burning oil

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM

burning oil

well we just finished the car. I'll post some pics later. I went up to St. ignace friday with it for the show and noticed it's burning oil on the left bank. It's a fresh rebuild on a 350 but it over heated on my dad three days ago after the a/c compressor locked up and the fans shut off. It looks like oil is leaking onto the intake from the bolt on top of cylinder 3. Me and my dad are going to compression test at least that side to see whats going on. It ran fine but it would hesitate during acceleration sometimes but it used about 3qts of oil there and back which is about 460mi both ways. We had no choice but to drive it we just added oil. Is it possible it's just the intake gasket? and its just sucking oil from the valley? I know the compression test will get us started at least. Im hoping we don't have to go through the engine again.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:51 PM

We did a compression test and all seems fine there. I've had a couple people say its valve seals and someone else said it could be because it only has 550 miles on it and it's not broke in even though it burned a lot of oil and to put another 500 on it and see if it stops. Any ideas?
Old July 5th, 2012, 01:57 AM

500 miles is broken in. When you say oil is coming from the bolt on top of cyl 3 which bolt are you talking about? An intake manifold bolt? A head bolt? Or a valve cover bolt? Is there any way you can take a picture of the location you are talking about? That would help...

Steve
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Anything is possible, define overheat. What temp did it reach?
Old July 5th, 2012, 10:54 AM

Intake bolt. It got up to 250 degrees. We took the intake off you can see oil in the cylinders but all the bolts to the intake didn't seem very tight which would be our fault. We did torque them but we never did check them again after we ran it a few times. I'm not sure if it was just because of that or if its something else.