Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

VBulletin plug in for replying to old threads

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2019, 09:28 AM

VBulletin plug in for replying to old threads

We are getting a lot, and seemingly increasing amounts, of new users replying to some thread that is 6 years old.

Internet brands owns this site, and the forum software is vBulletin, and there exist plugins that, when a thread's last post is over the threshold, gives an additional line of text and a checkbox next to it.

Something like: "This thread is 2154 days old. Bumping it or adding new content will probably not help. You should make a new thread. Are you still sure you want to make this post?"
The checkmark box says something like "Yes, I am still sure."

This would cut down on the people that reply to old threads unwittingly. This will not help with people that do not understand why they shouldn't do it in the first place, however.

Please talk to powers that be and have implemented.

Much grass,
-Koda.
Old January 7th, 2019, 09:37 AM
Old School Olds

Wink

[QUOTE=Koda

Please talk to powers that be and have implemented.

Much grass,
-Koda.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha. I'm thinking " Good luck with that." They won't even put the cool cars back on the top of the page.
Old January 7th, 2019, 04:58 PM
72 Olds CS

ill bite

I fall into the "This will not help with people that do not understand why they shouldn't do it in the first place" category

on many forums keeping like topics in one thread is good...this is less so on CO. I can see why replying to a 10 year old for sale thread might not be good
but if a headliner install question is answered 2 years later would it still not be helpful?
Old January 7th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
ill bite

I fall into the "This will not help with people that do not understand why they shouldn't do it in the first place" category

on many forums keeping like topics in one thread is good...this is less so on CO. I can see why replying to a 10 year old for sale thread might not be good
but if a headliner install question is answered 2 years later would it still not be helpful?
I agree. Some websites lock threads or move to an archive, that's not great either. Some also will not let you edit your post after a short period of time, also not good.