307 Water Pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2021, 07:04 AM

307 Water Pump replacement

I'm changing the water pump on my 81 Delta 88, got the rad drained, hoses, fan and clutch assembly removed, and it started raining. So I'm stuck until at least tomorrow. The water pump pulley has seen better days, what can I do maintenance wise for the pulley? Would a soak in CLR, good brushing and a coat of rust paint a good idea or is there something else I could do to possibly minimize slipping?
Old May 6th, 2021, 11:48 AM

Derust it CLR should work. Scuff where the belt contacts to reduce slippage and paint the rest of the surface. No paint where the belt rides.

Good luck!!!
Old May 7th, 2021, 10:02 AM

The power steering pump bracket is mounted on the water pump, do I need to remove the power steering pulley, reservoir, and alternator to get the water pump off?
Old May 7th, 2021, 10:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BrownBomb82
The power steering pump bracket is mounted on the water pump, do I need to remove the power steering pulley, reservoir, and alternator to get the water pump off?
You have to remove any accessories and brackets that bolt to the water pump. That's the PS pump and brackets, the A/C compressor front bracket, and the A.I.R. pump. The alternator brackets bolt to the head and intake and do not need to come off. As always, carefully note the locations of the PS pump spacers, or else you'll never get the pulleys to align again. Also, be extremely careful to use the proper torque on the 1/4-20 water pump bolts that go into the front cover. These self-tapping screws only thread into the sheet metal cover. Strip one and you'll be hating life.

Old May 7th, 2021, 10:43 AM

You do not need to remove the pulley from the pump; but, the pump does have to be removed. The pump stays in it's bracket, the bracket is removed and the pump comes along. The pump hoses do not need to be removed.

Pay attention to the advice to carefully note the spacer locations and not over tightening the small water pump bolts. Consider taking pics and color coding the spacers and their locations, if you don't you'll be cursing at the motor if you do you'll be thanking us.
Old May 7th, 2021, 10:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
You do not need to remove the pulley from the pump; but, the pump does have to be removed. The pump stays in it's bracket, the bracket is removed and the pump comes along. The pump hoses do not need to be removed.
^^^THIS. Just be aware that when you go to tighten the belt, you need to be sure the holes in the pulley line up with the bolts that hold the pump to the bracket.

And since this will probably come up at reassembly:

There are THREE fasteners that you need to loosen to adjust the belt, the two bolts on the front and the one nut at the bottom rear of the pump. Once you loosen all three, use a large screwdriver as a pry bar and insert it between the nose of the pump and the tab on the bracket, between the pulley and the bracket. The photo shows the proper position of the screwdriver with the pulley removed for clarity. Use the screwdriver to tension the belt while tightening the two bolts on the front, then get the nut on the back. Failure to do this properly is why there are frequent posts about belts squealing.

Old May 7th, 2021, 11:12 AM

Thank you both very much, I will heed all advice. I must be missing a bolt because I was convinced it was the pulley that had to come off next, I'm really glad it isn't. I definitely feel like I've bit off a bit more than I can chew here, but it wouldn't be the first time.
Old May 7th, 2021, 11:20 AM

Study the pump and understand Joe's picture about how to tighten the pump belt, it is THE way. Never pry on the pump reservoir. Tension the PS belt before the alternator belt

Good luck!!!
Old May 7th, 2021, 11:59 AM

Since your question was about the water pump removal, the hardest bolts to get to are the AIR pump bracket that has to be removed first. I actually torched a hole in my 85 442's bracket to get to one last bolt.
Old May 7th, 2021, 12:21 PM

Go slow and steady, you will get it done. Photo, tag and/or mark bolts and spacers. The different sizes and non-interchangablity of the hardware is the hard part of the Olds water pump replacement, don't lose track.
Old May 7th, 2021, 02:56 PM

OK, I got the power steering pump bracket off with the pump still attached. I'm glad I stopped and took the time to ask, because it made me slow down. I had already taken a bolt out that I shouldn't have. The first bolt I removed was the 15 mm through the pulley hole at the top right of the pump. (CSM Page 3B3-4 Fig 3B3-5 , the only bolt torqued to 35 ft. lbs) It's very clear to me now that I didn't need to take it out, because there was a spacer behind it. I know I have to get this back behind the bracket between the pump before I reassemble, has anyone else managed to do this without taking the pulley off? My first thought was to make a little tab like handle out of a piece of tape folded over itself to maneuver it behind the hole then feed the 15mm through.
Old May 7th, 2021, 03:05 PM

Your idea sounds good, give it a try.
Old May 7th, 2021, 07:01 PM

BB,
Make sure to compare the new pump with the old one on the back side. When I did the 307 in my Wife's Riviera a couple of years ago something caught my eye on the new pump. The casting was not made properly and would not seal part of the gasket, probably causing a circulation issue. Pretty sure it was an AC Delco pump too I forget what brand I got that matched the original one. Just make sure and look at it real closely. I might have some pictures somewhere, I will try to dig them up but they might be on the computer at my shop.

If you lay the gasket on the pump you should be able to see the problem if there is one.

Last edited by BillK; May 7th, 2021 at 07:10 PM.
Old May 8th, 2021, 12:20 PM

Thanks BillK, I checked and the new one matches up with the old one.

Got up this morning and got the old water pump off and the front cover cleaned up before the rain started again. I wonder if I stopped buying car parts and new tools if I could afford a new place with a garage?
Old May 12th, 2021, 04:33 AM

New water pump is installed, and torqued to proper spec. I got the power steering pump out back together and the bracket re installed. I hope to never have to deal with that power steering pump again. Put the belts back on and to proper tension, tried to start it up, and it isn't turning over. I'm going to start a new thread to inquire about the mess of vacuum hoses under the hoods.

Thanks for everyone's help, I would have screwed it up without it.