Bent pushrods on a warmed up 350

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:41 PM

Bent pushrods on a warmed up 350

I bought my old car back a couple years ago and haven't been able to do much with it until now. I am hoping to put it back on the road. Since I sold the car, it received a high performance rebuild. I know the guy that had the car. When he first got it running, he raced someone and bent some push rods. I am assuming an over rev? Anyway, fast forward I got it and needed to pull the intake (had a leak). Upon inspection, I found three slightly bent pushrods. I don't know if these were all changed out and this happened again or if these are from the original batch of pushrods that he had that bent the first time. This engine did not have issues when I owned it, but it was very close to stock. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to drive this yet....just looking for some ideas. Here are a list of the mods done....

#5 heads oversized valves and mild port & bowl work
Ball park 9.8:1 compression, I believe 362 Ci
Comp XE284 cam
Comp roller tip rockers
comp push rods ( matched to use with their rockers)
Edelbrock RPM intake
1" carb spacer
Holley 770 Street Avenger
Headers

I don't know if the heads have been surfaced too much, making the push rods too long? (Standard Felpro head gaskets by the way)
Or possibly just over-revved. Valve springs should be as recommended from comp. Any thoughts would be great. Any rough power ratings would be great too. Thanks
Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:35 AM

That's a lot of cam for an 9.8:1 small block.
Just because they may be the correct springs from Comp doesn't automatically mean they were installed at the right height. I'd check that as well as if the retainers are kissing the guides.

What gear do you have?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by tinner
I bought my old car back a couple years ago and haven't been able to do much with it until now. I am hoping to put it back on the road. Since I sold the car, it received a high performance rebuild. I know the guy that had the car. When he first got it running, he raced someone and bent some push rods. I am assuming an over rev? Anyway, fast forward I got it and needed to pull the intake (had a leak). Upon inspection, I found three slightly bent pushrods. I don't know if these were all changed out and this happened again or if these are from the original batch of pushrods that he had that bent the first time. This engine did not have issues when I owned it, but it was very close to stock. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to drive this yet....just looking for some ideas. Here are a list of the mods done....

#5 heads oversized valves and mild port & bowl work
Ball park 9.8:1 compression, I believe 362 Ci
Comp XE284 cam
Comp roller tip rockers
comp push rods ( matched to use with their rockers)
Edelbrock RPM intake
1" carb spacer
Holley 770 Street Avenger
Headers

I don't know if the heads have been surfaced too much, making the push rods too long? (Standard Felpro head gaskets by the way)
Or possibly just over-revved. Valve springs should be as recommended from comp. Any thoughts would be great. Any rough power ratings would be great too. Thanks
Bent pushrods is always something seriously wrong. maybee the spring heigt (coilbind!) isīnt enough or the distance between the valve retainer and the valve guide is to short? I have #5 heads (short spring) and 0.535 valve lift and that barely what the my springs can manage without grinding down the spring seats (very close tocoilbind). You should check that)

Stanley
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the responses. I will have to take a closer look at things. The pushrods were very mildly tweaked. So if I understand this correctly, I may possibly need to add shims ? Or am I looking at things wrong?
I know this is a large cam for this, it wouldn't have been my choice. He had the XE268 in it, but wanted more of a lopey tone to it. I actually have the 268 also. The car has 3:73 gears in back.
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:44 PM
car guy

If its coil bind shims will make it worse. If its retainer clearance shims will do nothing. You need to see where the bind is and add clearance not take it away.