The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

17 with a 71 Cutlass Supreme.

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2017, 08:59 AM

17 with a 71 Cutlass Supreme.

Hey everyone, my name is Layne. I have a 71 Cutlass with an automatic and 350, my grandma bought in the 70's and I drive it as my daily when it's running. It definitely gets some looks and thumbs ups even with its nice rattle can primer paint job. I work on this car a lot, usually my dad telling me what to do and me doing it, but I'm good with my hands and ready to start doing more things on my own. I just got finished swapping the heater core by myself and now I'm going to see if I can find the rest of the ac parts in the garage. I drive it around daily, but the list of things wrong with it is pretty decently sized. No working gauges, A/C, or radio, dents and dings all over, wiring is a bit messy, ect. When I drive it to school in the morning in freezing temperatures I have to roll down the windows otherwise they get too steamed up to see out of. I have done most of my driving in this car, and have never known how fast I was going or how much fuel is in the tank. Every one of my friends jokes about how unsafe and never working it is, but I love every second I'm around it. I've used this forum for info in the past and I'm ready to join the club. It's so much help getting information from people even more passionate about these old cars than me. I can't wait until everyone in my generation is off chasing after Mustangs and WRX's while I'll be swapping in a 455. Thank you for all the help I'm sure many of you will provide!
The best picture of my car yet. You can almost imagine there's not a huge amount of body work to be done.
Old December 16th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site Layne, its always nice to get young/younger people excited and involved in the hobby. Its also nice when your dad can help you with your projects. Your car looks to be really solid and most of the issues you've described are fairly minor. Keep up the great attitude.
Old December 16th, 2017, 10:39 AM

Nice car to work and learn on. Nothing beats the father/son moments shared working on your first vehicle. My dad did it with me (1954 Nash lol) and I did it with my son (1971 GMC pu).
Good luck with it, and as you already know you'll enjoy working on and driving this car much more than something "bought of the lot".

Last edited by Cutlass Fan; December 16th, 2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old December 16th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Always room for one more

Welcome Layne. If you're running short of car mojo, I'm sure you know you can go over to Harrah's car museum. Love that place, been a member for years.
Old December 16th, 2017, 12:16 PM
CutOvers Olds Parts Guys

Love the 71's Layne. The search function on here and Google when it comes back to here have been my best sources for information. Good luck on your build
Old December 16th, 2017, 12:38 PM

Welcome and congratulations!! Nice car!
Old December 16th, 2017, 01:56 PM

Hi Layne, beautiful 71 you have there !!!!
Old December 16th, 2017, 02:10 PM
delete

Layne, thats a lot better start than a lot of people have. Gotta love Nevada. Good luck with it.
Old December 18th, 2017, 07:30 AM

Nice car Layne,
If you dont have one yet, I suggest getting a copy of the 1971 Chassis Service Manual, you can find them on Ebay, or from some of the restoration supply companies. It is the book that the dealership mechanics used when working on your car. It will help you trace and repair most of the issues you have with the car.
Good luck and have fun with your Supreme
Old December 18th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Layne, nice ride. Don't give up, it takes patience and hard work to be different from the "In Crowd". Classic cars don't need to be fast, they've done their duty. All they have to be now is admired, and that they made it past the crusher. Hang on to your Cutlass just as your grandma did and pass it along to your children. Nothing turns heads like and older classic car. Good luck.
Old December 18th, 2017, 03:19 PM

Layne - Red car in my post was started on by my kid when he was 13, he did all the dirty work & helped w/ all facets of resto over 4 years, especially summers. He's been driving it since June '09 when it was registered in time for senior prom & graduation. Hasn't stopped driving it 24/7/365 in CT, somewhat distressingly I don't think he's even tuned it up since it hit the road! It's hanging in there & still looking good & running well despite some long deferred odds & ends the worst being driving it for 1 1/2 years w/ no heater core (& fender liner removal) because he was "too busy." 9:1 350 w/ very mild roller cam, Qjet, 68 OAI, HEI, RPM, BRF 200-4R & 3.08's so he can & does drive it anywhere.

Keep your eye on the future & try to do things once if possible. Figure out if cosmetics or mechanicals are the priority & I hope you can keep your car driving as much as possible while you work through your projects. Lots of knowledge & help at your disposal on this sight.

Have Fun!
Old December 18th, 2017, 03:48 PM

Welcome to CO Layne, nice 71, nice to have grampa's car. As suggested get a factory manual and you will fix the small problems. Ask questions for the tougher problems, lots of knowledge here.
Old December 19th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to a place where the members are passionate about their Oldsmobiles and very willing to pass along the years and years of knowledge they have acquired...
Old December 20th, 2017, 05:20 AM

Welcome to the site. Very cool project.
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:22 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Younger members is a great thing and no questions are off limits. Glad to see you don't mind getting your hands dirty. Post more pics when you can.

Old December 20th, 2017, 11:50 AM

Welcome aboard, Glad you came out of the closet
Old December 20th, 2017, 06:02 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Never mind the dents and rattle can paint job....you have a desert dry car. Thats 100% of the battle IMO. The rest is all cosmetics, mechanics and a little metal work.
Make it reliable first then work on the pretty.
Start replacing all consumables...EG anything rubber, in particular, the brake lines and tires. And of course belts n hoses. Use Premixed coolant after a good flush. Never add tap water to coolant.
Do a full service on it EG ALL fluids...trans(full flush n filter), brake, diff, power steering, coolant... repack front wheel bearings with new grease seals(USA made for both) etc...And for god sake try to replace everything with USA made parts. You should have several yards in Reno with plenty of usable rust free parts. Remember...older is better in 99.9% of things these days. Im running 1971 rotors on my 68. Never been cut! Try that with the chineasium junk.