Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Deleting For Sale ads after 3 years

Old February 9th, 2018, 06:14 AM

Deleting For Sale ads after 3 years

I just spent over 2 hours deleting personal information from all my for sale and wanted ads on this site. It would be a big help if moderator could delete the ads in bulk after 2/3 years! Even if we had the option to delete ads ourselves. Other sites allow people to delete them! Too much identity theft around today and we need to keep our information safe.
Old February 9th, 2018, 10:09 AM

It would be very helpful to be able to delete old posts when something has sold.

Last edited by Ctls442; February 9th, 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old February 9th, 2018, 10:28 AM

I don't post phone numbers or personal email on the sale ad. I wait for a PM or email communication to share that info. I try to remember and mark the item as sold when it sells. And I have had people contact me years later, often they're looking for an unusual part and when they google it my ad comes up. That's my 2 cents anyway. John
Old February 9th, 2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by 1k442
Too much identity theft around today and we need to keep our information safe.
I agree that identity theft is no joke these days. Maybe there's a way to change the website so users could delete the threads themselves. Or, maybe there could be software added to make inactive threads in the "For Sale" forum auto-delete after a certain amount of time. I know it would be a full time job deleting old "For Sale" threads that users like John (2blu442) made years ago. Hopefully the site Admins see this thread.
Old February 9th, 2018, 11:05 AM

Cleaning up some loose ends before you enter the witness protection program?
Old February 9th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I don't post phone numbers or personal email on the sale ad. I wait for a PM or email communication to share that info. I try to remember and mark the item as sold when it sells. And I have had people contact me years later, often they're looking for an unusual part and when they google it my ad comes up. That's my 2 cents anyway. John
X2....... I usually request a PM or in some cases list an email that I use for mostly sale purposes only... Even when I request a PM, my response to it will include my sales email to finalize the deal if there is one...
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:48 PM

I'd prefer posters leave the contact info to PM and leave the original posts up. Even after buying used parts for 35 years I still use old for sale posts as reference for either pricing something I'm selling or to what I should spend when looking for said part.
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:57 PM
ph_ckstick1

Forums like this can be set up to automaticly prune(delete) threads after a set time. (30/45/60/120 days/etc) and it only affect that forum area (olds parts for sale, for exp. ) and can be set for all the wanted/ forsale classifieds . and it not effect the other ares of the forum.. tech/etc.
It might be something the mods might look into as after 90-120 days that wanted/forsale thread is dead.. or should be.. if it isn't the seller can post a new one..
Old February 10th, 2018, 04:20 AM

Giftman23
Now everyone knows!!
Thanks

I was deleting sale ads from 2008! Back then identity theft is not the problem it is now. Even if I change the title to sold I still get PM for items I sold 8 years ago. The site works great and the moderators have time to move ads where they belong. Just something I think needs to be cleaned up.
Old February 10th, 2018, 07:25 AM
ph_ckstick1

Giftman23
Now everyone knows!!
Thanks

I was deleting sale ads from 2008! Back then identity theft is not the problem it is now. Even if I change the title to sold I still get PM for items I sold 8 years ago. The site works great and the moderators have time to move ads where they belong. Just something I think needs to be cleaned up.
Don't kid yourself it was a problem back then .I got hit way back in 1998
And I wasn't even online back then. Found out when I when to apply for a mortgage...
Old February 10th, 2018, 08:38 AM
344879M363895

Good idea. Though it is interesting to see what $$$ some of the parts went for previously. However, for sellers I do understand the need to be able to delete when sold so they are no longer fielding inquiries on an item they no longer have. You can delete the text, but the title still remains and that still gets attention. I've had that happen to me numerous times when I've been looking for a part. Hit the thread title and the text was deleted...would be easier just to not have the thread there at all.

Regardless, regarding personal info: some of this can still be accessed by sites like The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. If people want your info, chances are it has been recorded somewhere and it can still be viewed:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120901...ms/parts-sale/
Old February 10th, 2018, 11:26 PM

I would add that automatic pruning is helpful when looking for parts. often, you waste a lot of time asking about parts that have been sold long ago. I think ads should be automatically deleted after one year. The seller can create a new ad if desired. just my two cents.
Old February 10th, 2018, 11:50 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by sschevellecutlass_Bob
I would add that automatic pruning is helpful when looking for parts. often, you waste a lot of time asking about parts that have been sold long ago. I think ads should be automatically deleted after one year. The seller can create a new ad if desired. just my two cents.
Agree but 90 days is long enough..
Old February 11th, 2018, 09:08 AM

Well, I've been selling parts here since 2006 and I have had threads go dormant for a couple years or more. Then someone will do a search and find my post. Maybe I'm not as aggressive at selling stuff as others, I'll list something and if it doesn't sell right away it goes back in the shed, or on a shelf in my shipping container or garage. When a part sells I'll mark it as sold, and have had very few people contact me about it again. If the thread is 10 years old I have suggested I need to raise the price somewhat, but that's not been an problem either. I agree with previous comments that its nice to see what other people have sold parts for too. I really appreciate when people keep the photos and prices in their threads. It can help the rest of us compare what we have and condition with what they sold. And I just like pictures... sometimes a photo in an un-related thread can help members key out what they have or resolve a problem they are having. So... I don't support deleting old threads and believe if people will maintain their sale ads its shouldn't be much of a problem. Further, if you've sold a really hot item at a good price and are getting bugged about it, example W30 intake at 2008 prices, then let me know and I'll delete it for you. No I'm not offering to spend hours deleting threads but I have been contacted by people with a problem thread and it only takes a minute for me to delete it. I hope this helps. John
Old February 11th, 2018, 09:59 AM
72 Olds CS

I agree w John I've had dormant but still for sale threads come back and sell

I think the easiest solution for everyone is just edit your ad if the item sells or is no longer for sale
Old February 12th, 2018, 01:26 PM

I vote to leave the for sale ads up. Sometimes even the pictures of parts are useful because they show up in a search feature. Sellers can edit the original post to remove personal information if necessary.

It would be nice to have the "reply" feature disabled after a certain amount of time (say 6 months after the last post) so that old ads can't get bumped, but sellers can bump it until their item is sold. Not sure if the forum software can have a thread time out like that.
Old February 12th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Administrator

I spoke with IB today to see what our options are. Per policy we cannot delete content en masse, threads have to stay.
Old February 13th, 2018, 04:21 AM

OK that's fine. Could we have the option to at least delete our own threads so they do not keep showing up? Thanks for checking and that should close out this thread.
Old February 13th, 2018, 05:48 AM

Could we have the option to at least delete our own threads so they do not keep showing up?
Currently, users are able to edit their own posts. The best bet would be to edit your old For Sale threads so your post says SOLD.
Old February 13th, 2018, 06:30 AM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by Olds64
Currently, users are able to edit their own posts. The best bet would be to edit your old For Sale threads so your post says SOLD.
HAHA,
Well, funny story..
in 2010 I posted a f/s thread on team Chevelle it has said sold for almost 8 years and I still get emails every few months asking if I still have the cars.
Old February 13th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
HAHA,
Well, funny story..
in 2010 I posted a f/s thread on team Chevelle it has said sold for almost 8 years and I still get emails every few months asking if I still have the cars.
You can't fix stupid.
Old February 13th, 2018, 07:49 AM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You can't fix stupid.
YUP. the word sold is in letters like this S O L D
If it wasn't for some good tech threads over there I'd edit my email in profile, So it stop.. but then I'd miss replies to threads..
Old February 13th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Besides allowing price comparisons, sometimes the for older sale posts include valuable information. May be best for individuals to edit own thread by noting sold for individual items or for entire posting. That is my thought on the subject.
Old February 14th, 2018, 07:28 AM

It's good to keep for sale threads up for reference, and for cold sales. The guys that have been here years seem to think that they should stay, and the new guys think they should expire, so that's an argument for keeping them in and of itself.

All contact info should be via PM or via a dedicated email like a few guys do. People can edit their posts to remove anything from back when.
Old February 14th, 2018, 07:49 AM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by Koda
It's good to keep for sale threads up for reference, and for cold sales. The guys that have been here years seem to think that they should stay, and the new guys think they should expire, so that's an argument for keeping them in and of itself.

All contact info should be via PM or via a dedicated email like a few guys do. People can edit their posts to remove anything from back when.
You must be the life of a party. but thanks for proving my point I made in another thread, about the old guard and why the hobby is die'n.
I'm out..
Old February 14th, 2018, 10:05 AM

C'mon!

I'm closing this thread because there's nothing more to be said. We can't delete threads en masse per the site administrators.