350 build

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2012, 11:29 PM

350 build

So tell me what you guys thinks. I got a 350 out of a 72 with 7# heads. I am thinking bore .030 over ,flat top pistons matched with a decent set of rods, port the heads, performance intake and all the other goodies that go with a complete rebuild. Now I am trying to decided to go with the 330 crank or not, add bigger valves and what size cam. I am shooting for something that is streetable but still will perform on the track but I am trying to keep my cr ratio low enough I don't have to run 110 octane. The only reason I might go with the forged crank and pistons is I might get a wild hair and put a 100-150 shot of NOS to it. I am not sure if that will ever happen but better safe than sorry IMO.
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:18 AM

You don't need a forged crank for that, buy a good piston instead. The Probe ones would be good for that. They're made of 2618 alloy, that's what you want.
You'll find alot if different builds on here if you do a search, that'll get you headed in the right direction.
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:58 AM

Probably no need for steel crank, just quality machine work on the existing. Be careful not to overcam it but w/ flat tops you gotta watch going too small as well. IMO, I would give the Procomp heads a look, probably from Bernard Mondello (NOT of Cali). Indications are you would get your port & valve sizes, w/ the added benefit of being able to tune in comp ratio w/ chamber volume via ordering them milled appropriately after your assembled short block specs are known. These heads, gone through by Bernard's shop likely would cost little or no more than refitting your present heads w/ benefit of "adjustability" for chamber size. Think about having Mark help you w/ a cam. Buy some decent aftermarket rods & you should have a stout engine without any extravagant expense, though that is not to say cheap.

I mention the Procomp heads as they look like a really good alternative to rebuilding iron heads (bigger valves, filling xovers, welding dividers) but they are the new kid on the block so they are relatively untested. FWIW I have a nice 350 "flat top" short block previously in my car that if it were to get pressed back into service, I would throw a set of those on there without a second thought.
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

The procomp heads I think are worth the risk. I mention it all the time I spent 1100 on a set of iron heads 1500 with roller rockers, pushrods, intake milling to fit heads etc. If I had built my engine a year later I would have been able to buy them now I'm stuck with iron heads. My combo is a low 13 second combo in last years trim. I'm hoping to put it in the 12's this year. If you want specs I can post em or they are on this site just search for builds .like previously mentioned there is a lot of good 350 combos.
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:03 PM

thanks guy, I am new to this sbo thing. Love the cars though and I can't just drop a Chevy in it, seems almost sacrilegious IMO. So being new to olds motors and never being around them(not olds country where I come from) building one up and aftermarket part and availability of those parts is something that I am just learning about.