General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rims question/feedback

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2017, 07:43 AM

Rims question/feedback

I joined the website this month and was just curious about a few things. I own a 1975 Delta 88 Royale Convertible and have the opportunity to purchase rally wheels for it (already purchased a few things from members). I have the stock rims with spoke hub caps on it now and was wondering if the rally wheels were an option back then or is it just a personal preference. I've seen a couple of different pictures of them on my vehicle on line and they look great. Not going to show the car but will be driving it to area cruise nights and everywhere else I can. Positive/Negative feedback will be helpful. Great website and cruise on folks. Matt
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Harp 1
I joined the website this month and was just curious about a few things. I own a 1975 Delta 88 Royale Convertible and have the opportunity to purchase rally wheels for it (already purchased a few things from members). I have the stock rims with spoke hub caps on it now and was wondering if the rally wheels were an option back then or is it just a personal preference. I've seen a couple of different pictures of them on my vehicle on line and they look great. Not going to show the car but will be driving it to area cruise nights and everywhere else I can. Positive/Negative feedback will be helpful. Great website and cruise on folks. Matt
What are you calling "rally" wheels? If you mean Oldsmobile SuperStock wheels as usually seen on 442s, they will NOT fit your Delta. The SuperStock I/II/III wheels only came in the 5x4.75" bolt pattern used on the A-body cars. Your B-body has a 5x5" bolt pattern. The only SuperStock wheels that fit are the rare SSIV wheels from 1971-72.

Old March 27th, 2017, 08:20 AM

Joe is correct. My father; Oldsguy, put some SS II/III wheels on his 1969 Olds Delta 88 with bolt pattern adapters. It looked BAD@$$ but one of the wheels came loose when he was driving. Luckily he was going slow and it only did minor damage to the fender. I can't suggest bolt pattern adapters. Maybe I can find a pic of his Delta 88 on our site...
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:31 AM

Wasn't sure on the name just thought they were called rally wheels. That's why I came here and asked some of the experts. Just trying to learn as I go. Stock spoke hub caps it is. Thanks Matt
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

FYI, these are "Rally Wheels", as seen on Chevrolets:

These are "Rally II" wheels, as seen on Pontiacs.

These are Oldsmobile SuperStock wheels.

Old March 27th, 2017, 08:49 AM

The Oldsmobile SS wheels were so popular that even Ford tried to jump on the band wagon to boost their sales:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...FYuNswodDl0NJA
Old March 27th, 2017, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
The Oldsmobile SS wheels were so popular that even Ford tried to jump on the band wagon to boost their sales:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...FYuNswodDl0NJA
Except Ford was using those as early as '65 on Mustang GTs, so I think they were first.
Old March 27th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by TRWham
Except Ford was using those as early as '65 on Mustang GTs, so I think they were first.
Nearly every automaker offered some version of the Magnum 500s on their musclecars. Note the blue ones on the Hurst SC/Rambler.

Also, Buick road wheels are NOT the same as Magnum 500s.

Old March 27th, 2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Nearly every automaker offered some version of the Magnum 500s on their musclecars...]
Was referring to the SSIIs similar to the Summit wheel linked. Much wider spoke than the SSIs or similar, but very much like the 65-66 Mustang GT wheel.