Belt part numbers for 403?

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2024 | 09:29 PM
1988 Delta 88

Belt part numbers for 403?

Mine only came with one belt that since it was being thrown I can't even be sure is the correct one. I've looked around and the closest I've been able to find was this post, but that's for a different car (mine's a 98) so I'm not sure if the 350 diagram is applicable. I figured rather than guess it seemed like a good idea to get the original part numbers and do an interchange search to find their current equivalents. If that diagram Joe posted a while ago will work, fantastic I'll go with that. Otherwise if anyone has a different set of numbers I'd be grateful, thank you.
Old October 15th, 2024 | 09:31 PM

Maybe if you told us what vehicle you’re working on we could give useful information.
Old October 15th, 2024 | 10:02 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by fun71
maybe if you told us what vehicle you’re working on we could give useful information.
1978 98, 403 v8
Old October 15th, 2024 | 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by illumined
1978 98, 403 v8

Belt listing on Rock Auto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rive,belt,8900
Old October 15th, 2024 | 11:19 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by Fun71
Just because they say they fit doesn't mean they do. There's many lengths on there, I'd prefer to know what I need as opposed to guessing.
Old Yesterday | 03:12 AM

Service belts. This chart should help. Last column. It appears it also depends on if you have A/C, 80 Amp alternaor or not, smog pump, 2.56 gears (GM8) or 3.23 gears (GU5) for example, and other optons as well. Should be able to cross reference. You can always use string to measure approximate lengths needed if custom setup.

Old Yesterday | 08:53 AM

I would just go to the local auto parts store and tell them what car and engine you have. Let them look up and sell you the correct belts. If they turn out to be the wrong size, which is highly unlikely, you can just return them for one that is shorter or longer as needed.

I have both a '77 and a '78 Toronado, and both have a 403. I've purchased all the belts for them at the local Advance or Autozone. Both have been very helpful, and I've never had a problem.

There is no need to make this more complicated than it needs to be. In the time it took you to start this thread, you could have been to the store and back with your new belts.

Old Yesterday | 08:58 AM
Administrator

Note, if you are throwing belts, you have an alignment issue.
Old Yesterday | 09:24 AM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by 69HO43
Service belts. This chart should help. Last column. It appears it also depends on if you have A/C, 80 Amp alternaor or not, smog pump, 2.56 gears (GM8) or 3.23 gears (GU5) for example, and other optons as well. Should be able to cross reference. You can always use string to measure approximate lengths needed if custom setup.

Perfect, this is exactly what I need. Thank you so much.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Note, if you are throwing belts, you have an alignment issue.
Yes, one of the pulleys wasn't straight and if I can't get it back on straight I'll just replacement.
Old Yesterday | 09:25 AM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I would just go to the local auto parts store and tell them what car and engine you have. Let them look up and sell you the correct belts. If they turn out to be the wrong size, which is highly unlikely, you can just return them for one that is shorter or longer as needed.

I have both a '77 and a '78 Toronado, and both have a 403. I've purchased all the belts for them at the local Advance or Autozone. Both have been very helpful, and I've never had a problem.

There is no need to make this more complicated than it needs to be. In the time it took you to start this thread, you could have been to the store and back with your new belts.
I tried that approach, didn't work out so well.
Old Yesterday | 01:06 PM

There's many lengths on there, I'd prefer to know what I need as opposed to guessing.
Below is the reason all those different belts are listed on Rock Auto's web site. Also as said below, it's kinda up to you to determine which configuration your vehicle is - we aren't able to do that over the internet.

Originally Posted by 69HO43
It appears it also depends on if you have A/C, 80 Amp alternaor or not, smog pump, 2.56 gears (GM8) or 3.23 gears (GU5) for example, and other optons as well.
Old Today | 07:08 AM

I tried that approach, didn't work out so well.
What was the problem?
Old Today | 07:46 AM

I still don't see what you gain in any of this.

Let's take the power steering belt, for example. Assuming your car has air-conditioning, the belt listed is part number FY-9433742. If you google that number, this turns up at Amazon.

Note the length of the belt. 45 inches.

Now go to, say, the Autozone website. Do a search for a power steering belt for a '78 98 with air-conditioning, and you get this. It's the same belt as far as length, and that's what matters. Duralast is the Autozone house brand, and you may want a more name brand, and that's fine. Find a vendor who sells a Gates or whatever belt of the same size and buy it.

A trip over to Rockauto.com shows several different brands:

Gates 7445: 45.33 inches in length
Dayco 15450: 45.57 inches in length
Continental 15456: 45.6 inches in length.

Adding the two above:
Duralast 15450: 45.0 inches in length
D&D belt on Amazon: 45.07 inches in length

Guess what? You need a 45-inch belt for the power steering pump. You don't need to do a deep dive into ancient part numbers to find this out.

The problem is not that you don't have the original part numbers. If the belt specified for you car doesn't fit, the problem is not the belt or the brand of belt. The problem is with the car.

I'm guessing it's similar for the other belts. And, again, if you get the wrong belt, no big deal. It's not like you're replacing an internal part which would require tearing apart something significant if the new part turned out to be the wrong one. A wrong belt is easily remedied with a trip back to the store with the knowledge that you need a slightly longer or slightly shorter belt, whatever the case may be. Then it's ten minutes to reinstall it on the car.
Old Today | 06:09 PM

Here's a picture for mine before it disassembled the motor