'72 Cutlass Supreme Has Been Sitting Nearly A Decade

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2020, 01:38 PM

I read your post and went out and gave it another try after spraying a bit of WD-40 into the carb. It started!

Here was the first try.
https://imgur.com/dJS9QLl

Then it fired up. It dies when I take my foot off the gas.
https://imgur.com/5gNi2aS

I'm getting some bubbling of fluids from the area circled in red. I assume bad gaskets. Is that the header that is the rusty part on the bottom?
tH0zmGr.jpg
Old May 26th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Glad there is a bit of life in her... If the fuel smells like varnish, stop immediately and clean out the fuel system. I do see upper control arm bushings in your near future.
Old May 26th, 2020, 01:53 PM

At least you got it running! It sounded pretty good, until it died. But it has to be getting fuel or it wouldn't start at all. It may ultimately start and keep running once it's had a chance to blow out 9 years of dust and whatever. If you can keep it running long enough, maybe you can at least get it off of that trailer. Before you try to move it, though, make sure the brakes work well enough to stop it. Make sure there's brake fluid in the reservoir, and once it stays running, press on the pedal and see if it's firm or if it sinks to the floor.

But then I would start going through it like everyone has suggested. Check fuel system, check cooling system, check brake system thoroughly for leaks, proper function, etc. Probably change transmission fluid. Check power steering fluid level. Remove and at least clean the spark plugs if you don't replace them outright. Give the carburetor a good spray with something like Gumout carburetor cleaner.

As far as the fluid bubbling out, is it thick like oil or thin like coolant? How many miles are on the engine?
Old May 26th, 2020, 02:16 PM

My Dad was pretty excited when I called him to tell him. 2006 was the last time it was registered or driven. Had no issues with the brakes working when we were pushing it. I'm going to tow it up to a friend's shop tomorrow to see if they catch anything I haven't thought of. The liquid bubbling out is thin, and coming from the seam that I circled in the photo. I'll pick up some Gumout, too. There are probably 30,000 miles in 26-28 years since the engine was put in. Only about 100 miles since 2000 or 2001, would be my guess.

The random fluids were smoking off the engine block, too. Should it get really hot with only a minute or two of running?
Old June 12th, 2020, 12:52 PM

Just drove her home from the shop checking her out. She's not heating up in their test drives, or my 15 miles home in traffic. Definitely a little wobbly on the handling! I don't know that I want to go fast or have my wife drive it until I've tried to tighten up the handling a bit. My younger kids rode with me and loved it. Not bad for not having been washed in 14 years, either. Still a little dusty, but I'll wash her up shortly.
F987t2k.jpg
Old June 12th, 2020, 03:51 PM

Good looking car. I really love the lines of the 70-72 Olds convertible.
Old June 12th, 2020, 03:59 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Back on the road NICE!

Lubricate hood hinges, door hinges, and vert top frame. (Put 30W oil in an oiler. Google Zoom Spout Oiler. You can buy them empty).

Looks like the hood needs to be adjusted. This usually happens when the hinges are stiff or seized up.

Get after all the items I mentioned in post #20. Start with the safety stuff. Brake lines/fluid then chassis. I see you got after tires.
Next stop is a chassis inspection then front end alignment. Dont want to rune new tires.