'86 307 vacuum & air hose problems

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2006, 07:50 PM

Question '86 307 vacuum & air hose problems

Hello! I recently purchased an 86 442 that had a remanned 307 High-Output engine installed at some point. The carb was also replaced with an Edelbrock. Some of the vacuum lines and all of the air pump lines are missing. Any ideas where I could find digrams showing the proper routing of these lines? I have a Helm service manual ordered to hopefully shed some light on this, but anything more would be greatly appreciated. We also found several electrical connectors simply lying on top of the engine. Any way to figure out what these should, or at least should have, gone to? The engine runs fine, but the service light is on. I'm assuming this has something to do with the vacuum lines and emissions system. Again, any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!!!!
Jim
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Past Administrator

Jim, I am figuring the previous owner purposely disconnected those extra lines when installing the rebuilt engine. With an Edelbrock carb instead of the original there would be no place to connect some of the wires and perhaps some of the vacuum lines. And since the car runs well but the service engine light is on I would guess that it is in fact because of the engine swap. You probably won't be able to re-configure everything back to original unless you went back to the original engine. Possibly there are also sensors on the exhaust and block that are disconnected too. Man, if it runs good just run it and ignore the light.
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I figured some of the things simply wouldn't go back. The only problem is, now that the car is in PA coming from Ohio, it has to have an initial emissions test, so the the air pump and vacuum lines will need to at least appear operational. I figured since we have the full gauges, we'll just take the bulb out of the service engine light, but it's getting the car past the tests so it's legal on the road that might be the issue.
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Past Administrator

Oh ok, I see what your problem is. That is tuff, if it is only a visual and not a sniff test, you might be able to do it. I am sorry I have no info for you as far as that goes but good luck.
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:26 AM

go to autozone.com and look up your diagram there. as far as for the air pump go here to learn more about it. http://tech.oldsgmail.com/emis_AIR.php