350 Intake Gaskets / Edelbrock Performer 350 milling ???

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Question 350 Intake Gaskets / Edelbrock Performer 350 milling ???

With the last drive of the fall just completed. It's Nov 28th and they are calling for the first snow of the year, about 2 inches and the DOT has presalted the roads for us. So it is now time to think of the winter projects.

I have a 350 with an Edelbrock Performer 350 3711 intake. Sitting on top is a Holley 1850 series with a manual choke. Sitting on a shelf I have a freshly rebuilt '72 455 Quadrajet that was rebuilt and tuned for a stock 403 build. My plan was to swap them this winter.

I have recently, about 2 weeks ago, developed ot atleast noticed, I have a intake gasket leak between the driver's side head and intake. I love seeing the slow stream of green coolant running down the side of my block.

So, the MAW are starting to kick in. I might as well pull the intake AND put the quad on at the same time. I have read a million times about not using the rubber end seals, I get that.

I would like opions on which manufacturer of Intake gaskets to use on a 350 with the Edelbrock intake.

Another MAW question .... I have read about have the center divider, below the carb, not exhaus,t milled down on the 455's intakes. Would a street driven car, that in my 14 years of owning it, has never been to drag strip and has NO plans EVER to do so, benifit from this.

Quick stats on the car.....

Olds 350, ~9.8:1cr, Edelbrock Performer, full length headers, true dual 2 1/2 exhaust, TH350, 4.10 posi, HEI and will have the 7042251 1972 445 Quadrajet.

Thanks for any opinions/recomendations.
Old November 28th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Mr Gasket Ultraseal,
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mr...ake/oldsmobile

No need to mill the divider. If you want to play around, add a 1" open spacer, maybe even try a 4 hole specer. Either way, you can change back. Also, IMO that combo will run better with the RPM intake, especially with that gear.
Old November 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by captjim
Mr Gasket Ultraseal,
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mr...ake/oldsmobile

No need to mill the divider. If you want to play around, add a 1" open spacer, maybe even try a 4 hole specer. Either way, you can change back. Also, IMO that combo will run better with the RPM intake, especially with that gear.
X2, and in this case the added plenum volume from a spacer will help it breath better with that small carb.
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
X2, and in this case the added plenum volume from a spacer will help it breath better with that small carb.
He did say he is switching to a 455 Q-jet set up for a 403.
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:18 PM

He did say he is switching to a 455 Q-jet set up for a 403.
Yes, I am getting rid of the Holley. I will throw it on the shelf so when/if I ever do the 455 swap, I will have a carb to throw back on the 350. I do know you can buy bigger cfm carbs then 251 i have but I wanted to go back to looking more stock. The Holley has treated me okay. It was on the car when purchased 14 years ago. So are the copper and rubber fuel lines from the pump to carb. They are also being replaced. I have even been pleased with the bucket dyno with the Holley. I did notice, via the Butt Dyno, that the engine was quicker to speed up when I switched out the old 2 1/4 exhaust and rusted out 14" muffelers to the Pypes 2 1/2 and 18" mufflers. I hope I will see some more Butt Dyno improvements with the QJet.

. Also, IMO that combo will run better with the RPM intake, especially with that gear.
I know the RPM is an upgrade, but I don't feel like putting more of my small cash flow into parts. I have a new, 7 week old, son and limited income with my wife being on mat-leave.

If you want to play around, add a 1" open spacer, maybe even try a 4 hole specer. Either way, you can change back.
Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I just happen to have a Mr Gasket 3604 1" 4 hole carb spacer kit on the same shelf as the QJet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-3406

I do like other Mr Gasket products I have used in the past so thanks for the nod to them. I will have to wait to see what I have under the intake with regards to the valley pan. I have not had the intake off myself before.

....especially with that gear.
Not original to the car. Previous owner did it, aswell as the Holley and intake. He used to go to a local 1/4 mile on amateur/"run what you brung" nights. I don't know what how it ran but the timing was really advanced when I bought it and she was very hard starting when cold. He had worn out the distributor lockdown and used epoxy to set the advance.

anyways, I am rambling too much. Thanks again.

Adam
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:27 PM

You will certainly retain excellent throttle response with the Performer. I have used the OE "turkey tray" gasket with aluminum intakes with no isses, but the Mr Gaskets are more forgiving.

BTW, nice car, I have always likes the 68-69 cars!!
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:25 AM

BTW, nice car, I have always likes the 68-69 cars!!

Thanks, I looked for about 6 months for a 68-72 A Body Olds. Actually, my original search was more for a 69-72 because my brother had a '78 Omega, followed by an '84 Firenza. I loved the "tooth". When I found this one was for sale I noticed the turn signal between the headlights reminded me of my brother Firenza. I have loved Millie's toothlees grin ever since.

Thanks again....

Adam

Last edited by arodenhiser; January 18th, 2013 at 12:50 PM.