Anyone Ever Modified an Edelbrock 3711 intake?

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2012, 05:34 AM

Anyone Ever Modified an Edelbrock 3711 intake?

This may be an off the wall question, but I've been searching for a nice used intake for a while now and recently discovered there is a 2711(non egr, non heat tube) and a 3711(both egr and heat tube). Now my car doesn't have an egr, but does have a heat tube, but I can't use an edelbrock carb on the 3711 because of the throttle linkage.

I got to thinking, sure I can use a spacer, and it'll look sort of mickey mouse, but what if I ground down the egr ear as far as I could, would there be enough room for the linkage to clear. It's going to be blocked off anyway, who cares if I use the stock bolt holes, or a sealant?

Just an idea. Used 3711 intakes are plentiful and can be had cheap. Might be work an experiment.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:05 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

You could also modify your linkage.
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
You could also modify your linkage.

How? I'm trying to get idea's before I buy everything, trying to reduce down time...
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:04 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

The edlebrock carb has multiple hook up locations for the throttle cable . Find out which one you will use and trim or cut the fat off with a cut off wheel. Just make sure it's got no gas in it or fumes other wise you might be stuck using a hack saw. I ran a 1 inch space and bent the throttle linkage on the carb to clear the egr. That part of the linkage that hits is for the kick down I think. But the kick down can also be repositioned and trimmed to length. There are kits out there to trim them down. All it really is ., it's a collar with a set screw . This is one of those situtations you gotta get creative with. Running a spacer was easy enough. If you run an aluminum spacer it will look like it's meant to be too.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:11 AM

Short spacer is barely noticable under a holley or ebrock carb with an electric choke. Just use the block off plates included with the 3711 for the egr and choke ports. That's how mine is set up.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:14 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I ground the EGR cover to clear, when I ran a Thermoquad. It still seals, just use a gasket and high temp RTV.
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
The edlebrock carb has multiple hook up locations for the throttle cable . Find out which one you will use and trim or cut the fat off with a cut off wheel. Just make sure it's got no gas in it or fumes other wise you might be stuck using a hack saw. I ran a 1 inch space and bent the throttle linkage on the carb to clear the egr. That part of the linkage that hits is for the kick down I think. But the kick down can also be repositioned and trimmed to length. There are kits out there to trim them down. All it really is ., it's a collar with a set screw . This is one of those situtations you gotta get creative with. Running a spacer was easy enough. If you run an aluminum spacer it will look like it's meant to be too.
Thanks. If you bent the linkage on the carb, wouldn't it bind up? I'm thinking an inch spacer is a lot of spacer.

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Short spacer is barely noticable under a holley or ebrock carb with an electric choke. Just use the block off plates included with the 3711 for the egr and choke ports. That's how mine is set up.
Short spacer? I was told probably would need 1.25"-1.5" to clear it. How big is your spacer? Can you post a pictures of that side of the carb?

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I ground the EGR cover to clear, when I ran a Thermoquad. It still seals, just use a gasket and high temp RTV.
This was another idea, or I could just make a thin thin cover, engrave it with the rocket logo at work, and put that on. You don't happen to have a picture of what you did, do you?
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:29 PM

I cut my throttle linkage. I think when I looked into this the amount to be ground down seemed like a lot but that probably depends on the carb too. I ran a quadrajet. I'd like to see pics of EGR ground down also.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:04 AM

Been too busy, but will try to get a pic tonight or tomorrow. 1/2" aluminum spacer under a holley and generic bracket on the corner mounting stud. Throttle cable has no issues but kickdown is a little tight. That may not be an issue if you have the factory setup run to the gas pedal, on my to-do list.