engine & engine compartment colors

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Question engine & engine compartment colors

hello and thanks in advance,

I just pulled the stock 350 and trans out of my 72 convertible and now the fun begins. What i need toknow is what should be painted gold and what should be black? It is an ac car so i would like to paint the compressor and bracket for that as as well as the block, firewall frame... well to keep it short i want to paint everything to factory specs.

if anyone can give me a complete breakdon that would be great.

thanks again
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:44 PM

A complete break down may be hard...I just went thru something like this (again)on my 70 toro, which is a darker of two blues offered 66-72, tilting towards turquois, which no one sells and almost no one has redone right! ...stock colors should be still visible on your old parts (as mine were) unless some horses butt painted the whole thing wrong previously, even then under the brackets or the back side you'll find the right colors....for the truth it's best to go online and start looking at pics( I've seen some cutlasses blue) of members cars and the one I like best is ebay and look for that perfect 10 the guy wants 3 million dollars for, an all original 10,000 mile car ect. ....and or the numbers matching seller as these guys are more likely to get it right after having done the research....I've been doing this stuff forever and one of the best colors for the black is from ace hardware spray can "semi flat black"...for all brackets and even your air cleaner if it's a black one....and use high heat primer on all bare metal, duplicolor high heat primer from any auto parts store works great, first, over a CLEAN SURFACE...go to a auto paint supply store and buy a five gallon can of wash lacquer thinner for cleaning let it soak a bit, if you start cleaning and have your head in the bucket all day you'll get real stoned.......good luck...but now that I looked at the date of your post you're already done!...guess I'll have another beer...

Last edited by Olds64; March 18th, 2010 at 05:57 AM. Reason: no cussing please
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Some good info! Too much is never too much...

Originally Posted by vettemad
...but now that I looked at the date of your post you're already done!...guess I'll have another beer...
According to this thread,
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post158509
he is ready to pull the motor again, so no advice wasted...