84 307 emissions

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Z88

84 307 emissions

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my embarrassing, but young, olds 307. Off my beloved 1984 Delta 88 Royale Brougham.

This car only has a young 140 thousand miles on it, but seems to have a grand host of issues with it. The first emissions are a double edge sword to me. While, I don't get tested I get to spread whatever fumes I want. But the other, I enjoy gas economy. So the emissions systems that i Have found to met their bitter end is the ;
EFE TVS. No problem deleting that nasty off my intake. So done and set, but what type of problems will I face for removing this little piece of earth saving device? Would my HP go up? Will I stall out on a cold engine all the time?

The vapor canister. Well, it turns out my canister doesnt look so good. The filter is all clotted up, as if the previous owner wasn't aware that should be cleaned once in a while. And, now if the canister is tipped onto the side or over, ooh carbon pellets! I assume thats no good right?
Now what stumbles pretty hard on me, is that none of my local guys seem to have these things in stock! Even one guy told me to "delete" the system. Now, fuel vapor to me is a pretty serious thing. I don't want unstable vapor causing a surprise fire for me.

Is the carbon pellets falling out when tipped over normal? Can I still have this relic Rochester part? If not, I don't feel like blowing $70 out on emissions. Can i find a car at a junk lot that has a better can and is still compatible? What should i test for??

Now the last piece seems to be the intake wasn't done well. Probably due to my previous mechanic not knowing what a v8 looks like, or how these turkey tray gaskets fit in. Hey neither do i!

Onto intakes, do you need to put any RTV around the coolant ports, exhaust, or intake ports? Is this required on both sides of the intake?
And of course, on the end rails, the bits of RTV on those little rubber rails is necessary.

And before I bore you to death, wheres the best points to drain the coolant out of the block?

Many thanks!
Anthony

-- To add for it, my CCV(Purge valve) part: 17085929 references to both a 4 port and a 5 port.

Mine is a 4 port, with 2 5/16ths. These got 3. Whats the 3rd for? Can i just disable it without any effect to the units performance?

Last edited by Z88; December 3rd, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:40 PM

Rock Auto has the charcoal canister. They also have the filter that goes under it, I was able to change my filter with only a minimal amount of charcoal coming out of the canister. I did change the CCV, Rock auto had a 4 port delco ccv.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Z88

Originally Posted by Rob delta
Rock Auto has the charcoal canister. They also have the filter that goes under it, I was able to change my filter with only a minimal amount of charcoal coming out of the canister. I did change the CCV, Rock auto had a 4 port delco ccv.
I found the canister, however it seems to be 3 ports instead of 2???
Now, I don't see any pellets inside the old CCV. And the thing only tends to dump out a few pieces of charcoal when titled to the side. Not sure if thats actually alarming, or if i'm just being over cautious.

Is there anyway I can just buy some charcoal, mash it up into some pellets (or hell, maybe they got that premade as well?) and swap out the top and bottom filters? I can get the bottom filter out like a joke, and well the top one seems to be playing tough.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:03 PM

Here are pointers for the common leaky intake...
http://tlentz.oldsgmail.com/howto.html#manifold

The vapor can absorbs fuel vapors from the gas tank. Deleting it can help cause your garage to smell like gas and if you have a woman around she will certainly complain about the smell. Just replace it.

There should be two hex bolts on the lower front sides of the block for draining coolant. This is the only way to really change and flush the system.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
Z88

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Here are pointers for the common leaky intake...
http://tlentz.oldsgmail.com/howto.html#manifold

The vapor can absorbs fuel vapors from the gas tank. Deleting it can help cause your garage to smell like gas and if you have a woman around she will certainly complain about the smell. Just replace it.

There should be two hex bolts on the lower front sides of the block for draining coolant. This is the only way to really change and flush the system.
Thanks!

Would it still be OK for me to use the canister? Or would that be a very poor mistake?

I know this does sound silly, but would it be possible to reuse the gasket? I know the previous gasket was JUST installed. I just notice some splash of liquid coming up by the left side of the valley. ** This only happens when I first crank her. I rev it up, doesnt seem to happen again. Still, some strange stuff*
And I Heard so many configurations from people on where the RTV should be placed, and what kinds.

To sum up all their ideas:
Don't use RTV Black, except where the end rails meet with the gasket/head/intake.
Dont use RTV black around any of the intake ports
ONly use RTV on one side
And what further confuses me, some tell me to add a "healthy" bead of RTV. SOme tell me to add very little, like a 1/4 inch around the coolants.
I've also heard using gasket sealants like gasgacinch.
WHats your recommended method?
Like the instructions in the felpro box, or ??

Also one minor question, is there anyway I can just fix the canister?
Maybe there is different vehicles that'll share these canisters? I mean, Its GM after all.