Carburetor Help

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2016, 01:29 PM

Carburetor Help

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice please. My 71 cutlass 350 came with a Holley carb, edelbrock performer intake, and aftermarket cam. Performance has been ok and got better after I had a new MSD ignition system installed. My electric choke stopped working recently and I'm wondering if I should put any money into my Holley or purchase a replacement? If a replacement what's the best option for my setup? I'm looking for reliability and reasonable performance.

See photos of my setup, from research it looks like I have a 750 Cfm which seems high?

Thanks,

Pete

Old September 5th, 2016, 02:40 PM
72 Olds CS

Carbs are like oil everyone has their opinions.

If all you need is an e choke those are not much money. If you want better economy and as original performance get a q jet.

The 71 350 is ~200hp net if your needing more performance replace the lower carburetor 350 unit w the lower carburetor 455 unit, performance will double economy will hardly change.

I replaced my original 350 w a 455 and the car is easily 2x funner to drive and mileage is about the same, at the same time I replaced the edlebrock carb w a rebuilt q jet and after a few tweaks the car responds instantly when I step on the gas.

FYI there is a rebuilt 455 that has been advertised on Worcester cl for a couple months....you pull it.
Old September 5th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have the same carb on my 355 . I'm running 12.60's but i ran an edelbrock 600 carb on many of my 350's in the past with no issues. It comes down to engine needs and wants. I don't run a choke at all on my holley but it idles on its own pretty good just after a few seconds of holding the gas at a high idle. They vac. Secondary holley is a good carb. I would fix the choke issue and call it good. Holleys are pretty easy to fix. If the car runs good with it I wouldn't change it
Old September 5th, 2016, 04:51 PM

Thank you for the responses. I'm not looking to replace the motor, just get it to perform as good as possible. Other than responsiveness what else will the quadrajet impact? Will it perform better as far as horsepower or torque? Will it be more reliable?

The Holley performs ok but lately it's been backfiring sometimes when I blip the throttle when out of gear. My gut feeling is that it needs a rebuild and tune.

Thanks,

Pete
Old September 5th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The Qjet should get better part throttle fuel economy, if it is tuned for your motor. A Street Demon 625 or 750 cfm, depending on what is done to your motor for the size, is another option. It is very similar to the Qjet, will give good mileage and performance. Based heavily off the Carter Thermoquad, an all new 3 barrel castings, with finish and an Aerospace polymer body options. The cost will be a wash vs a properly built Qjet due to the core charge on the Qjet.