Caprice Wagon 307 Olds 1987

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2020, 10:40 AM

Question Caprice Wagon 307 Olds 1987

Good day to you all!

Can someone tell me what this thing is? Looks like there is supposed to be a air/vacuum line connected to it. The number written on it is 7907198. When i google it i find nothing. I saw it hanging when i removed the ecu because i am doing a complete computer delete. Do i need it now i dont have a computer at all? Or can i just unplug it and lay it in the shelf?

Greetings Jeroen Dogge

Old March 11th, 2020, 11:00 AM

It is the MAP sensor (manifold air pressure) it needs intake manifold vacuum if the CCC computer system was operating.
Old March 11th, 2020, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
It is the MAP sensor (manifold air pressure) it needs intake manifold vacuum if the CCC computer system was operating.
Wow, so thats maybe why the ran ran so badly when cold?
Old March 11th, 2020, 11:16 AM

It definitely would have made it run less well under all conditions; but, most cold operation problems are carburetor/choke adjustment related. When dialed in the CCC cars ran well.
Old March 11th, 2020, 03:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
No, the MAP sensor is on the passenger side inner fender under the hood. That is the barometric pressure sensor. Since the fuel bowl in a carb is vented to atmosphere, changes in atmospheric pressure will change mixture ratio. This is why high altitude cars are jetted differently from sea level cars. The baro sensor may LOOK like a MAP sensor, but it does NOT have anything connected to that port. It must sense atmospheric pressure.

And yes, this is all spelled out in the Chassis Service Manual...
Old March 11th, 2020, 07:53 PM

Thanks Joe, learned something today. It fooled me looking like a MAP sensor.
Old March 12th, 2020, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No, the MAP sensor is on the passenger side inner fender under the hood. That is the barometric pressure sensor. Since the fuel bowl in a carb is vented to atmosphere, changes in atmospheric pressure will change mixture ratio. This is why high altitude cars are jetted differently from sea level cars. The baro sensor may LOOK like a MAP sensor, but it does NOT have anything connected to that port. It must sense atmospheric pressure.

And yes, this is all spelled out in the Chassis Service Manual...
Do you maybe also know what this one is for? Now i totally removed my ecu and the wiring loom that was attached. I have this one still plugged in and i dont know if i can unplug it also and lay on the shelf now i dont have a ecu anymore. When hi google it it says clutch relay or something 10034223.

Thanks in advance

Old March 12th, 2020, 02:58 AM

And at last. Does the whole fender needs to come of to get the ecu cables tru the ''floorpan''? Because i think the rubber it runs tru is screwed in place with 2 screws.

Greetings
Jeroen Dogge
Old March 12th, 2020, 08:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

At a minimum you have to unbolt the rear of the fender and pull it away from the cowl to access the fasteners that hold that ECU harness in place. I did that on a car in a wrecking yard where I didn't care about damaging the fender.

That relay appears to be the A/C cutout relay.
Old March 17th, 2020, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
At a minimum you have to unbolt the rear of the fender and pull it away from the cowl to access the fasteners that hold that ECU harness in place. I did that on a car in a wrecking yard where I didn't care about damaging the fender.

That relay appears to be the A/C cutout relay.
Thank you a lot Joe, You have been very helpfull to me!

Greetings,
Jeroen Dogge