is the fuel sending unit for the base cutlass and supreme the same?

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Easy Does It!

is the fuel sending unit for the base cutlass and supreme the same?

my unit is bad and my auto parts store only has the one for the base model,does that mean that the base model will work on 70 supreme 350 4 barrel? also they have one with a return line and one without,which one do I need?

Last edited by Kidcutty; March 28th, 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old March 28th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Oldsdruid

The only difference is whether the car has airconditioning. A/C cars had a return line where non-A/C cars did not.

If your car has the return line on the fuel pump and the new sender does not, you just won't have any fuel return capability and may see some vapor lock once in a while.

If car doesn't have a return line and the new sender does, simply cap it at the tank to avoid gasoline vapors getting loose.

Parts book sez:

1970 F85 exc SW, VC or CAC: grp 3.107, p/n 6428034, gauge w/filter less fuel return pipe

1970 F85 V8 exc SW or VC: grp 3.107 p/n 6428632, gauge w/filter and fuel return pipe

These numbers are also used for other 68-70 applications. Keep in mind that for service purposes Olds considered ALL A-body cars to be F85's.

SW= Station Wagon, VC= Vista Cruiser, CAC= factory installed A/C.
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Easy Does It!

What if my car came with a/c but I removed it including the heater and all the emissions components,should I get the unit with or without the return line?
Originally Posted by rocketraider
The only difference is whether the car has airconditioning. A/C cars had a return line where non-A/C cars did not.

If your car has the return line on the fuel pump and the new sender does not, you just won't have any fuel return capability and may see some vapor lock once in a while.

If car doesn't have a return line and the new sender does, simply cap it at the tank to avoid gasoline vapors getting loose.

Parts book sez:

1970 F85 exc SW, VC or CAC: grp 3.107, p/n 6428034, gauge w/filter less fuel return pipe

1970 F85 V8 exc SW or VC: grp 3.107 p/n 6428632, gauge w/filter and fuel return pipe

These numbers are also used for other 68-70 applications. Keep in mind that for service purposes Olds considered ALL A-body cars to be F85's.

SW= Station Wagon, VC= Vista Cruiser, CAC= factory installed A/C.
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That would depend on whether you are running the fuel pump with the return line or the one without it, and whether you removed the return line from the frame when you removed the A/C.

- Eric
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Oldsdruid

If the car still has its return line intact and you have a fuel pump with return line (3 ports on it) get the one with a return line. It will give you a little more protection against vapor lock, which I think is important with this crap ethanol fuel we're forced to use.

All the return line is for is to keep cool fuel from the tank circulating in the lines so the fuel won't boil from underhood heat. With the return line, the pump will always have cooler liquid fuel to pump to the carb. Without it, it might have to try and pump bubbles which will create a vapor lock condition.
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Easy Does It!

Well what i think you mean by return line is the aluminum line that goes to the air filter can in the front is that correct?cuz if it is then i just removed the vapor can and capped the line with a mini air filter so what now?
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The fuel return line is a line that runs parallel to the fuel feed line from the tank to the fuel pump. It returns fuel from the fuel pump that is not used by the engine.
If you don't have one, then you should be using a two-pipe fuel pump (one in and one out) and a non-return sender.

- Eric