General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Heating my garage

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2016, 07:24 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Heating my garage

Ok so I got my garage drywalled finally with some help from some talented friends. They did 95 percent of the work lol. I only got in the way. Anyway im looking at a mr heat 30000 btu propane unit. This is what im looking at for ease and cost. I do not want to pipe gas to my garage . Im only looking to keep it warm enough to work in. Anywho the heater is a propane unit. My question to fellow members who live in rural areas is how long does the propane last. Im looking at a tank the size of a standard unit for a fork lift. which is 7 gallons. How long will it last appx ??? This is the first winter i plan on working in my garage after living here 5 years. Im open to creative ideas but i feel this is the safest and cheapest heating solution for me. Its on the smaller side for my garage but i feel with 2 cars in there and it being insulated well it should be comfortable to work in there. This is my way around city code. Although using a heater like this is not code legal. The propane tank will only be used when the heater is in service. Other than that its technically being stored and the tank will be put out side the garage. So if anything where to happen the heater can be ruled out .

Link for heater unit is under the pic .

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FY-FaQod8m8DJg

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 18th, 2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:13 PM

Why not use the bottle from your cooking gas grill if you have one. That is a 20 pound for most cooking grills.
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:19 PM

Those are too expensive over time . i think its cheaper to invest in a tank for 125 and have it filled. I could buy a 100 lb tank but then i would have to build an enclosure to keep it safe etc etc. For now i feel the forklift tanks would last longer and be cheaper in the long run. tank exchange cost 20 bucks a pop. Right now looks like its at 75 cents a gallon for a fill up.

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 18th, 2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:25 PM
same but different

The link you posted is a natural gas unit.

Propane and natural gas are two different animals.

Make sure...please.

Regardless which unit you order, download the manual before you hit buy it now. It will list approximate run time on fuel requirements. Your mileage might differ.

I have a big buddy that runs on the 20lb bottle of propane. It can last all winter or it can last about 2 solid long weekends in the garage, similar space.

Last edited by don71; October 18th, 2016 at 08:28 PM. Reason: big buddy
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:30 PM

Don71 thanks for that. I used the wrong link. There is a propane version.

http://www.landmsupply.com/departmen...FQczaQodsfIKow

FWIW my garage is about 20 wide 30 deep by 10 high.

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 18th, 2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:39 PM
same but different

Glad you caught that. My heater is 50% less btu. The manual relates that to 25hrs on high or 100hrs on low with a 20lb tank.

So for you, you'll need to double that. Meaning a 20lb tank might last 1-3 days in your example.

Of course your mileage will vary.

Last edited by don71; October 18th, 2016 at 08:42 PM. Reason: info
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:44 PM

I will be using it full blast lol i plan on doing body work and need to keep it atleast at a 60 degree minimum. This means a 40 lb tank will suit me good. A few days of good heat for the money its well worth it. Homedepot actually has the 40lb tanks from wellington for under 100 bucks.
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:47 PM
72 Olds CS

I've got a 24-24 insulated garage. When I work in there I use a gas grill type tank w heater that screws to the top. Similar to this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2795_200612795 but only a single rectangle unit that adjusts from 15-45k btu. Coleman brand. Not nearly as bulky as that one looks It works well not to loud or smelly and easy to move around, I crack the 2 entry doors to allow some ventilation it will bring the air temp up from mid 30s to mid 50s in about 20 minutes. I usually turn it off or on the lowest setting then. I usually wear an insulated coverall too. Also I park a reg use car in the garage to take advantage of any heat it can shed. The cement floor never warms up so the garage will cool back down just as quick and working on the floor results in a chill sooner than later.

IMO it's fine for occasional use and that's how I use it. My bud has radiant heat concrete floor in his garage w outdoor wood fired boiler and w it set at 45* it is 100x more comfortable than mine in the dead of winter.

To keep the heat up I think my tank will last 8 hours...
Old October 18th, 2016, 09:01 PM

I saw those units but i like the enclosed ones for the fact i can buy the blower unit for it which is a plus.
Old October 18th, 2016, 09:20 PM

Run a CO detector so you don't keel yourself.
Old October 19th, 2016, 04:54 AM

Yes. A smoke detector and Co monitor will be placed on the wall. Great suggestion

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 19th, 2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old October 19th, 2016, 07:35 AM
wait.... what....

I know you said that you don't want to run a gas line, but you wouldn't regret it if you did. I have a gas heater in my garage, it's very well insulated, and keeping it set at 65 all the time, it costs me very little to heat. It costs more up front, but I'm sure glad i went the gas route.
Old October 19th, 2016, 10:37 AM

Copper remembering your property layout from when I was there, you may have another issue, if you install a bulk propane tank there are differing code requirements for setback from buildings & property lines. You might want to call a local propane supplier from your cell & give them a different address fora quote but give them your lot's size & neighbors garage locations etc.
Also just to think about of they tell you there isn't enough proper clearance, you may have an issue with your homeowners insurance, as they do periodic "assessments" of residences, and that might get sticky for you.

As others have already stated, be safe.

Brett
Old October 19th, 2016, 10:44 AM
4 Barrels of Laughs

PRopane is very sensitive to cold, hence it does not vaporize as well in the cold, and does not output the btus it could. Most rv equipment manufacturers will supply a chart that lets you guess on the consumption for a x#btu device used in certain temps.

Aside from the extreme amounts of moisture it puts in the air (hydrocarbon+O2 = CO2 + H2O) its likes to sniff out fumes. cars give off fumes. carb cars more so than others.

I went electric, ceiling mount, large BTU. it costs more per hour to run, but I can turn it on 20 mins before work, and in half an hour be in shirt sleeves....this is in a 24x28 full insulated with 9' ceiling (also insulated)
Old October 19th, 2016, 11:11 AM

What heater do you run ? Quad. Also paladin I plan on using a smaller tank to avoid that issue a 40 lb tank is technically still listed for a grill. I plan on installing it in an insulated blast proof cabinet. And running a line into the garage. It will be disconnected every night. At both ends as if I use it outside there will only be a coupler in the wall . Since the heater is portable and won't be connected to anything it's technically being stored in the garage. this is just my way around code laws. And my insurance won't cover if my garage has code flaws but if both things are isolated every time I'm done using them then they themselves fall victims to typical storage. Most people leave propane tanks outside for their grills and you can store stuff in your garage. Once there is no line to gas on that heater both items fall into that dead zone.

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 19th, 2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old October 19th, 2016, 11:47 AM

I live in a rural area that gets cold and I like the ceiling mounted Modine Hot Dawg heaters. They are power vented (I vent horizontally but they can also be vented vertically) with a blower to move the heated air, so it's a different animal.

I'm fortunate enough where my 500 gallon propane tank is in close proximity to all my buildings. My Dad used to have a 250 gallon vertical tank right next to each building before he got a central tank and ran lines to all the buildings.

My propane company charges $10 per year to rent a 500 gallon tank. Not sure why folks buy tanks other than you can buy your propane from anyone if you own the tank. I pre-buy my propane in the summer and it was $0.999/gallon this summer. It is much more expensive to buy propane in small quantities.

If I were you I'd look at getting a small 125 or 250 gallon vertical tank (from your propane company) and have it placed right next to the garage (if running a line from a bigger tank is an issue). I'd also get a small (30K BTU) Modine Hot Dawg heater for a little over $500. I usually keep it 40/45 degrees (sink and stuff) and kick it up to around 70 when I need some warmth for working.
Old October 19th, 2016, 02:07 PM

If you go propane, as Happy says, just rent your tank from your local propane supplier. They will maintain it and if you sign up on their program they will keep it full. There is no cost for this service and the propane is usually sold at a cheaper rate then you can buy it for. They will also fill your BBQ tanks. Nothing wrong with electric either if you have the capacity. It's not like your going to less it heated when not in use.
Old October 19th, 2016, 02:17 PM

My first garage 24x25 attached I used half of the heating element from a heat pump (free) had to pay for the #8 or 10 cord I ran and the breaker (same as my weld circuit) did very good job but had to start it up early or leave it a low temp in order to heat up in a reasonable amount of time. I had insulated walls but an open ceiling which effected the efficiency but overall it worked great and was cheap to operate.

This garage 25x32 attached I have a 40k btu natural gas heater which I love, gets it toasty warm in no time and just flip a switch.

I hear you on the codes and insurance but those are in place for a reason. I know you have the best intentions on disconnecting it every night but I just don't see that as reasonable, no fault of yours but "stuff" happens and "heck it's too cold out tonight", or "I just need to run out for a minute" and you leave it on.......well, most accidents are really preventable. I've lost a race/street car to fire, and I've had two friends have garage fires and all were preventable or avoidable. Just take extra precautions and have some fire extinguishers handy if you do go this route. I'd rather see you do it to code though and sleep well at night.

Also I've heard that propane residue is no Bueno with bodywork because it leaves residue.
Old October 19th, 2016, 03:30 PM
4 Barrels of Laughs

I run a 'Farenheat 7500w' FUH724. It sells at home depot for about 470 currently, I got it for under 400 via amazon and with prime - free shipping no tax.

they say 30 amp, they lie, I ran #8 wire in 3 conductors and plug it into the welder outlet which can be 50 amp, but I break it to 40 amp (I have yet to weld anything that needed more than 120 torch amps which is like 30 at the outlet)

A lot of fire codes do not allow unvented flame heaters in the garage area....check your local laws...
Old October 19th, 2016, 03:45 PM

I won't be painting in my garage. Just all the body work metal work. I have done body work in a garage with propane heat with no issues. But I guess I will find out.
Old October 19th, 2016, 04:23 PM

Not sure why propane would leave residue since the burn cycle is out of the loop. The exhaust and burner are vented to the outside. I guess if the heat is fan circulated you could get some flying dust but you could solve that with a dust collector of some sort. Good luck with your choice.
Old October 19th, 2016, 05:00 PM

The car will get painted at the shop I work at as I can use the booth.
Old October 19th, 2016, 05:38 PM

This is a little off subject but I like the lighting..nice job copper!
Got it now!

Sean
Old October 19th, 2016, 05:50 PM

Thanks. Im still adding more lights lol. I cant have enough lights. Love a bright shop.
Old October 19th, 2016, 07:55 PM

here in iowa and probably alot of places code is you can put a 250 gallon tank right next to your building,anything over that and it has to be 10ft from the structure.i used to have a 250 right behind my houses garage.but i installed a standby generator in my garage and it needs more surface area in the tank for the vapor so had to bump to a 500 gallon tank.so i put the tank between my house and my machine shed and while i ran a gas line to the corner of the house garage i t'ed off it and ran a line to my deck and put a shut-off valve on my deck railing so i don't need to deal with the 20 pound bbq tanks anymore.i then ran across a 80k btu high efficency furnace for $150 and put it next to my generator.and last winter i went thru about 150 gallons and it was for a 24x36 garage and .80 cents a gallon.and it was a pretty constant 50 degrees.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:52 PM

Guys i think i finally made my mind up from help from you guys. Since the basic radiant heaters worked so good from what some members said. I stumble across this Dewalt heater. From the reviews it should work perfect in my garage. For 150 Seems like a deal. I actually have 2 20 lb tanks so im just going to have them filled vs. buying a 40 lb tank at the local airgas. Picking it up this weekend.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...nt-heater.html
Old November 2nd, 2016, 06:41 PM

Have you thought about using a 220 construction heater ?
Old November 2nd, 2016, 06:58 PM

Thats my one big issue No 240 in my garage yet.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:30 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Guys i think i finally made my mind up from help from you guys. Since the basic radiant heaters worked so good from what some members said. I stumble across this Dewalt heater. From the reviews it should work perfect in my garage. For 150 Seems like a deal. I actually have 2 20 lb tanks so im just going to have them filled vs. buying a 40 lb tank at the local airgas. Picking it up this weekend.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...nt-heater.html
That's a heck of a deal. I miss F&F - wish they were down south. Good luck on your project.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:51 AM

I have had good results in the past with a quality 220 construction heater.
Quality as in made in Canada/USA UL/CSA standards.
Home run from the panel to the outlet to code never had any issues.

Good luck with you project