The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2016, 09:30 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Just catching up on the thread and I see we have a newcomer. Welcome, only a New York plate would have ASSMAN on it, lol.

Was at GM Carlisle last week with my 63 Riv. Was a good show, lots of Oldsmobiles and Olds displays including the Fouronado, the Cutlass with a Toronado drivetrain. Took the whole family, met some friends, and took 1st place in the Riviera class.

Getting ready to head to Williamsburg, VA for the Riviera National Meet tomorrow morning. The show lasts all next week. Not bringing the Riv though, wish I could but everyone's bringing too much crap.

London - Brexit sounds like a good thing, hopefully you'll get more control over your government, eventually.

Jamesbo - love the propane tank. Too bad my oil tank wasn't shaped the same way, it gives me ideas.

Mike - I see your in the big D, safe travels. Are you meeting any Classic Olds members there like Richard?

Heading to bed, have an 8 hour drive ahead of me tomorrow. Have a good night all
Old June 26th, 2016, 08:04 AM

Good evening. Long weekend is nearing its end. Ended up driving >300 miles again with my Cutlass. Spend whole first part of today hunting for new light-bulb sockets, to taillight and side-markers. It was like finding a needle from haystack, due to the amount of sockets available at market.

LondonCutlass- They startedhere in Finland too to collect signs of voters for bringing to the table the possible leaving of EU. Im all in for that, we pay more than we receive, and they knee us down by their stupid Russian Trading sanctions.

OLD SKL 69- Congratulations! Must have been nice to get that award. May i bet, its your wife whos bringing too much crap?
Old June 26th, 2016, 08:15 AM

Darrell, congrats on the first place win.
Old June 26th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Captain Starfire

Dern tootin', it's a hot one. But at least I got the grass cut & trimmed yessa'day. Need to brave the heat again today and do some more assorted activities out there.

Jamesbo, better you than me. I think the Almighty for the very limited family I now have. I loved looking after the elderly, but now the worst thing on the horizon is trying to help my terminally unemployed and computer illiterate "little" brother (doesn't text or even have an email address) try to get some semblance of a job so he won't have to come live with us... so I guess that's really selfish on my part. I took 4 hours with him Friday to do a resume, cover letter, and job application, and now I'm praying for a minor miracle.

We all have our crosses.

Whelpt, let the sweating begin!
Old June 26th, 2016, 12:43 PM

Hot and dry as a popcorn phart

John, Yes, I'm most familiar with "Gladly the Cross eyed Bear"

Shoulda listened to grand pa. " Always marry and orphan"
Old June 26th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Captain Starfire

All I can think of at this moment is "There's a bathroom on the right."
Old June 26th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Things were back to normal when I got home this morning, internet and cable was working. No idea what the trouble was, maybe a transformer blew up and took out the cable.

Darrell, sorry 'bout that, I wasn't in Dallas I was at work. Big D= Delta. Congrats on the trophy. Safe trip to VA.

John are you a CCR fan?

Jamesbo how did things go yesterday? How was the canoe?

Guess I'll get moving. Have a good evening everyone.
Old June 26th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Captain Starfire

Mike, I like a couple of their songs (Bad Moon Risin' being one of them, and Travelin' Band the other); but can't actually call myself a "fan." You?
Old June 27th, 2016, 04:18 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Gonna try to get thru the week.

Have a Monday.
Old June 27th, 2016, 04:22 AM

Mawn'in all

Dry and hot

Mike, Ole Lyndon Johnson used to say "Sometimes ya gotta be like a mule in a dust storm, Jes hunker down and wait til it blows over"

That sorta sums up my weekend experience. Thanks for axing. I made it thru with only a few scars and didn't go postal sooooooooooooooo all is well.

Now since it's Monday, I'm off to do more important things than smile and act like I give a $hit to alot of people I don't know [or wanta know]

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all... Nudder brutal one down in the LA furnace. Washed two cars this morning and feel like I've been swimming.

Jamesbo, glad you made it thru relatively unscathed.

Clint, hope you succeed! Hope you're saying that for dramatic effect and it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

Y'all have a great one, Olds pals.
Old June 27th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Hot, hot here I love it. Humidity was never one of my favorite things, but I'd take that over snow any day.

John I thought you were quoting from a CCR song. I haven't washed a car in months. Maybe that's what I'll spend my days off doing, just washing cars. At some point I need to go up to the airport and retrieve my van. Not sure how I'm going to do that just yet.

Jamesbo you're a good egg. Probably being nice at funerals helped at the wedding. LBJ is always good for a quote. One time there were several helicopters on the White House lawn, and LBJ started out for the wrong one. His aid said sir, that one's not yours. LBJ said son, they're all mine.

Clint keep the shiny side up. Or, if you're flying a Delta airplane with the old livery, keep the shiny side down.

Wanted to get you guys' opinion. The new Cutlass needs new tires. I want to get 225/70/14 but they are only available in a limited amount of raised white letters, no whitewalls. I had RWLs on my other 4 door and it looked kind of mean. That was with baby moons. This car has full deluxe covers. Should I do the RWLs with the full covers or paint up the SSII wheels that are on the wagon? To that end should I paint them body color(Aspen Green) or grey like real SSII's? Here's what it looks like now.

Okay time for my Friday. I keep thinking I want to work some overtime but I'm guessing I won't. Not long ago I ridded (is that a word) my house of everything Delta. I didn't want to be inundated with work when I was off. So why the heck do I want to go in on my day off? Because the money is outstanding. There are some things more important than money. Like my sanity.

Here I go. Have a good evening everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; June 27th, 2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old June 27th, 2016, 10:35 PM

Mike, you should be able to get a white wall in a Hankook Optimo H724.
Old June 28th, 2016, 04:09 AM

Mawn'in all

Still no rain but spose to get sum today. I hope so

Mike, Dat's a nice look'in Cuttlas Ya need to get cha a ladder [or tower] and take a group pic of your fleet

Welp GTG

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 28th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin, all... spose to be a wet one, but that's OK, as it will hopefully quench the flames of ol' Sol a bit. Picking up Better Half from airport today, so that's my big event of the day.

I had gotten the big floor-standing press from Harbor recently and tried to assemble it last week; but alas, the package had burst in transort and a few vital parts had escape-ted somewhere along the way. Off course, they don't "service" the missing parts. So I'm probably going to have to somehow put the whole thing back in the burst packaging and get it back to them. At least they will pay freight, which will be no small amount since the thing weighs around 70 lbs. Always some ap-cray.

Mike, I was kinda' quoting Bad Moon Rising. I think when I was 13, I really did think those were the words! But I was doing so as a little joke response to Jamesbo's "Gladly the Cross Eyed Bear."

Whelpt, it's house cleaning day -- whether it needs it or not! ;-)

Y'all have a great one, Olds friends.
Old June 28th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Challenging night at work. I learned a few things so that's not bad. There was weather between here and the west, where both planes were coming from, so they were both late. The lead knew this but made a big deal about it being my Friday so I could go when I was done. Hm. Walked out after 5. The guy's a snake.

John hope Better Half had a good trip. I need to get up that way.

John I don't think Hankook makes a whitewall. When I was a kid I worked at a used car lot and a guy would come in with a machine that would cut a groove in the sidewall and he'd "paint" the groove white. Looked good until the first time I washed the car, all the paint washed off.

Jamesbo I could be my own car club.

Well it's the first day off and I slept longer than I wanted to. Got to get something done. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old June 28th, 2016, 08:46 PM

Mike, Hankook does make a whitewall in the size that you need, I looked it up on their site,
Hankook Optimo H724
Old June 29th, 2016, 03:05 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Thought I'd get the worm this morning. Slept through most of my TV watching last night, went to bed around 11 and was wide awake at 3. Finally decided at 5 to get up. Sheesh. This midnight shift sure does a number on a guy.

Dan I saw that the H725 comes in my size but no mention of a whitewall. I'm going to have to go into the tire store. Buying tires used to be fun. Now it's a pain because the tire companies want everyone's cars to look like hoopties.

Have to decide what I want to do today. This of course after Awful house. I might even catch the tail end of midnight shift. Have a good Hump everyone.
Old June 29th, 2016, 03:12 AM

Good morning all.

Another day another rain shower. I wonder when summer will turn up here.

Inline. Good to hear that the Finnish public are awake to the rubbish coming out of the EU. Perhaps you need to ask your government if you guys can have a referendum. I'm sure other countries will follow our lead then we can have an economic but not a political union.

Drove the Cutlass for a couple of hours yesterday and she decided that she'd enough of the glass on the door mirror, I watched it wobble then go flying down the road. Another job to add to my list.

Hope you all have a safe week.
Old June 29th, 2016, 03:57 AM
CQR

Mornin,

London, Bummer about the mirror, I've broken so many mirrors, I can't remember how long I'm gonna have bad luck anymore.

Mike, I'll try to remember to look up that size through my distributor and see what the options are.

John, I'll be alright I suppose. Just in a funk again.

Well it was hot and humid yesterday. but during chores, it blew in and hailed pretty good. I haven't looked at the gauge yet to see how much we got, but I'd guess close to an inch.

Have a Humpday all.
Old June 29th, 2016, 04:04 AM

Mawn'in all

Greetings from de mountains

Woke up and it was 61. Exactly 20 degrees cooler than Hotlanta

John ya need to evacuate de swamp and head fer de hills

Gonna lay around, do nothing then rest

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old June 29th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all... Lookin' like more wet stuff for today. Had about 2" yessa-day; took the freshly washed Fusion to South Shore to pick up Better Half from her "Mom in Peoria" trip, so the cleanliness didn't last long (officially, 0 miles). But it still looks better than it did before. MIL is still doing amazingly well for 91, praise the Lord; still driving, etc. If she could hear, she'd be practically perfect.

Jamesbo, trip to the hills is in the works for July. But at least the wet stuff is keeping our temps here down; that's why I welcome days like yesterday & today.

Hang in there Clint. I'm pullin' fer ya'...

Mike, sounds like you have a complicated decision for tires/wheels/covers for the SuperCutlass. So all the rubber you're considering are radials, right? I still have a couple 8.55 x 14 Silvertown's I'm trying to unload on Craigslist. I had bought them for the SF, but decided that if I "re-tire," I'll prolly just go with modern radial whitewalls; I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. At the rate I drive it, they'll be dry-rotten way before they're worn out. Reminds me when I got my '73 Delta Royale 455 in '76 (only 40 years ago!) the cheapskate dealer had put a beautiful (cheap) set of bias ply tires on it. I think I got maybe 6-7k miles out of 'em. Looked like my poor deceased grandfather's head after that time. (Or Elton John's before the expensive plugs.) The other end of the spectrum is that I'm only on my second set (including factory tires) of Goodyear Long Trail T/As on my Y2K F-150, and there are over 100k miles on the truck. (Yes, they still have tread....) These are goin' on 9 y.o., so I'm monitoring closely for dry rot.

In the "Depressing News Department": Besides the Istanbul Airport story, we have this local story (originating from Kenner, LA, where I was yesterday to p/u Better Half). I wish I could see a light at the end of the crime tunnel. As an aside, in 2009 when I was at Southeastern U, the husband of a lady I worked with owned the Mandeville (LA) franchise of Raising Cane's. I personally have never partaken of their goods, but they have a fab reputation for quality and flavor. My middle brother (the employed one) swoons for their store-made lemonade. Really sad that good, solid, productive citizens are so targeted. And this is after the Jefferson Parish sheriff's officer was shot & killed a little over a week ago.

OK, 'nuffa'da' depressin' news. Y'all have a great Humpity, Olds amigos.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 29th, 2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old June 29th, 2016, 08:06 AM

Morning, we dropped down to 59° last night, a bit of a cool down, highs only in the 70's for a couple of days, we were hitting the upper eighties last weekend. Mike, the Optimo H724 (not H725) is available with a white wall, I found it online at two places, and another member here at CO put them on his '62 88 last year. So, if you go to a local tire store be persistent in that they can be had with whitewalls.
Old June 29th, 2016, 08:18 AM
CQR

Mike, I only show 3 tires in that size. The Grand am Radial in white outline letter, the optimo H725 in a black serrated sidewall, and the Cooper Cobra raised white letter.
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Clint. I have also found Hercules in my size with white letters, and BFG Radial TAs. The TAs are the most expensive. I had Grand Am tires on my 92 Silverado when I bought it. They were such good tires when they wore out I bought another set.

Got the Cadillac bled and back on all fours. Now to take it for a ride and see how I did. I'm not sure I got all the air out of the lines, the pedal seems a little mushy but it does anyway, so we'll see.

Here is the real Assman. I choose not to run.

Last edited by slantflat; June 29th, 2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Captain Starfire

Passing car driver: "Yo, Assman! Look at the Assman!"

Estelle: Did he say "Assman"?

Kramer: Oh, yeah.

Estelle: Oh my goodness.

Another passing car driver: "Hey, the Assman's in town!"

Kramer: You got that straight!

Kramer:
Have you ever *met* a proctologist? Well, they usually have a very good sense of humor. You meet a proctologist at a party, don't walk away.

*Plant* yourself there, because you will hear the funniest stories you've ever heard.

See, no one wants to admit to them that they *stuck* something up there. Never! It's always an accident.

Every proctologist story ends in the same way: "It was a million to one shot, Doc. Million to one."

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 29th, 2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:40 AM

They were the perfect couple, He was a proctologist and she was a pain in the a$$
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:47 AM

Hey Mike
The Hercules HP4000 is in the size you want and they look great if you colour your wheels in the body colour.
It's what I have on mine. I know they are available as I bought one a couple of weeks back. In the UK they work out at about £80 each but God knows what that is in dollars. It seems to change every five minutes.

Last edited by LondonCutlass; June 29th, 2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old June 29th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Always room for one more

London that's about $107 for us. Cheeper than BFGs by about $32. I looked in your picture album and saw bigger pictures of your car. It looks great. What are the front seats out of?

My plan is to hit the junkyard tomorrow. I should be able to collect a set of Cutlass wheels throughout the place, maybe that 80s 4 door will still be there. It had Cutlass wheels that were beautiful. I hope they haven't gone to the crusher already. I know the center caps will be different between the 80s and 70, but I don't care. That way I don't have to find something to put on the wagon to liberate its wheels.

Beautiful evening out. Gonna go do some yardwork until it gets dark. I love, love it being light so late in the evening. We should change time every month so it's always light at 9pm.

Yes, Mr. Bevelaqua.
Old June 29th, 2016, 09:58 PM

Mike, the front seats on my car are from a Volvo C70, so much better than the original seats and really comfortable.
Old June 30th, 2016, 03:47 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Have a day all.
Old June 30th, 2016, 04:18 AM

Mawn'in

Anutter beautimus day in de cool mountain air

Had a Key Lime pound cake last nite fer desert-double-yum

Clint, Ya sound like you're busier dan a one arm paper hanger. Hang in there my friend. Ya gotta make hay while de sun shines Unless of course ya got lights on your tractor

Maybe gonna take "Das Boat" out fer a spin. We were eating lunch at a marina yesterday and Allan Jackson's help was gassing up one of his beautiful old wooden Chris Crafts.

So, I might see him out on de lake today. He's got a couple of real beauties, And de help to keep them looking good. IMHO they are a PITA

Welp GTG

Old June 30th, 2016, 08:03 AM

Just a quick visit.
Pretty tired this week, even weve had no day+night shifts.

Anyways, now to sauna with beer. Catch ya tomorrow.

Have a nice friday everyone!
Old June 30th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Hm, finally got through. The site has been acting funny on this end, pages not loading, that sort of thing. At first I blamed it on Windows 10, like I do everything else, but the other things I look at were acting normal.

Went to the junkyard this morning. Finally found a left headlight bezel for the blue van. It needs to be cleaned up and painted and then the front end will finally be complete, after a couple years anyway. Also there was a Dodge van with some nice parts, I'm going back next week to check it out closer. That Cutlass was there that I was talking about but its wheels were long gone. No other Cutlass vehicles in the yard. I'd say 90% + are front drivers and less than 15 years old. A shame cars don't last like they should.

Jamesbo we have Key Lime cookies on the airplane. They are okay but I wouldn't eat a lot of them. They should just stick to chocolate.

So I log in and in the pictures up top is the picture of Kramer's car. So it says ASSMAN and right under it Slantflat. Nice. The first picture I have that gets put up there and I call myself Assman. Well, I could be Wilt Chamberlain.

So I guess I'll do something on this nice day. Work tomorrow. June is over which means the year is half over. Already.

Have a good day everyone.
Old June 30th, 2016, 09:20 PM

Hmm, not too active today/tonight. Well, I'll go through "Today's Posts" and see what's up.
Old July 1st, 2016, 04:01 AM
CQR

Mornin.

Mike we've lost so many yards around here its really depressing. LKQ has come in and just about ruined the entire used part experience.

Jamesbo, Busy/ in the dog house/ you name it I'm afflicted with it.

Got some rain last night. On my own at the shop today. My guy is off turning left in Dodge city this weekend. The missus is working the retail store today Tomorrow and Tuesday.

Have a Friday.
Old July 1st, 2016, 04:41 AM

Clint, I spend so much time in de dog house, I decided to install a wet bar and cable

Old July 1st, 2016, 07:48 AM

Clint, I didn't know that LKQ was a national business, I'm guessing that they buy local yards and dispose of any vehicles that aren't high profit, like our vintage cars, and focus on later model years for profit. Gonna make a dish to pass to take to my niece's place tomorrow, 90 miles north in the toolies. I will hit a small car show on the 4th. Have a good 4th of July weekend everyone...and don't blow your selves up, ya know, like a couple of NFL types did last year.

Last edited by 1969w3155; July 1st, 2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old July 1st, 2016, 07:49 AM
Captain Starfire

Hotwun in da' sauna today.

Big trip to Costo & Trader Joe's yesterday set us back hundreds. That'll learn me to go w/ Better Half. But ya' gotta eat. I think Sam's is cheaper than Costo, but Costo stuff seems a tad better. When Costco first opened in B.R., their people seemed a cut above the Sam's warm bodies running around the store. But now, the Costo folks are throwing my groceries around during checkout the same as Sam Walton's finest.

I've stopped them numerous times and told them not to throw my groceries -- for which we pay thru the nose. But I get this look like I'm Adolf Hitler. They are completely clueless, and resume the behavior the second I step away from the counter.

So, I'm more or less defeated. Unless I see something being broken or in-fact damaged, I bite my tongue and keep it pleasant. This is just the world we live in -- which not the world in which I was a cashier at Winn Dixie some 40-something years ago. Back then, my manager would have fired me on the spot for such a brutal assault on a customer's groceries.

But to get to pleasantries, I feel much better today than I have in a while. No trace of the dreaded BPPV -- although I'm still sleeping "propped up." I don't like it, but it's a small price for not having to consult with the medical profession per se this go-round.

Jamesbo, why not get a 220V feed and install central air?

One more "unpleasantry": Gene, my 88-y-o buddy near Traverse City with the antique cars, fell during the night recently and suffered quite a setback in his rehabbing from double knee-replacement last year. This puts our August trip to St. Joe into question. Nothing broken, but he spent 6 hours lying on the floor that night. Poor guy couldn't get up -- and he lives by himself. Turns out he severely sprained a wrist and one of his convalescing knees, not to mention exacerbating a mild heart ailment.

"The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men
Gang aft agley.”

Y'all have a great 4th weekend, Olds buddies.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 1st, 2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:38 AM

Good evening everyone. Off from work, off from sauna.
Was pretty active today, did all kind of yardworks after works until sauna was ready ( wifey heated it for me after she came home). We have an whole week(!) of summer-vacation at week 32. Were either going to visit Holland or Austria/ Switzerland with a car, since my wifey happens to have one week of her vacation at week 32, too. Actually, since we know our vacations so late, they let my wifey to wait until i know when my vacation is. Tells something about how do they value her at work.

Also did new rear-licenceplate holder, its way better than old one.
Wonderful, how little things, like receiving new sidemarker connector from post today, and installing it makes you so happy. Its just an sidemarker, but it made me really happy to see it once again shining bright red. Even its illegal here..

Bee-Oh-Pee : Sorry to hear about your friend. By the way, what is that 4th weekend your speaking off What is LKG?

slantflat: Im really jealous about your speaks off that kind of junkyards. I should sometimes fly to USA and just spend whole trip visiting various junkyards and sending parts i want to local shippers.

Good weekend for everyone.