Accel Distributor

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

An excellent synopsis and a great set of links.

Thank you for posting them!

I do need to correct one detail, though, so that it doesn't propagate
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455
... I've seen where they don't come with any dielectric grease under the unit, which can cause overheating of the unit.
The stuff that you put under the module to improve heat transfer to the base and prevent overheating is NOT dielectric grease.
It is heat sink paste.

Dielectric grease is an electrically insulating silicone-based grease that will not improve heat transfer, and is not what you should use.

- Eric
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:14 AM
NôôB

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Might be an option don't know if they are available for olds just yet. Also have you considered raising the air cleaner base ? Most autozones carry the air cleaner adapters which can raise your air cleaner up to I think 4 inches. Just a though if you only need a few inches of clearance.
Those rings you get from Autozone are a PITA/dumb to deal with IMHO. I have installed the HEI flame thrower on my Rallye and you need about an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half of clearance with that one to work right with a stock air cleaner. If you use those rings you have to stack them and they are not that stable. I am currently in the process of using a 1 inch spacer and will let you know how that one turns out (right now having vacuum issues it seems but working on it).
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I used them in the past and they sat good on the carb and air cleaner but this was probably a good 8 to 9 years ago.
Old April 4th, 2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
An excellent synopsis and a great set of links.

Thank you for posting them!

I do need to correct one detail, though, so that it doesn't propagate

The stuff that you put under the module to improve heat transfer to the base and prevent overheating is NOT dielectric grease.
It is heat sink paste.

Dielectric grease is an electrically insulating silicone-based grease that will not improve heat transfer, and is not what you should use.

- Eric
Good catch, and very true. My bad, not sure what I was thinking there!

Borg Warner used to sell the small plastic packs in bunches of 10, not sure they do anymore.

Old April 4th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Borg Warner used to sell the small plastic packs in bunches of 10, not sure they do anymore.
Yeah, you can usually get it in small packs by the register at the auto parts store, or at Radio Shack in a small toothpaste tube, as it is essential when replacing the CPU on your computer.

- Eric
Old April 4th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Last time I was messing with an HEI & needed some heat sink paste was @ 5 years ago.

Round' here ... most people didn't even seem to know what it was & treated you like were some kind of moron.

Heat sink paste ?.

Yeah sure buddy ..... turn left down aisle 3 when you get to the quadraphonic 8-track player display.

Go down to the end of the aisle & check the bottom shelf on the RH side.

If you hit the end cap display with the bias ply's you've gone down too far.

Old April 4th, 2014, 11:26 AM

I think the stuff for CPUs is silicone based (clear), and the stuff for auto use is like lith based or something, it's usually yellow. Not sure if they are interchangeable or not.

Reason most don't ask for it is that it usually comes with a new module. Counter-folks don't see it because it's in the box, out of sight, out of mind.

Old April 4th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think the stuff for CPUs is silicone based (clear), and the stuff for auto use is like lith based or something, it's usually yellow. Not sure if they are interchangeable or not.
Same stuff as far as I know. Should be a white paste, slightly gritty feeling.

The clear stuff is dielectric grease. If it's in the packet in the box with the new module, don't use it. (I have gotten it in the box with a new module).

- Eric