350 rocket help

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM

350 rocket help

i have a 72 olds 350 ive started buying up parts that im going to put on in the winter. as im going through various catologs i notice that parts arnt listed for old, so the parts from the chevy 350 small block are the same? how can i find out what body stlye...a boby...f body...x body? 4 bolt main? summits catalog lists different cars and years but allways chevy ford and there models.
thanks
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
Past Administrator

There aren't as many Oldsmobiles and there aren't as many aftermarket parts although there are enough to do most things needed. Parts will cost a little more because of the demand and supply law of economics. The catalogues are basically advertisements and they put their money where it will bring the most return. It doesn't mean that whatever you are looking for isn't available for your engine. Sometimes a call will get you a satisfactory answer. The Chevy engine isn't the same as the Oldsmobile engine or the Ford for that matter, the 350s are diffferent as day and night and parts won't interchange (except maybe the generic 14 inch air cleaner element or something like that). A 1972 Olds Cutlass is an A body car. A Delta or a 98 is a B body car. The Omega is an F body.... I think, I don't know what the toronado is. Oldsmobile engines did not use 4 bolt mains from the factory, didn't need them.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM

thanks ill have to call i just dont know if i trust the operators anyway ive been looking to replace entire brake system and headders. i think the exhaust manifolds are different sizes from each other passenger is longer then drivers side.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bonesbmx
i have a 72 olds 350 ive started buying up parts that im going to put on in the winter. as im going through various catologs i notice that parts arnt listed for old, so the parts from the chevy 350 small block are the same?
Nope. The Olds 350 and Chevy 350 are completely different designs. The only part they have in common is the distributor cap. EVERYTHING else is different. You'll have as much luck getting Ford parts to fit as you will Chevy parts (actually, roller rockers for a small block Ford DO fit Olds motors...).

Note that if you're looking through catalogs like Summit and Jegs, their paper catalogs don't list everything they stock. Since space is limited, they only show the more popular items in the catalogs. Check their on-line catalogs for a greater selection.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM

You can trust the folks at Summit. Though the Crane roller rockers were not stock items for my BBO, they sure did accomodate me and at a reasonable price!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:38 AM

I've ordered most of my parts from Summit. I have yet to have a problem getting the correct parts. You can go online and enter your make and model and order the parts you need.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM

thanks for the help guys
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM

I've been getting parts from Summit for years and they will be the first to tell you that if they listed all the parts they carry (which is everything you need for an Olds) the catalog would be the size of the New York phone book.
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
The Omega is an F body.... I think
The only f-bodies are the Camaro and Firebird. The Omega is an X-body, like the Chevy Nova, Pontiac Acadian/Ventura, Buick Apollo. Sorry, I figured this would be my only chance to correct Oldsguy.

- GoldOlds
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by bonesbmx
ive been looking to replace entire brake system and headders.
A good set of headers for your Cutlass might be tricky to find, but not brakes. If you're lookin' at a set of brakes that will fit the 68-72 Chevelle, Malibu, GTO, Lemans, Tempest, Skylark, Beaumont or even the 70-72 Monte Carlo, they'll fit your Cutlass. I think all those A-body suspension components are swapable too.

- GoldOlds