Gear Drive Timing Set $99?

Found here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OLDS-...item414e6a955c

Anyone know anything about this?

Why would it NOT fit a SBO?

Thanks,

sb
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:24 AM

It will fit a SB as well. There are other types as well such as the dual idler/Pete Jackson style. I question the quality of these though as the Pete Jackson ones used to sell for many hundreds.
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
It will fit a SB as well. There are other types as well such as the dual idler/Pete Jackson style. I question the quality of these though as the Pete Jackson ones used to sell for many hundreds.

Thanks. I figured it would fit a SBO, didn't understand why the seller was vehement about 455 fitment. I also question the quality. I wish I had a $100 to gamble with!

sb
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

I particularly like this quote from the ad:

Quality gear drive sets like these are over $300 in the mail order catalogs, get yours from us for less than half that!
The emphasis is the seller's. The way I read that is that if you want a quality gear drive set, pay $300, otherwise, buy his...
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:44 PM
car guy

A gear drive regardless of quality is bad for an engine. They put harmonics back in that you want out. If gears were good you would see pro engine builders using them. Look around you will see chains or belts from all the best engine builders.
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:57 PM

I have not used one from this guy. But I have that style of gear drive in my car for the last 7 years. It has been fine, If I do a cam change I will probably go to a chain set up.

Gene
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:13 AM

Over on ROP.com,people have issues with the 2 idler gear, style of gear drives (Pete Jackson), due to gears binding. Spolds over on ROP, has posted about a few failures he has witnessed.
This particular drive seems to not have the 2 gear binding issue, unsure of the quality of this unit.
If someone gets their hands on it, they are going to need to report on it.

Harmonics? Buzzwrd from the late 70's-early 80's from the likes of Jenkins, Yunick, Shepard, and Glidden. The only place I have seen evidence of harmonics doing anything is in the Valvesprings (bounce/float), and at the crankshaft/damper. Most spring harmonic issues are from too little pressure for the rpm's, and too much/little clearances. Valvetrain issues do not come from the crankshaft via gears.

I used to know a local guy who raced a SS Hemi car in the early 70's back in Iowa. He said the car was always a "tenth off" running "the number". He got his hands on a gear drive for it, and immediately installed it. Got the cam timing dead on the same point what it used to be. Ran 1 tenth slower. He played with timing for months to no avail. He could never pick up either one of those 2 tenths. He always said " It's another tenth slower, but my timing is right!!!".
Personally, I think it is because frictional losses due to the gear drive.
JMO
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; August 1st, 2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM

Can someone explain why people go with gear drive units? I get the deal with not having to worry about chains or belts stretching over time, but that's a big investment in time and money just so the chain won't stretch 15 years down the road.

I do understand getting rid of a belt drive since I had one snap in a Lebaron while driving and was shocked the engine didn't blow. I'd imagine there's no need to swap from a chain drive though. Especially if it's a double roller unit.
Old August 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bammax
Can someone explain why people go with gear drive units? ........
During the fifties, when the auto industry moved from gears to chains, some "racers" believed gears maintained more accurate valve/ignition timing. As chain designs improved, gear drives started to disappear from the lakes and strips.

Norm
Old August 6th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Been using a Pete Jackson gear drive for a long time with no problems. Thing looks brand new after thousands of miles. Just burnished nicely. I bought it a long time ago for around $180-200. Nice piece.
Old August 31st, 2018, 05:36 AM

Update on gear drive

I see that there hasn't been an update on this topic for quite sometime, and wanted to know if anyone has run any of the newer Gear Drives like the Milodon 14000 - Milodon Gear Drive Assemblies.
Looking at all possibilities before I button up the top end, I do have the newer Double Roller/Chain, but if there is someone that is running the Gear Drive would like to know if this Milodon 14000 - Milodon Gear Drive Assemblies is a good choice for my SBO...

Thanks
RR
Old September 1st, 2018, 05:55 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Go with the Cloyes Billet 9 way adjustable timing set and done. You can even get a premium chain option for way less than the Milodon gear dirve. The Billet roller set fits much better than the now discontinued Cloyes Street Roller. Macadoo shows in his 455 build post how much better the Billet set fit, my Street Roller set fit like the set he didn't use but is still working fine, just looks like a lot of play. Either way you need to degree the cam and the 9 way set will make it easy.