engine question

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM

engine question

i have a 68 442. 400 sb. when the car sits for about a week or so, it wont start. it cranks and cranks, just doesnt start. i wind up having to pour some gas in the carb. then it fires up.

anyone know why it does that? or does anyone have suggestions on what i can do??

thanks
Mike
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM

A 68 442 would have a 400 big block engine in it from the factory.....I suspect the quadrajet carb is leaking fuel down thru the casting plugs when it sits. When you try and start after a week the carb is dry and must be refilled by the fuel pump. This is why the starter must crank so much...I dont know a fix without replacing the carb or carb body. Your car should start after a lot of cranking.....if it doesnt maybe there is some float trouble or a restricted fuel filter or weak fuel pump.
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM

One fix, but expensive, is to change to an electric pump with a switch on the dash. My dads 400 in his 66 442 will not start after sitting either. 10 seconds with the pump on, it fires right up. The fuel pump on the motor MAY be suspect if it is old and not strong enough to fill the bowl during cranking, but sustains flow when running.

There may be some debris holding the needle open enought to allow the fuel to seep out of the carb bowl too.

Hope that helps.

John
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:27 PM

The carb fuel bowl should never empty unless sitting for long periods of time or in dry climate. If the choke and accelator pump are not functioning properly this could be an issue. The first thing you should check is if every time you press the gas does it squirt gas in the carb and secondly is the choke fully closed on start up. Chances are it is not a fuel pump because it starts after putting gas in the carb, if it was a fuel pump it would only use the gas you poured down the carb and stall or if was weak it would die out under heavy accelleration.
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by soocutlass
The carb fuel bowl should never empty unless sitting for long periods of time or in dry climate. If the choke and accelator pump are not functioning properly this could be an issue. The first thing you should check is if every time you press the gas does it squirt gas in the carb and secondly is the choke fully closed on start up. Chances are it is not a fuel pump because it starts after putting gas in the carb, if it was a fuel pump it would only use the gas you poured down the carb and stall or if was weak it would die out under heavy accelleration.
do you think having the carb rebuilt would help/fix the problems? does anyone know what it would cost to have one rebuilt?
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM

If you are uncertain about carburators and it has not been rebuilt before then it should be rebuilt which is cheaper than replacing it. You can by kits at any parts dealer but it should be done by someone who is a professional..
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by soocutlass
You can by kits at any parts dealer but it should be done by someone who is a professional..
oh definately. maybe ill try that in the coming weeks
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:25 AM
2Blue 55

I rebuilt mine, but it is still hell to start after awhile, don't get your hopes up, but it is worth a try, let us know how it fairs out for you.