69 olds 350 color ...help

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:29 PM

69 olds 350 color ...help

I got myself another chunk of iron to throw time and money at, its a 69 cutlass post with a 350, When I got it, it had BLUE chrome valve covers(leaking), a big fat gas dumping holly, and a rusty old chrome air cleaner, I put some decent OLDSMOBILE valve covers on, only to find out later that I painted them the wrong color? my last cutlass was a 72, and it was a really "gold" gold, and I was told that 69's are more of a copper? Anyone have some pictures of a 69 350 survivor ? or whatever you painted your small block olds. I have seen many different colors out there and well, if I'm gunna paint stuff, it may as well be correct.

thanks

oh, PS, i want to get the ac working, i couldn't find any threads on AC?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0235.jpg (88.9 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by cheven; June 22nd, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM

The 1969 350 should be the same shade of gold as the 1972. The person you were talking to got this mixed up with the 400 engine, that one was bronze.

I'd encourage you to create another thread about the Air Conditioning. Do you have all the parts? If so, what is or isn't it doing?

John
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:13 PM

Great, now I have $30 of copper heat paint I can't use, and a copper water pump now. Thanks for the help on that.

My AC system looks intact, it has a sticker on the Compressor from a rebuilding co. so that was done at some point? The belt if off, and the system is flat. I know they sell new valves for 134A but would like to benefit from others expericence (mistakes) before I start in on it. Then, when its blowin cold, I can roll the windows down and cruise around thinking, "what a waste of money that was"
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by cheven
Great, now I have $30 of copper heat paint I can't use, and a copper water pump now. Thanks for the help on that.

My AC system looks intact, it has a sticker on the Compressor from a rebuilding co. so that was done at some point? The belt if off, and the system is flat. I know they sell new valves for 134A but would like to benefit from others expericence (mistakes) before I start in on it. Then, when its blowin cold, I can roll the windows down and cruise around thinking, "what a waste of money that was"
If you want a copper 350 go with it! Most non-Olds people wouldn't know the difference anyway.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:23 PM

eh, its not the color I'm familiar with, I like the Olds gold, its only paint, one more layer won't hurt. I like the brightness of the gold against the oldness of the rest of the car.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:45 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Originally Posted by cheven
eh, its not the color I'm familiar with, I like the Olds gold, its only paint, one more layer won't hurt. I like the brightness of the gold against the oldness of the rest of the car.

I love the gold too.

You have a nice gold there too. I have seen some lately that are painted gold but the colour is thin, more like anodized aluminium gold. I painted my covers about twelve years ago with some over the counter engine spray paint, I don't remember the brand, an the colour was called GM Gold, not Olds so I was worried. I did have to use an aluminum primer on the covers first so the high heat paint would stick to the Edelbrocks. They were just flat black before. Gold pops so much better.

This pic is about three years old and the colour still draws the eye away from the ugly under the hood. She is slowly getting better.

I bet you can't wait until you can get the whole engine done. Some people here have painted the whole in car and done great, I am not so brave.

Adam
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:45 PM

gold

Thanks, motor looks great, I only paint things I remove and or repair. I know its sound silly, and looks a little funny too. I'm not out to build a show car so some grease and dirt shows the car has some "experience"