Accessory mounting bracket??

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Accessory mounting bracket??

Does anyone know where I can get a hold of an alternator mounting bracket? (Top one, not bottom)... My belt has been squealing something fierce and no matter the tension it still screams, and yesterday i found out why, that at some point the top bracket snapped and is being held on by the alternator lol.. Junkyards are quite aways and the retail auto stores don't have em
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM

I'm sure several people here will have what you need. If you can please post a picture as there were a few different ones over the years and that's the best way to make sure we're all thinking of the same bracket. Also, if you'd post your location or at least a large city nearby. That can help you find someone close to save on shipping costs. John

Whoops! I just saw your location is in Colorado.
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by omg_its_nickels
Does anyone know where I can get a hold of an alternator mounting bracket? (Top one, not bottom)... My belt has been squealing something fierce and no matter the tension it still screams, and yesterday i found out why, that at some point the top bracket snapped and is being held on by the alternator lol.. Junkyards are quite aways and the retail auto stores don't have em
What year? A/C or not?
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM

1984 307, with a/c... here's a couple pics. also, The support bracket ALSO busted... Jesus tap-dancing christ on a stick, you would think I tried to set the tension with a damn cherry picker!!! I don't recall breaking this, and if i did, I don't see how a 12" pry bar could do it!

IMG00360.jpg
IMG00361.jpg
IMG00362.jpg
IMG00363.jpg
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:13 PM

Well, so far, I have it running on MacGyver technology I wish I had a camera to show you this.... get this: You know how the alternator also has a bracket used to set tension? well since I messed with the alternator, I couldn't get it tight again, and so to hold the bracket on, I chiseled in ANOTHER break, so that it would grab and not pull back when I set the tension, and ALO, I used a 4" bolt to bolt the alternator to the lower support bracket with a nut on the other end... and what goes between the 4"? Washers washers to raise the height of the alternator, thereby tensing up the belt. who knows how long this will hold together, hopefully long enough to replace the main bracket.. main thing i'm worried about is the pulley is within 2" of the radiator hose now, and since the motor twists counter-clockwise, this could mean for a nasty leak. I really wish I could find my camera to show you this. (Oh and I had to put washers on the hose retainer clip between the bolt & the shroud to pick up the hose too! LMAO)