General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Body tag "Z" ?

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2017, 01:04 PM

Body tag "Z" ?

Im sure its been discussed at some point but I can't find it in a search. Could you guys tell me what the Z means?
Thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0030.JPG (2.43 MB, 72 views)
Old December 6th, 2017, 01:12 PM

A mystery to this day. Nobody has figured it out
Old December 6th, 2017, 01:47 PM
same but different

This has been mystery for the olds crowd here. Hopefully some day some one will figure it out.

It appears that most people agree that its interior or trim related. Some info relates it to being Canadian in origin, but that appears debunked. Someone just last week asked this question in the newbie forum. I can at least lead you to a couple of discussions on this here on CO. Look for other links within the second one to lead you to at least two others. Post #2 and #53.

Have fun, its quite the rabbit hole.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nvertible.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...mystery-2.html
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:06 PM

Understood, I did post a question a while back regarding a Z also on the broadcast card for same car. Maybe they are related? Thanks just the same guys.
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:09 PM

The Z is also on the broadcast card under the spcl in the Trim column, perhaps a special order of some sort that has to do with trim?
Attached Images
IMG_5229.jpg (1.56 MB, 70 views)

Last edited by scrappie; December 6th, 2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:33 PM
same but different

Exactly.

But what?

Seat belts?
Dash trim?
Seat something or other?

I've got nothing but guess's galore.

I'd rather know this than what treasure is on Oak Island. Or pirates treasure in general.
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:39 PM

maybe for a "not recommended" interior color. Isn't 933 blue buckets? 25 is for Astro blue so those would be a recommended color combo - so that's not it either. Oh well.

Deluxe seat belts?
Old December 6th, 2017, 03:01 PM

No deluxe seat belts in car and pretty sure original?
No dash trim (maybe for no dash trim?)
Old December 6th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Maintained

Originally Posted by scrappie
No deluxe seat belts in car and pretty sure original?
No dash trim (maybe for no dash trim?)

nope, mine has the dash trim and special "Z" too.

Old December 7th, 2017, 05:21 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Could the Z be for console brackets? Neither of my W-31’s have the Z, and neither of them are factory console cars.
Old December 7th, 2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
Could the Z be for console brackets? Neither of my W-31’s have the Z, and neither of them are factory console cars.
As all the other threads, this has all been said. I had a Z and a non Z car with a console. At one time I was told by a guy from Oldsmobile one thing but that has even been debunked. It almost has to be an internal code used by the plant for something other than options. Shift change, or a marker for special random inspections, or who knows what.... Maybe the guy that made the tags with a Z wanted his marking on them to spot them in the field and know he made the tag. I do not believe we will ever know this one.
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:12 AM

Maybe something to do with beginning and end of model year or overlap since my car was a 12 (Dec) and Scott's was a 01 (jan)? Just spitballing now
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by scrappie
Maybe something to do with beginning and end of model year or overlap since my car was a 12 (Dec) and Scott's was a 01 (jan)?
Model-year changeovers occur over the summer, not in December/January.
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:16 AM

Right, I just looked at a Feb build date with a Z so thats not it....
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
As all the other threads, this has all been said. I had a Z and a non Z car with a console. At one time I was told by a guy from Oldsmobile one thing but that has even been debunked. It almost has to be an internal code used by the plant for something other than options. Shift change, or a marker for special random inspections, or who knows what.... Maybe the guy that made the tags with a Z wanted his marking on them to spot them in the field and know he made the tag. I do not believe we will ever know this one.
"Z" on a tag & "Z" on a card would indicate something purposeful - not one individual's whim
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
"Z" on a tag & "Z" on a card would indicate something purposeful - not one individual's whim
Probably not but we are not likely ever going to know what it is.
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:46 PM

As prev discussed, as the "Z" is on the trim tag and on the Sheet the code is fisher Body related, in my opinion and stated before possible "customer order".

Last edited by paulolds; December 7th, 2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old December 7th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Maintained

now that makes sense to me.

the first owner, ordered my W30 the way it came with non standard side stripe color and not the recommended white stripes to match interior.
Old December 7th, 2017, 02:29 PM
same but different

I like the idea Paulolds has. Some traction there. I love a good mystery. If we keep at it, maybe someone new has some light to share on this.

I found another post here on Co...just a couple of years old now, not sure if anyone else remembers it. At least I think this is new (old) link we haven't covered, yet again.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-1970-a-5.html
Old December 7th, 2017, 04:42 PM
Lansing built

Well, I finally ran it to the guy that did some of the stamping of cowl tags at Fisher in Lansing. He said we just followed the IBM card. He had no knowledge of Z meaning!

Again, pure speculation theory of Bob Reeve which I am starting to like, is a special check by inspectors. It could be something like Oldsmobile Vanguard program?

Pat
Old December 7th, 2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by paulolds
As prev discussed, as the "Z" is on the trim tag and on the Sheet the code is fisher Body related, in my opinion and stated before possible "customer order".
The 70 W-30 I sold was not a Z code car and I know it was ordered specific with A/C and no stripes by the original owners grandmother.
Old December 7th, 2017, 06:08 PM

We also had a 70 W-30 that was a Z code car that was Sebring Yellow with light blue stripes and interior.
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:27 PM

Eric can you post pictures of that yellow with blue stripe car?
Old December 8th, 2017, 06:41 AM

My 70 W30 has Z930 and was a stripe delete, with his/her, rear defogger and interior lighting package.
Old December 8th, 2017, 06:43 AM

Just a thought, the wire that runs to map light in mirror?
Old December 8th, 2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Eric can you post pictures of that yellow with blue stripe car?
It was red when we had it but the original color was yellow. My dad seen it at the dealer when it was new and we had the order form. I still want to track that car down. It was a very high optioned W-30. A/C, power windows, locks, trunk, seat, dualgate, spoiler, and all of it was ordered, not added. Even had the Lansing build sheet and broadcast card. I have been trying very hard to track this car down. I believe it is still owned by the people we sold it to but I can not locate them.
Old December 8th, 2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Just a thought, the wire that runs to map light in mirror?
That is part of the light package
Old December 9th, 2017, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
That is part of the light package
Thought was did fisher body install wire and result in Z code.
Old December 9th, 2017, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Thought was did fisher body install wire and result in Z code.
I have had cars both ways on this also. The light package is its own code and that would be included with the code
Old December 9th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Always room for one more

Here's something I thought of, what about carpeting? Was there a standard carpet and an upgraded carpet?

Just as feasible at this point, some guy named Zimmerman making the stamps and thinking, boy I'm really going to mess with people years from now...
Old December 10th, 2017, 06:14 AM

my 70 c/s has a Z on the trim tag,strato buckets dark saddle interior. i remember reading some where that the Z was for export cars, just putting it out here because i'm stumped also. my car was lansing built but sold new in ontario
Old December 10th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Maintained

Originally Posted by paulolds
I'm still leaning towards Paul's guess. Haven't heard any comments that would expel it.

If a customer ordered the car specific to their wants and needs the factory must have a way of informing the lines crews that this car needs extra attention.

This would explain the "Z" in the "spcl" box of the broadcast cards too.
Old December 10th, 2017, 07:07 AM

Factories don't think that way. The idea behind a mass production system is you just follow the instructions, whether it's for Joe Montana or Joe Sixpack. Dude on the line could not know the codes other than remembering this called for this.

The code is attached to the trim code, so it is something independent of all options, and independent of the trim color scheme, yet somehow related to it. Some sort of modifier. Was there any sort of interior trim option on the interior panels, or any sort of upgrade? That, or extra carpet insulation would be my current thinking.
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Lansing built

The extra padding or deluxe carpeting is not it. Bob Reeve (carshine bob) whom I have asked about anything that he has noticed over the last 3 decades of restoring vehicles as a business, mainly Oldsmobile A bodies. He said "nothing as far as brackets, extra padding or any other anomaly between Z trim code and non Z"

http://www.carshinerestorations.com/

Pat
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
The extra padding or deluxe carpeting is not it. Bob Reeve (carshine bob) whom I have asked about anything that he has noticed over the last 3 decades of restoring vehicles as a business, mainly Oldsmobile A bodies. He said "nothing as far as brackets, extra padding or any other anomaly between Z trim code and non Z"

http://www.carshinerestorations.com/

Pat
This has been many peoples experience. I would love to know but bet the information is not going to be found.
Old December 10th, 2017, 09:11 AM

Since I'm mentioned in this thread I'll Chime in too. Out of the hundreds of cars I've parted out and the many I've restored, I've never found what the Z was for. My best guess is assembly line related (an inspection, check or audit) not related to the build of the body. ~BOB
Old December 12th, 2017, 05:40 PM

Z code

I spent some time going through the Inspectors guide for 1971 and looked at the page where all the punch codes were. In particular I was looking for codes for dealer ordering and found the following:
Column 3
A: GM Employee
B: Olds Fisher Employee
C: allied Division
D: Dealer Demo
E: Driver Education
F: Fleet Order
R: Factory Driveout
S: Sold Order
T: Terminated Dealer
W: Fleet replacement
X: Export order.

Since S is desiganted as a sold orer ,my previous throry of "Z" being a code for that does not hold water

Noting that Y and Z are not used in that column and the "Z" in question applies to trim, let look at what trim idiosyncracies may apply to the cars that are identified here.

Since the trim code designates the front seat type by body style then the code might reflect some abnormality reflecting the combination of seat, console,how the floor was punched (console or manual) wiring (neutral safety,concole lights(none in 4 speed). Console modification for Husrt Dual Gate (?).
For example
I am looking at a 1970 W31 Cutlass S with Black buckets and Hurst Dual gate, It has the Z on the trim tag.

How does this compare with other findings, are there Z codes on 4 door cars, i think there are. What other seat ,console,shifter combos have Z codes.

Paul
Old December 12th, 2017, 09:30 PM

Since the trim code designates the front seat type by body style then the code might reflect some abnormality reflecting the combination of seat, console,how the floor was punched (console or manual) wiring (neutral safety,concole lights(none in 4 speed). Console modification for Husrt Dual Gate (?).
For example
I am looking at a 1970 W31 Cutlass S with Black buckets and Hurst Dual gate, It has the Z on the trim tag.

How does this compare with other findings, are there Z codes on 4 door cars, i think there are. What other seat ,console,shifter combos have Z codes.

Paul

Following your example above my 1970 W31 Cutlass S with Black buckets and regular console shift has the Z on the cowl tag & the trim tag. Same combination with the only difference being the nature of the shifter.

Dave
Attached Images
IMG_20141104_165808.jpg (891.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; December 12th, 2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:09 AM
Lansing built

Paulolds yes IIRC that Mike (slantflat) has a 70 Cutlass sedan with bench and column with the recommended interior color and style sold in the U.S.

His car kills most theories.

Pat
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:32 AM
Always room for one more

You know what's funny, my first 70 4 door has the Z and is as standard as they come. Bench seat column automatic, it's a weird color combo, Reef Turquoise with a black roof and Sherwood green interior. Now, my second 70 4 door is almost a duplicate, but is Aspen Green with a white top and Sherwood interior and it doesn't have the Z. About the only difference is the first car has the rear defrost and the second one doesn't.

Quick Reply: Body tag "Z" ?