Adjusting roller tip rockers. Bottoming out

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2021, 03:11 PM

Roller tip rockers binding, pushrod length?

I'm adjusting my rollertip rockers. The problem I'm having is comp recommends not using both springs for break in so I'm only using the outer spring. I'm doing the procedure of tighten the nut until there is friction on the pushrod. Went around two times and they were all pretty much right. The problem is I found a couple pushrods that were complete loose and not touching the rockers. This is because the spring isn't coming back and the valve is hanging. I don't know if this is because the rockers are to tight? or the valves are getting stuck and not allowing the spring to come back? I tap them and they'll spring back. The pushrods are not to short or to long. The nut is almost all the way down on the stud.

Edit:I read another thread and pushrods may be to short.
These are 8.305 but if I go any further I'm pretty sure the patter will be to far towards the exhaust side.

Last edited by HarrySlother; August 18th, 2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old August 18th, 2021, 04:09 PM

They are definitely binding. Will longer pushrods actually fix this?
Old August 18th, 2021, 06:00 PM

I'd also add that I checked the length with the hydraulic lifters not pumped up. I've read you either need a checking spring or a solid lifter. I would still be running into this problem though right? Because if they were pumped up it would result in either no bind or requiring shorter pushrods, but when I go to tighten them down now they're going to still bind because no hydraulic. It's a fresh build and I don't know wether I should go longer pushrods or leave them something loose until I can get it running and pump them up.
Old August 19th, 2021, 04:06 AM

Harry,
Back them all off. Then instead of tightening them until there is "friction" on the pushrod just grab the pushrod and jiggle it up and down as you tighten the nut. When you cant feel any more up and down movement. Then add your 1/2 turn or so. Also, how are you determining if the valve you are adjusting is on the bottom of the cam lobe ?

Also, if the valves are binding with those springs then you have something else seriously wrong. Those springs should easily be closing the valves completely.

I dont know where you are located and please dont take this the wrong way but I really suggest that you have somebody with a little more experience come and take a look at it for you. I think you are doing something wrong in your adjusting procedure.
Old August 19th, 2021, 04:30 AM

I adjust roller lifters using EOIC….lots of info on google.

Last edited by dc2x4drvr; August 19th, 2021 at 06:24 AM.
Old August 19th, 2021, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
I adjust roller lifters using IOEC ….lots of info on google.
Actually EOIC Exhaust opening / Intake closing
Old August 19th, 2021, 06:28 AM

I think your pushrods are too short.
Old August 19th, 2021, 09:24 AM

Harry,
Is your intake still off ?
Old August 19th, 2021, 09:30 AM

With it being a new build I would guess you bottomed out the lifter. With no oil pressure and just turning rocker arm nut it would be hard to find resistance then another half turn. Hopefully your intake is off and you could look at cups of lifters to see where they are in lifters. My guess would be at the bottom.
Old August 19th, 2021, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by BillK
Harry,
Is your intake still off ?
Yes. It's a fresh build. I'm going to measure the pushrod length again. Should I do it with a solid lifter?
Old August 19th, 2021, 10:09 AM

Harry,
Before you worry about the pushrod length try this and make sure you are doing the adjustment properly.
1. Loosen up both rockers on the number one cylinder
2. Put your finger on the exhaust valve lifter for number one cylinder and push it down against the cam.
3. Start turning the engine over by hand while still pushing the lifter down. As soon as you feel that lifter start to move, stop turning the engine.
4. Now go to the #1 intake pushrod.
5. Make sure the intake lifter is all the way down on the cam.
6. Grab the intake pushrod and jiggle it up and down while you tighten the rocker arm. Stop as soon as all of the up and down play is gone. If you go too far the pushrod will start to push the plunger in the lifter down. At that point you should be just about at the correct valve adjustment for the intake.
7. Take a look at how far the nut is down on that rocker compared to all of the other you have adjusted and report back

Old August 19th, 2021, 10:24 AM

Harry,
Before you worry about the pushrod length try this and make sure you are doing the adjustment properly.
1. Loosen up both rockers on the number one cylinder
2. Put your finger on the exhaust valve lifter for number one cylinder and push it down against the cam.
3. Start turning the engine over by hand while still pushing the lifter down. As soon as you feel that lifter start to move, stop turning the engine.
4. Now go to the #1 intake pushrod.
5. Make sure the intake lifter is all the way down on the cam.
6. Grab the intake pushrod and jiggle it up and down while you tighten the rocker arm. Stop as soon as all of the up and down play is gone. If you go too far the pushrod will start to push the plunger in the lifter down. At that point you should be just about at the correct valve adjustment for the intake.
7. Take a look at how far the nut is down on that rocker compared to all of the other you have adjusted and report back

Pushrod checker set to 8.41. mark didn't come out that defined.

If you can see it, there's a little gouge mark where the rocker was sitting with the 8.305 pushrod, this is what was causing them to bind up. you can see where the rockers sitting above that with the checker set to 8.41. it's still pretty close so I don't if it will bind or not

They weren't to tight because I tried to see if they would not bind at zero lash and they still were way down.
Old August 19th, 2021, 10:40 AM

Ok, Just wanted to make sure you were doing it correctly. I dont personally know how you can really check pushrod length accurately with anything other than a very light checking spring. Those rockers look like they are way down too low. I would bet they need to come up at least 1/4" That might also get the roller tip closer to the center of the valve. I have not read all of your posts . . . what engine and what camshaft is this ?
Old August 19th, 2021, 10:53 AM

Ok, Just wanted to make sure you were doing it correctly. I dont personally know how you can really check pushrod length accurately with anything other than a very light checking spring. Those rockers look like they are way down too low. I would bet they need to come up at least 1/4" That might also get the roller tip closer to the center of the valve. I have not read all of your posts . . . what engine and what camshaft is this ?
350 with number 6 heads. COMP Cams Xtreme Energy 274H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft & Lifter Kit Lift: .520" /.523" Duration: 274°/286

I'll try turning the checker out more and seeing how that goes. I'm also gonna try to see if there's a difference with a solid lifter
Old August 19th, 2021, 11:17 AM

Thats not making much sense because Comp is calling for an 8.234" pushrod and what they call for is usually pretty darn close. Do your heads have stock length valves in them ? I don't know how accurately you could make something out of a piece of card stock but take a look at the attached drawing. That is the oem Olds tool for valve stem height.