouble keeping up with the rest of us?

Norm
      Old August 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM
      Senior Moment Member

Throw the f***in' towel in, somebody!
      Old August 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM

It is.

It doesn't have to:
      • It is a "DX" = they were bushed.
      • It is a "DX" = Spacers were used to make the 2½" crank fit into the 3" bore.
      Norm
      Throw in what towel? We are just BSing. How come when Norm stated the above, which is completely inaccurate (Art has a DX with .842 lifters and 2.5" mains without spacers) we are suddenly discussing "production blocks"? Sounds like Norm's comments were absolute to me. No room for any other option. Yet, there are "DX" blocks with .842s and 2.5" mains.

"Having a little trouble keeping up with the rest of us?"

Nope, I just found that extremely amusing and thanked you for it.

Last edited by captjim; August 12th, 2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: punctuation
      Old August 13th, 2008, 03:41 AM
      Senior Moment Member

k
      Old August 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM

........ We are just BSing ........
      Correction. You are the only one who is "just BSing".

You are "just BSing" because it is what you do when you cannot hold up your end of a discussion.

Here is is, again:

Is yours an exception? ........
      ........ If you cannot answer the question, just say so ........
      Norm
      Old August 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM