General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Valve Stem Seals

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2017, 07:53 AM

Valve Stem Seals

Hi all, my resto goes on....

I am looking for a set of Valve Stem Seals for the 215 (3.5l) motor in my 62 Cutlass, any ideas please?

Gerry in the UK.
Old February 17th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 62cutlassGT
Gerry in the UK.
Wait!

You DO realize this is the Rover 3.5 liter engine, right? Don't parts for those grow on trees in your neighborhood? Shouldn't you be shipping parts for these engines to us?

RockAuto also shows FelPro SS70393, for $4.36.

RA also sells Sealed Power ST2001, which is the positive retention type that requires the top of the valve guide to be machined.

Old February 19th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by barron1941
Be careful your engine is not a Rover,it is an Oldsmobile,Rover engine is a Buick design,and is a some want a different animal, as soon as they hear 215 alluinum v8 its a Rover or a Buick and that is wrong, it shares some parts but that is all.go to alluminulv8.com & look at there parts list & you will see how few are the same,they have been working with these engines for over 50 years they are the experts on all version of 215 v8!
One more time: The FelPro valve seal part numbers are EXACTLY the same for the Buford and Olds versions of the 215. The Olds version IS a Buick motor. The only differences are the specific head castings and the extra head bolt around each cylinder. Neither of these change the valve seal P/N.

While D&D certainly has a lot of experience with these motors, the OP is in the UK. There are DOZENS of 215 specialty houses there.
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
One more time: The FelPro valve seal part numbers are EXACTLY the same for the Buford and Olds versions of the 215. The Olds version IS a Buick motor. The only differences are the specific head castings and the extra head bolt around each cylinder. Neither of these change the valve seal P/N.

While D&D certainly has a lot of experience with these motors, the OP is in the UK. There are DOZENS of 215 specialty houses there.
Many thanks for your help guys.

The Rover V8 (3500cc) here in the UK is based on your 215 but the heads are different, as I have just found out. The 215 rocker covers are 5 bolt fixing as opposed to 4 for the Rover. The valve stem seals are larger on the 215. I have contacted AluminiumV8 regarding these parts and am waiting for a reply.

Gerry
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Many thanks for your help guys.

The Rover V8 (3500cc) here in the UK is based on your 215 but the heads are different, as I have just found out. The 215 rocker covers are 5 bolt fixing as opposed to 4 for the Rover. The valve stem seals are larger on the 215. I have contacted AluminiumV8 regarding these parts and am waiting for a reply.

Gerry
You should look at the photos on this web site for side-by-side comparisons of Rover, Buick, and Olds blocks and heads. The difference in the rocker covers doesn't affect the valve seals. Olds is the third from the left in the photo below.

Your money, your car. If you sleep better going to D&D, knock yourself out. I'm cheap and would rather keep the money in my wallet. Good luck.
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:54 AM

Joe, I am after rocker gaskets and VSS, I realise the two are not connected but there is nobody in the UK that stocks them. Explain D&D and do I read it right, you can supply these parts?
Old February 20th, 2017, 08:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe, I am after rocker gaskets and VSS, I realise the two are not connected but there is nobody in the UK that stocks them. Explain D&D and do I read it right, you can supply these parts?
D&D Fabrications is the company with the aluminumv8.com website that you have talked to. I pointed out above that RockAuto lists these parts for an Olds 215 - the valve seals are under US$5 and the valve cover gaskets are also about the same price. FelPro still makes them. RA ships to the UK, though with that FelPro part number you can probably source them locally and avoid shipping costs.
Old February 20th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll add that the Olds/Buick 215s used 5/16" valve stems and seals. The Rover used 11/32. Any 5/16" umbrella seals will work, as they are all the same.
Old February 20th, 2017, 08:33 AM

Thanks again Joe, I will give the guys at RA a go.

Thought you might like to see the front of my Cutlass as of today?