350 rocket needs help

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2013, 05:37 AM

Exclamation 350 rocket needs help

I have a oldsmobile omega and i have a question and I need help. my engine was being rebuilt and the guy call me up and said that the motor was put together wrong at the factory,you have all the same side piston and rods.does anyone know if it was factory that way or is he right he said if he puts the piston facing the front then one side of the rods are wrong according to the knotch on the rods please help Jon from hollister.
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:51 AM

Uh-oh, you may want to run, since they are not sure what they are talking about. I believe the OE pistons are 4 eyebrow types, and technically can be install in either direction.

If the rods don't have the squirt holes, then they can be installed in either direction, and believe the factory didn't care, just would depend on what the factory worker felt like at the time of assembly. There's no radius on the crank journal, and the rod is centered onthe big end.

Are they suggesting you need new rods? I think they might be trying to make some money, or they don't know what they're talking about. Either way, I would suggest a different machine shop.

Old April 12th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by roxribs
I have a oldsmobile omega and i have a question and I need help. my engine was being rebuilt and the guy call me up and said that the motor was put together wrong at the factory,you have all the same side piston and rods.does anyone know if it was factory that way or is he right he said if he puts the piston facing the front then one side of the rods are wrong according to the knotch on the rods please help Jon from hollister.
Yes, run.

All eight pistons are identical. All eight rods are identical. You DO need to correctly index the piston and rod depending on which side of the engine they are installed in. Rods with an oil spit hole are oriented so the oil hole faces the cam. Pistons have a notch that faces forward for all eight, so you'll have four piston/rod assemblies with the rod oriented one way and four the other way.

Sounds like your engine rebuilder is Chevy-centric. I'm betting your valve tips will not be set correctly either.
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Old School Olds

I would tell him, "OK, thanks, where do I
need to back up my truck?"
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Jon is that Hollister CA, if it is take your engine to Rob's Machine shop in Hayward. It's worth the drive, Rob is very knowledgeable when it comes to Olds. I have done my research, I called almost every shop in the Bay and Rob was the only one that knew his S*it.
Let me know if you need more info.

They are building my 2nd 350 and my 455.
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Yes expect stuck exhaust valves and major damage. Countless guys have issues with that from chebby shops. I am thinking the 2 hour drive to over look my build and see measurements first hand will be worth it.
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:06 PM

So your Omega has been running, how long, with an incorrectly assembled engine? Most machine shops haven't seen an Oldsmoble or Pontiac engine in years, if ever. The only thing they know is Chevy. Find someone a little more experienced with something other than Chevy.
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

• GET • IT •*OUT • OF • THERE •

- Eric
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:32 PM

He did say that it does have the notch in it with a oil hole so that's why he thought it need to have 4 different piston or turn the piston so that everything lines up right
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, run.

All eight pistons are identical. All eight rods are identical. You DO need to correctly index the piston and rod depending on which side of the engine they are installed in. Rods with an oil spit hole are oriented so the oil hole faces the cam. Pistons have a notch that faces forward for all eight, so you'll have four piston/rod assemblies with the rod oriented one way and four the other way.

Sounds like your engine rebuilder is Chevy-centric. I'm betting your valve tips will not be set correctly either.
They are all 8 that are the exact same piston I saw it my self he was stump and he checked into it and his info said that they are wrong from a olds rebuilder I said don't change any thing until I talked to people
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

He is an idiot, and his "Olds rebuilder" is an idiot, and you need to save that engine before he does any more damage.

- Eric
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:09 PM

He has not done anything yet that's why he question it before something went wrong
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:12 PM

I not sure on what to tell him on the olds engine he knows that the oil spit towards the cam and the marks on the piston face the front but they are not they are all the same ???????
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
He is an idiot, and his "Olds rebuilder" is an idiot, and you need to save that engine before he does any more damage.

- Eric
Can you read post I wrote