307 wont stay on...

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by OldSchoolMuscle71
im gunna have someone turn the key in the on position and try to hear the pump engage in the tank.
<cues up shocking dramatic type soundtrack>

Running an aftermarket electric fuel pump ....

Makes trying to zero in on your issues an entirely different ball game.
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
<cues up shocking dramatic type soundtrack>

Running an aftermarket electric fuel pump ....

Makes trying to zero in on your issues an entirely different ball game.

Why? Stock pumps are cheap and work fine. I think I have a CCC carb lying around, you can have it if you want to pay the ride.
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by captjim
Why? Stock pumps are cheap and work fine.
Agreed for the most part.

My point was ...

If the OP ditched his stock OEM type fuel pump for an electric one .....

It's something we should have been told ... because it potentially introduces new issues into the mix.

Everyone's been attempting to troubleshoot here off the assumption that this car had a stock OEM fuel pump.
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
Agreed for the most part.

My point was ...

If the OP ditched his stock OEM type fuel pump for an electric one .....

It's something we should have been told ... because it potentially introduces new issues into the mix.

Everyone's been attempting to troubleshoot here off the assumption that this car had a stock OEM fuel pump.
Perhapsthe OP is mistaken and thinks the car has an electric pump? Either way, it stays running so it is probably OK.
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

@ captjim I have dropped pretty much anything at this point is is safe to say you are just trolling. I will take care of the issue as this is getting very old very fast. Depends where he stored it I don't know his storage situatuion but yes rats love to nest and they chew stuff up.
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
@ captjim I have dropped pretty much anything at this point is is safe to say you are just trolling. I will take care of the issue as this is getting very old very fast. Depends where he stored it I don't know his storage situatuion but yes rats love to nest and they chew stuff up.

Not trolling, but I will dispute it when you give what is in my opinion poor advice. Perhaps you should be careful who you insult??

You made this statement,
"but yes rats love to nest and they chew stuff up"
You also stated,
"If it ran fine before it should run fine now"
I was an ASE certified tech for many years and live in FL where cars sit for months as many are seasonal residents. I can't even count the times vehicles were towed in due to problems resulting from sitting for long periods of time.
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:31 PM

If not the crab is the culprit .

I was thinking rodents; rats, squirrels, mice, but I suppose crabs could get up thee and use thier pinchers to cut hoses and wires.
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:39 PM

I'm done dude you can keep breaking down word for word what I say you call bad advice. Yopu are just a pathetic fool. You called me out I layed the facts out told you everything you wanted to know and it was not enough. So you can go pound sand

Last edited by coppercutlass; July 30th, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:40 PM

Everything is about what you think. I was just saying what I thought it could be.
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:02 PM

Again you feel the need to go around and press the issue "you are wrong". I never said I was correct. If you can find one statement where I said that do it. I was just listing suggestions on what I thought it could be. You don't even know what it is since you aren't evgen there so you could be wrong too.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:02 PM

ok fellas some news.....lol

i have a stock fuel pump, not aftermarket. i figured i can hear it engage if i put my ear to the tank like many cars. did that today, and unless im deaf i didnt hear ****. To make matters worse............i took it upon myself to check the fuel filter problem once and for all. so i go to the parts house and spend 3.50 on a fuel filter. I come back and disconnect the small inlet line that bolts to the big fitting into the carb. sure enough i was lied to. THERE WAS NO FUEL FILTER. i cleaned up a bunch of shitty looking dirt and could definately tell that moisture got in there from the rust colored mildew in there. At that point i got frustrated and pissed, and gave up for the day. Yesterday she idled fine. I used 10 gallons of premium gas and a bottle of seafoam (half bottle in the tank, 1/4 bottle thru the vacuum, and 1/4 bottle in crankcase) and i finally drove her up and down the street a llittle bit without cutting out on me. Today she wouldnt even turn on. I think its safe to say thats probably why im shooting so much smoke from the tail pipes. I'm treating this as a mission in life that i must complete lol i dont care how long it takes i wanna figure this out. thanks again for all u guys' help..
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:32 PM

The fuel filter should be at the inlet on q-jets.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:37 PM

i was told that it was right in front of the carb where the fuel line meets the big fitting?? so ur saying by the jets....on the side of the carb? behind it?
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:38 PM

funny thing is the fuel filter fit right inside of the big fitting..
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:45 PM

In the inlet big fitting sounds right. Post a pic. So it see seems you have debris in the carb sounds a bit gunked up. Yeah the big fitting accepts the fuel filter if we are talking about the same fitting behind the small fitting.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:45 PM

It goes inside the big fitting.
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:34 PM

im waiting for the pic to reach my email but yeah, i dont know what should do now as far as clean out my whole fuel system. will the seafoam in the gas tank with the premium do the job or am i gunna have to manually flush out my fuel lines and add another gas additive/
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:08 PM

I would not hurt to look in the tank and pull the sending unit out. But replace the filter and go from there. If you have to rebuild the carb I would say drop the tank and inspect it so that you would not run the risk of ruining the carb.
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:15 PM

i might have to drop the tank now. the fuel pup and sending unit are 2 different units in the tank or is it just all 1 unit? I have a brand new sending unit i bought over a year ago and never installed it. I bought it because my gas needle was reading incorrectly which lead me to run out of as a couple times on the freeway
Old July 31st, 2012, 12:10 AM

Sending unit is in the tank . Fuel pump is on the block I think yours is a mechanical fuel pump should be on pass. Side. Fuel pumps if electric on o.e. App's are in the tank for the most part. Just rule out the fuel filter . Start with the small stuff then further into the fuel system if you need to.
Old July 31st, 2012, 12:14 AM

Clean your carb replace your fuel filter and re check., if you see more crud then go into the tank .
Old July 31st, 2012, 01:54 PM

yeah hopefully its just clogged with gunk and carb cleaner will fix it. The fuel filter has an open end with a small black gasket, and the other side is sealed off with a small metal plate. Is it supposed to be like this or straight thru? If its the right one, i should put the gasket side facing the fuel line correct? i know it might sound stupid but i just wanna be sure.
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:59 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

i was told that it was right in front of the carb where the fuel line meets the big fitting?? so ur saying by the jets....on the side of the carb? behind it?
Line nut - remove. Then there's a huge nut (3/4" maybe bigger, i cant remember) you have to unscrew this one also to be able to access the filter, and if there wasnt a filter there when you took the line out then someone has removed it prior to you messing with it.

yeah hopefully its just clogged with gunk and carb cleaner will fix it. The fuel filter has an open end with a small black gasket, and the other side is sealed off with a small metal plate. Is it supposed to be like this or straight thru? If its the right one, i should put the gasket side facing the fuel line correct? i know it might sound stupid but i just wanna be sure.

Yes the black side with the hole in it goes towards the line (front of car) and there should be a spring in there. It goes "o' ring gasket (rubber) ----> spring ---->>> filter.

Last edited by bdub217; July 31st, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:38 PM

is it a tiny spring behind the gasket? i dont remember seeing one
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:42 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

yea so this one aint in the front of the carb its on the side big deal,you're looking at the fuel line area itself. not it's orientation.

Last edited by bdub217; July 31st, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:51 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

BTW when did you start working on cars? Just curious.
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:45 PM

yeah my spring is definitely missing lol. Can autozone sell me that spring Ive been working on cars for a few years now. doing iol changes and basic maintenance but ive never tackled my regal before and just wanna make sure Im doing things right. I know i have a lot to learn.
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:46 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

I'm not sure if you can get it at the corner store or not, so I'd call and find out. I'm guessing it's not that hard to obtain.
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:52 PM

Just go to a junkyard. Plenty of gm cars with q jets in the yards.
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:03 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

hell if you're going that route i'd ditch the newer qjet for a 70's one if i could find it along with the distributor. =p
but yea if you do end up getting a new carb get the same one you have from the yard, i dont think you wanna mess with ditching computer stuffs just yet.
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:37 PM

And what '70's carb would be jetted/calibrated remotely close to a no compression 307?
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:49 PM

I'm running a 650 holley double pumper on my 307 right now. Took it straight off my 350 all I had to do was re set the fast idle and it runs good. Now I do have header an x pipee and I'm running a spacer and bumped timing up. It has a slight hesitation if the engine is still cold.
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:52 PM

I know it's not a q jet but it dumps a lot more fuel than what a 307 in stock form probably needs.
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:59 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

yea just have to adjust the carb ..
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:05 PM

Depends really. It's not that simple with a q jet. I don't know enough to say what q jet will work but. If he decides to go no comouter controlled. I would go with something of a non computer controled 307 and distributor to keep things easy.
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:10 PM

Copper - How's it jetted?
With a 307, I'd have about 60's in the front and 70's in the rear, if you've the rear metering block - or the equivilent jet plate!
It'd probably make a big difference while you wait for Ted to finish your machining!
Worked with him and the previous owner back in the '70's, in Elk Grove!
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:19 PM

It's box stock. It ran good on my 350 with a slight lean consition off the line. Probably could have used a diffrent pump cam but we all know the story on my 350 . It's not a big enough hesitation for me to go in to the carb it drive great once it's warmed up good enough to drive from home to work and run errands with no issues. I'll wait to mess with it once I get the 350 done. I should be sending my block out this week to them. I decided to take my dogs out this morning for a run and that ate up my spare time lol.
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM
Kickin' It Oldschool

I would go with something of a non computer controled 307 and distributor to keep things easy.
x2

Simpler is better for the most part.
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:44 AM

Will it effect passing emissions if I go non computer controlled?
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM

you have to do emissions ? what state are you in. In illinois 95 and older is exempt from emissions.

Quick Reply: 307 wont stay on...