1976 Cutlass 350 mods

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2012, 06:31 AM
Administrator

ufb??

Ok enough already! It's a new day, CC's day is over!
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
ufb??

Ok enough already! It's a new day, CC's day is over!
Un F****** believable. Listen, the guy is just not honest. He goes on and on and FORGOT to mention 5 cracked skirts?? They are probably correct that it was a balance problem, but don't tell me it "had 10 to 1 Cr with no issues" then say it suffered bearing failure. Then add later, "Oh BTW, it also had 5 cracked piston skirts".
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:11 AM
Administrator

He's learning! Annnnd he's young, not condemning nor condoning, but what bumps around in his head will ultimately pop out of his mouth, or fingers in this era.

We've all been there, the thing about car guys is we are non-conformists! We cannot accept and do as others do. As a kid (younger than 30), if someone would tell me that it couldn't be done, it made me want to do it even more, for spite! I would die trying rather than admit defeat or heaven forbid, gulp, admit I was wrong!! You remember, No son, you can't stick your hand in the fire, it's hot, scenario. But hell it took us 25 years to actually figure out thats actually true!

With age comes knowledge and patience. Remember ignorance is when you screw up because you did not know any better, stupidity is when you do it again!

So anyway it's a new day!!
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:49 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Look the reason I did not mention the cracked skirts is because I know my compression had nothing to do with it. I know what killed that engine. Ultimately no balance, or machining, and the use of cast flat tops . Compression did not kill my engine. It's not about who has the last word or who wins I'm just making sure I saw what is right. Yes I might be young and I maybe a bit hard headed.If you where honest and since you obviously based your info on my post on where I said what I found broken inside the engine YOU would have known that balacing was my issue If you are as good as you say. You did that as a low blow to make me look like an idiot. Which you already have in other post's . I might not be the best nor do I claim to be. I try to help people to the best of my knowledge.
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
We came to the conlusion something came out of the bearing passage because of the way it was damaged it looked like it came out of the oil feed hole and out of the bearing. It was the bottom side of the bearing not the top side. And it was only that rod bearing. And the rear main bearing looked like it started to go. If it was detonation it would have failed fast I had 1968 w 31 cast flat tops on there those poor things would have shattered.
You stated this yesterday and made no mention of balace or cracked pistons.

I honestly believe that you are trying to help, but I also believe that you give bad advice, like in this thread where you stated to the OP that it was OK to run 10 to 1 compression on the street. I disagreed and you said you ran it with no issues, which isn't true. You did have issues, as in catastrophic failure.

I am not trying to make you look bad, but I am not going to let these statements go by. What if I did and the OP followed your advice and ended up with an engine that he could not run on pump gas?

You made personal insults towards me twice, and I did not respond, and I won't. But I WILL dispute you when you make what IMO are innaccurate statement, give incomplete info, and bad advice.
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:23 AM

Many guy's run 10 to 1 on the street on iron headed engines. I was also told when I built tthe engine by some local racers 10 to 1 would be fine. The skirts craking have nothing to do with the compression. You said I had bearing failure trying to say detonation killed my bearings. If it was detonation it would have more than one rod bearing like I already said. I can safely say that compression did not kill my engine so yes I can say it ran fine. Btw it was not catostrophic I took it out because I heard noises. That engine still ran when I pulled it out. I ran 10 to 1 with no detonation my engine died due to parts failure and lack of balance. We have established that here already so why do you go back to the compression issue. It's obvious my engine did not die because of my compression ratio causing detonation.
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:29 AM

I also said this before. I put a lot of street miles on it and 45 runs I think if it was detonation then it would have died a lot sooner considering my use of not so good parts. So yes I can safely say my compression did not kill my engine and running 10to1 in my experience was fine because my engine did not fail due to that and when I tore it apart there where no signs of detonation. That's what I base my info on.

Last edited by coppercutlass; July 31st, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:34 AM

Many guy's run 10 to 1 on the street on iron headed engines. I was also told when I built tthe engine by some local racers 10 to 1 would be fine. The skirts craking have nothing to do with the compression. You said I had bearing failure trying to say detonation killed my bearings. If it was detonation it would have more than one rod bearing like I already said. I can safely say that compression did not kill my engine so yes I can say it ran fine. Btw it was not catostrophic I took it out because I heard noises. That engine still ran when I pulled it out. I ran 10 to 1 with no detonation my engine died due to parts failure and lack of balance. We have established that here already so why do you go back to the compression issue. It's obvious my engine did not die because of my compression ratio causing detonation.
You can say you safely ran it but that becomes invalid when the engine failed. Back when I built my engine I spoke to Dave at Engle, Bullet, Dave Smith, and a couple other professional vendors and builder. None recommended going over low 9.xx to 1 on a pump gas D/D. It is my opinon that 10 to 1 is too high for an inexperienced guy to run on pump gas. Good tuner, perfect combo, yeah, maybe.
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:44 AM

I ran my timing right, paid close attention for noise. I knew 10 to 1 is pushing it but timing is crucial. Like I said when I tore my engine down there was no sign of detonation so I must have had my tune correct. I don't just wake up and decide to build this crap. I talk to local olds racers who help me out with advice I might not be able to build with the best part's but good advice has kept stuff together longer than it should.
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:29 AM

Look the reason I did not mention the cracked skirts is because I know my compression had nothing to do with it. I know what killed that engine. Ultimately no balance, or machining, and the use of cast flat tops.
The use of the flat tops had nothing to do with it. There are millions of them in use today with no issues.
To be more specific for everyone interested, it was an imbalance, rpm range or other that caused the failure. Unless of course you forgot to tell us you dropped them during assembly. lol!

Last edited by cutlassefi; July 31st, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:05 AM

Nope. I know flat tops had nothing to do with it just the age. Cast aluminum flat tops that probably saw abuse back in it's better day's. You figure there is enough info on here that people can figure out I was using really old cast aluminum flat tops from the late 60's.
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:10 AM

From this article,
http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/detonation/detonation.html

"Detonation very early in the compression stroke is usually the silent killer that goes unheard by the driver"

This is a pretty good read. It explains why our old cast iron, big bore, large slow-burning chambered heads are much more prone to detonation than modern engines.
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:16 AM

We have established my engine did not die from detonation. You can put all the articles to justify what you say which I'm not saying you are wrong but that is not what my engine died. Just let it go man my engine did not die because of detonation. I slaped the f)(_er together and ran the snot out of it ran 10 to 1 compression it lasted a whole year and I'm happy .
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:36 AM

We have established my engine did not die from detonation. You can put all the articles to justify what you say which I'm not saying you are wrong but that is not what my engine died. Just let it go man my engine did not die because of detonation. I slaped the f)(_er together and ran the snot out of it ran 10 to 1 compression it lasted a whole year and I'm happy .
"WE" did not establish anything, you did. I just posted that to help guys understand why the older engines are more prone to detonation and to refute the commonly held belief that if you don't hear it, it isn't there.
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:42 AM

It would show in the bearings. I already explained all that I'm done with this crap.I said what I had to say this is just beyond stupid now it's a pissing contest.