Chinese AC Delco

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2021, 05:24 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I just purchased NGKs XR5s after years of dedicated AC and Autolite use... WHY? because they are not china junk!
Old February 17th, 2021, 05:26 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you want new OEM Delco Remy points and condenser go to ebay ands search for a 1931988 (points) and a 1932004 (condenser). I don't have the part number for the rotor in my head.
Old February 17th, 2021, 06:04 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

x2
The NOS items are still available.
Old February 18th, 2021, 05:08 AM

Just curious . . . . has anyone here actually had a problem with AC Delco parts bought new in the last 5 years ??? No matter where they were made ??? I replaced the plugs, cap rotor and wires in my 99 Tahoe about a year ago. Same with my Wifes 84 Riviera about 2 years ago when I rebuilt the engine. I honestly did not pay attention as the where the parts were made. I bought them from the local AC Delco distributor 2 blocks from my shop. I have put them in every single GM engine I have ever built. Getting ready to do my S-10 truck.

Point is, I have never had a single problem with any of them.

Dont really want to get into the politics side of this but ....... I have a question for those of you that are blaming corporate greed. How many of you have retirement accounts of any type or invest in the stock market on your own ???? Every single one of those accounts is funded by corporate profits. Would all of you guys be willing to give up some of your IRA's if it meant that everything could be made here in the USA ??? Think about it.
Old February 18th, 2021, 05:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BillK
Just curious . . . . has anyone here actually had a problem with AC Delco parts bought new in the last 5 years ???
Yeah, I have. See the photo of the distributor cap I bought in Post #6. Also, there's the heater control valve that I paid dearly for that failed in a month. And don't get me started on the quality differences in oil filters today.
Old February 18th, 2021, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, I have.
I guess I have been lucky ? I buy everything possible for all of my vehicles from Delcoline which is the local AC Delco distributor. I just bought a window motor for the Tahoe last week. I have Delco batteries in the Tahoe and the Buick. I simply cannot remember having a problem with an AC Delco part. I wonder if yours could have been a knock off ? I always get my parts from either Delcoline or the dealer.
Old February 18th, 2021, 05:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BillK
I guess I have been lucky ? I buy everything possible for all of my vehicles from Delcoline which is the local AC Delco distributor. I just bought a window motor for the Tahoe last week. I have Delco batteries in the Tahoe and the Buick. I simply cannot remember having a problem with an AC Delco part. I wonder if yours could have been a knock off ? I always get my parts from either Delcoline or the dealer.
Actually, I forgot the worst one. I bought a brand new (not rebuilt) AC Delco CS130 for my truck. The rear bearing failed within a month. This allowed the armature to tilt in the case, grinding on the stator. I was 90 miles from home at the time. Fortunately, I was able to walk to an Autozone less than a mile away and buy a Duralast rebuilt that was on the shelf. That one's been in the truck for about four years now. Sorry, but I've stopped buying their parts. Unfortunately, much of the historical capability of AC Delco is long gone. Keep in mind that AC Rochester and Delco Electronics were spun off from GM into Delphi Systems years ago.
Old February 18th, 2021, 04:23 PM

Before you buy what you think is a better quality plug, check into what the counterfeiters are selling. Both NGK and Delco have been hit by counterfeits. Especially those sold on Amazon and Ebay
Old February 21st, 2021, 05:46 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

[QUOTE
Don't really want to get into the political side of this but ....... I have a question for those of you that are blaming corporate greed. How many of you have retirement accounts of any type or invest in the stock market on your own ???? Every single one of those accounts is funded by corporate profits. Would all of you guys be willing to give up some of your IRA's if it meant that everything could be made here in the USA ??? Think about it.[/QUOTE]

Not blaming anyone and not going political. it's a personal stance. We are in control. Hit them in the wallet. Just doing my part by not buying inferior junk. And doing the same job over and over. Most of the time the junk just isn't safe. Upper lower A-arm kits, Ball Joints the list is large.

And hell yes, I'd be willing to give up some of my investment profit if it meant we could get our heads out of our asses here in what once was the great USA. Show the corporate gooneys there are some willing to not bandwagon. We need to start making things again. harborjunk, hell NO.

My experience is I can no longer find anything that isn't chineasium junk. 5 dehumidifiers two clothes washers in 7 years! I'm a family of 1. Are you frigging kidding me? Bend me over. I bought the better stuff ...so I thought, Take the word durable out of durable goods, It's all disposable junk. Remember when a clothes washer went 20-30 years. You get 7 now. I'm discovering the $99 dehumidifier has the same guts as the $400 unit! Same for the washer. $300, 800, 2000 same schnitzel azz internals.

Ill clean an old set of plugs or clean an old rotor or cap before buying todays inferior zero durable no-duty junk. Why bother manufacturing and wasting resources.
I practice what I preach. I'll spend more to get the better stuff...when I can find it. That's the problem it can not be found.

I do garage sales, flea markets, estate sales and evil bay for NOS etc. I'll do whatever it takes to keep my money onshore. I am so PO'ed that I can not find quality anything anymore. It makes me sick!

Back to your regularly scheduled program...watch out for fakes.
https://www.ngkntk.com/ae/newsroom/b...to-avoid-them/
Old February 22nd, 2021, 07:11 AM
72 Olds CS

Im with you droldsmoreland.

i do think it really is corporate greed. I work for a relatively small company. Despite its backasswards nature i enjoyed working there because it has local origins, the different parts of the business were filled w long time employees and many employees had relatives that worked there too. We made our own product, as well as designed and tested it. The CEO was a local guy, many of the officers had worked their way up thru the company! We were successful and the people that worked there were the reason why.

in 2015 the old CEO retired, the new CEO was completely different. We sold 1/3 of the company to an investment firm (inserts roll eyes) we dont make our product anymore, its made in taiwan, we dont test or assemble it either. We still design it. Almost All the people 400ish people i worked with are gone laid off retired quit or in some cases fired (probably some justified)

the world headquarters building i worked at was sold. HQ moved to an office park in a rented building, i now work in a different from HQ rented building. The company went public, the none of the few remaining longtime employees received any perks, the ceo, and several of the newer hired officers just sold stocks, the CEO netted 33 million and still retains 66% of his stock holdings, other short time employees also cashed out for lesser amounts but still millions each.

in summation long time employees made the company successful, current ceo focused only on short term profits.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 07:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
in summation long time employees made the company successful, current ceo focused only on short term profits.
And this will continue so long as senior management compensation is tied to next quarter profits and not long term company growth. Blame the board of directors and ultimately the stockholders. Bottom line is that human nature is to do what is in your own personal interest. If your salary and bonus and stock options are tied to short term P&L, well guess what?
Old February 22nd, 2021, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
....in summation long time employees made the company successful, current ceo focused only on short term profits.
This is a story that has been happening since the 1980's and before. There were labor unions pushing "Buy Union and Buy American" back in the 1960's and 1970's.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 09:35 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think corporate greed is the main culprit but consumers wanting cheap prices certainly has to be a factor. I won't get into labor unions because that would get way too political.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 10:16 AM
72 Olds CS

Im familier w the story...used to work for digital equipment (DEC)

as soon as i saw the tell tale signs happening at my current company i told my coworkers ( mostly lifers at the company). Most were in disbelief, same way i was at DEC...the couple longterm employees left understand now. incredibly we still get occaisional new hires who dont comprehend why would we hire someone when the current facility is definetly a short term prospect. I just tell them its business as usual...until it isnt.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 11:09 AM

Life was great for my family and me in the early late 1950's and early 1960's. Your money went a long way.

I was very young! But the best I can reminder. To me this started all back in the 60's. US Steel wanted to rises the price of steel. After JFK warned them twice on national TV. There was no reason, other then higher profits and dangerously inflationary. US Steel said they were going to rise anyway. JFK came on a third time and announce the US Government would start selling the mothballed steel Liberty Ship fleet at a discounted price. Undercutting US steel. US Steel backed down. This and many other emiemes he made was his end. After he was gone, corporations started rising prices. To me, it the beginning of the new robber barons.

In the early days of the Reagan Administration, steel firms won substantial tax breaks in order to compete with imported goods. But instead of modernizing their mills, steel companies shifted capital out of steel and into more profitable areas. Unions who were badly needs to protect the American works at the turn of the 19th century. Today some Unions are corrupt.

Like the old saying, The rich get richer, the poor get children.