Broken bolt

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2014, 06:31 AM

Broken bolt

Got a 61 f85 with the 215 aluminum engine. There is a broken intake manifold bolt below the surface. Any suggestions on how to get it out? Now I know why the guy didn't put the intake back together. Lesson learned.
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:33 AM
major noob

Ez outs is my guess but first let some wd40 work its way into the threads
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Carefully drill a hole into the center of the bolt the correct size for an extractor or EZ out. There are also reverse cutting drill bits, not very expensive, and you may get lucky and have the bolt come out as your drilling the hole. I lay a towel in the lifter galley and stuff the head ports with rags. Carefully vacuum all the chips and shavings out of the engine when finished.
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:37 AM

If there is any room at all a good tig man can weld a stud to the broken bolt and use a vice grip or pipe wrench to turn it out.Works most of the time.

If you do drill and use a easy out be damn sure not to get off center and drill into the threads. that makes a difficult job almost impossible. The only thing worse is to break the easy out off after its stuck in the threads ...Tedd
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:57 PM

You have some good advice. I'm assuming that it is broken below the surface of the head. I am also assuming that the head is worth saving. If you are unfamiliar with doing this type of work, you will need to be very careful or the head will be damaged significantly. If you want to be sure to save it, take off the head, bring it to a knowledgeable automotive machinist and get his opinion. He has probably seen more of this than all of us. When the drilling is done on a drill press it is far better controlled than "free hand". The cost may not be prohibitive, and you will learn a good lesson. I have had some extracted successfully @ $20 each, (but I was an "old customer").