Stripe color

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2018, 06:23 AM

Stripe color

Hi,
I just purchased a 1970 Olds 442 W-30 to restore. I have figured out most of the code but still had a question if anyone knows
its ST70 34487LAN360103 78(burgundy Mist) B (black Vinyl) TR 930 (bucket seats) 01D (4th week of Jan)

What I can't figure out is if their is a way to know what the other paint color on the hood or strips might have been? The one
I bought it from is the 2nd owner. They repainted it all black in like 1979. He can't remember if the hood strips were white or black
when it was Burgundy. I assume the build sheet would say that but have not found it. I don't think the fisher tag tells you that.

Anyone know?
Old September 23rd, 2018, 08:24 AM

Stripe color

Hi,
I just purchased a 1970 Olds 442 W-30 to restore. I have figured out most of the code but still had a question if anyone knows
its ST70 34487LAN360103 78(burgundy Mist) B (black Vinyl) TR 930 (bucket seats) 01D (4th week of Jan)

What I can't figure out is if their is a way to know what the other paint color on the hood or strips might have been? The one
I bought it from is the 2nd owner. They repainted it all black in like 1979. He can't remember if the hood strips were white or black
when it was Burgundy. I assume the build sheet would say that but have not found it. I don't think the fisher tag tells you that.

Anyone know?
Old September 23rd, 2018, 09:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

I moved your question to it's own thread because you really aren't asking about rare options, which was the topic of that original thread.

To answer your question, no, there is no way to know the original stripe color without a build sheet. The SPECS booklet recommends that with Burgundy Mist, the stripes should be Black, Gold, Red, or White. Typically Olds suggested that the stripe color match the vinyl top color when one was ordered, so I'd suspect your car had black stripes, but there is no way to know.

Old September 23rd, 2018, 09:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll add that it is neither necessary nor in your own best interest to keep posting the same question in multiple sub-forums. You'll get a more accurate answer if all responses are kept in the same thread. This lets people catch and correct any incorrect info that might get posted.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 11:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by L-team
when it was Burgundy
Your best bet (assuming you are going to paint it again, is to sand down through the layers on the hood or side and see if you can find the original color paint.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:03 PM

Yeah that was my thought too since someone already told me without the build sheet you can't really know for sure. On the plus side, without the sheet all that I really "need" to do for authenticity is paint it Burgundy with the black vinyl top to match the fisher tag. In the eyes of any judges/future buyers it could have been black just as easy as it could have been white so it will probably come down more to if you like the color or not and I like the black strips more with Burgundy so......unless we find the sheet when ripping apart the rest of the car I will likely go black strips. I prefer to keep it as original as possible but if I have an option and can't document it I think I go black
Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Chances are almost 100% that you won't find a build sheet in a Lansing car.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:17 PM

I have heard that. Apparently many of them there were not put in which is a bummer:/
Old September 23rd, 2018, 02:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You might find the Fisher broadcast card in the car somewhere. I found 3 in my Lansing car. 2 were under the carpet and one under the rear seat.
Old September 24th, 2018, 09:46 AM

fyi

If your car sold new in Canada you can get docs that will show all the options on the car including the stripes color.
Old September 24th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

True, but the chances are highly unlikely.
Old September 24th, 2018, 10:22 AM

The only Fisher tag I know of is the one under the hood in front of the driver. You found more tags? I did not know they placed more
in. the cars. I assume there is no new info though and that they would all be the same?
Old September 24th, 2018, 11:29 AM

docs

Originally Posted by Allan R
True, but the chances are highly unlikely.

and do do we know where all-team is from and where the car is and where it sold new?

what proof of W machine heritage were you given when you purchased the car?

Old September 24th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by L-team
The only Fisher tag I know of is the one under the hood in front of the driver. You found more tags? I did not know they placed more
in. the cars. I assume there is no new info though and that they would all be the same?
Not more tags. The Broadcast card was left by the Fisher Body Works plant that built the shell and interior of the car. It looks like this. See the W30 in box 9?

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
and do do we know where all-team is from and where the car is and where it sold new?
Relax Dave, I was suggesting it's not too likely given the number of W30's produced and distribution. It would be nice if it turned out like you suggested, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old September 24th, 2018, 11:58 AM

I thought the broadcast card and build sheet was the same thing just different terminology. No?
Old September 24th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No, not the same thing. Broadcast card was a Fisher Body works card for determining what model of car, paint color, options etc. The Build sheet is what the Final Assembly Line (different from Fisher) would use to finish building the car.
Here's an example of one for a 442:

Of course there is one more way to determine your car is a 442 W30. IF it had the original window sticker or Bill of Sale. Window Sticker would look similar to this:
Old September 24th, 2018, 12:15 PM

Got it. Then I have seen many broadcast cards others have and thought those were build sheets. Okay, then I have a little more hope in finding one of those when it's fully broken down. No time and have not gotten around to it. Based on everything else engine-wise I can know it's a W-30 but I hope to find some official documentation. Icing on the cake if it's there. Thanks for the info!
Old September 24th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So where are you located and where was the car bought?
Old September 24th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

BTW, that window sticker I posted is not an original. It says that on the side, and one giveaway? The factory is stated as Fremont which produced 442's but only Lansing produced the 442 W30. Just wanted to clarify that.
Old September 24th, 2018, 12:27 PM

Bought in KY. I am in WI. The owners dad was in bad health for 10+ years and the car was in his garage that long not driven. He died early this year and the son had it. He drove it in high school a bit in the late 70's after his dad bought it from the original owner. His dad was a mechanic and painted it all black in 79 but you can see a little of the original Burgundy in the door. Solid car. No dents, surface rust but no rot. Original interior which is good enough to not restore but needs a good cleaning so I will have to pull it back to look for a broadcast card. I only looked under the seats for the build sheet but it is all original under the hood just needs a full restoration. Original radiator, alternator, Quadrajet, F headers, etc etc. If it's not a W-30 its a dang good forgery with a lot of dust on it
Old September 24th, 2018, 01:25 PM

would the broadcast card show what color the hood strips were or would that only be the build sheet. Lots of details on that for sure
Old September 24th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good question. These build sheets changed over time. What was in one box one year might not be the same the next. Here is an example of the build sheet showing where the stripe color would be on a 72 442 (Box 79). Wish I could be more helpful. BTW, this was from a local car. Ted (owner) found it on top of his fuel tank.
Old September 28th, 2018, 04:34 AM

On a 70 build sheet, box 44 would show the body color, the top color and the stripe color. I posted two build sheet pics below for reference. Both are from 70 442 convertibles. The first was built in Fremont CA and shows color code 26 Viking Blue for the body color, A for white convertible top and DBK for stripes. I'm not 100% certain on what DBK is but I am assuming black. I used white stripes on the car when I restores t (see avatar)

The second one is my current project. This one was built in Linden, NJ. This build sheet shows color code 48 Sherwood Green for the body, A for white convertible top and 55 for stripes. Again, I'm not 100% certain on the stripe color but since 55 is the code for Galleon Gold. I'm assuming that is what it is. This is kind of a strange car - dark green, white top, saddle brown interior and gold stripes? In fact, it's very difficult to read but the bottom entry om the last column of the option list seems to call out some kind of Y something something code for the color combination. I have yet to find an explanation of this code.

As noted by others, your chances of finding a build sheet in a Lansing car are exactly zero. I am not aware of anyone on this forum who has ever seen one despite much debate. The broadcast card, while incredibly valuable in proving the car is a real W30 will not give you color information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170716_155153_resized.jpg (1.33 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_3626.JPG (2.40 MB, 16 views)