Color Combo Options 69 442

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2014, 07:01 AM

Color Combo Options 69 442

I was wondering if someone on the CO boards has any image resources of all factory color combos for the 69 442? I realize there are probably alot of variations but, deciding on a paint color is tricky if trying to stick to a factory combo.

I have seen the original paint card from PPG but, thinking I want to add stripes to the car and dont know what color stripes were all optionable in 1969. Assuming black and white are pretty standard.

Thanks
Sean

BTW: the car in question is factory Saffron with black hood stripes and black vinyl top. I will be keeping the car hardtop going forward (no vinyl)
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:06 AM

my opinion

Get rid of the vinyl but keep the mouldings & paint the roof a complimentary color. Factory two tone cars look awesome when done right.

With Saffron black or white stripes will look good. I have also seen red & green stripes.
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:13 AM

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I am kind of steering toward silver with black stripes or blue with white or crimson and white stripes.

Not a real fan of the factory Saffron to be honest.

Sean
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:17 AM

my experience

Originally Posted by Boilerz25
Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I am kind of steering toward silver with black stripes or blue with white or crimson and white stripes.

Not a real fan of the factory Saffron to be honest.

Sean

Be different. Stay saffron! There are tons of blue cars.

If you want a color change I had an Antique Pewter 1969 442 & with black interior & stripes the car looked awesome.
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Be different. Stay saffron! There are tons of blue cars.

If you want a color change I had an Antique Pewter 1969 442 & with black interior & stripes the car looked awesome.
Pewter is definately on the list, I was also thinking of Aztec Gold which is a far less common.

Sean
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:28 AM

Colors

You can see my Pewter & Aztec Gold cars here. The Pewter car is no longer in my collection but I sure miss it. Can't keep them all....

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ls-wanted.html
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Trying to remember member

I was wondering if someone on the CO boards has any image resources of all factory color combos for the 69 442? I realize there are probably alot of variations but, deciding on a paint color is tricky if trying to stick to a factory combo.

I have seen the original paint card from PPG but, thinking I want to add stripes to the car and dont know what color stripes were all optionable in 1969. Assuming black and white are pretty standard.

Thanks
Sean

BTW: the car in question is factory Saffron with black hood stripes and black vinyl top. I will be keeping the car hardtop going forward (no vinyl)
Answering your original question, does anyone have the resources, the answer is yes. *You* do. All at Wild About Cars

The SPECS booklet has the color combo show.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

The assembly manual has all the paint numbers.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

A couple notes:
1. The combos shown are "recommended". Any available color *could* have been ordered, but that was pretty unusual.
2. By '69, the stripe colors were basic colors and were *not* necessarily one if the body color colors. In other words, the blue stripe was *not* the same as any of the blue body colors.
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:30 AM

I always liked the saffron yellow myself but I understand that not many seem to. I also like either a vinyl or painted roof on lighter colored cars but not on darker ones. I really like Nassau Blue with a white vinyl or painted roof. My '69 race car I'm building is going to be GM Silver Birch (same as my '06 GMC) with a black vinyl top.
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:03 AM

The painted roof (different color than body) versus vinyl is a new concept to me. Does anyone have any good pictures to reference?
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:26 AM

Here are a few:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
5tz80y.jpg (275.4 KB, 90 views)
100_4835.jpg (81.9 KB, 86 views)
688a_12.jpg (38.1 KB, 80 views)
1968Chevelle502Blue_psrr.jpg (168.5 KB, 77 views)
r87d5w.jpg (107.6 KB, 90 views)
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:39 AM

The Black with Gold is pretty sick. Thanks for the photos
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

The painted roof (different color than body) versus vinyl is a new concept to me. Does anyone have any good pictures to reference?
Check out defiant 1 profile....great example of a painted roof, while keeping the original roof trim
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Keep it Saffron!
Old February 20th, 2014, 06:41 AM

If you want to be different, go with Nugget Gold as it was a special order color for 69 A bodies. I seriously doubt you'll see many in that color. Color code on the cowl tag would be 03.

You can see this color in this thread on a 69 442 conv that had this color.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...n-project.html

Brian
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by 69442C
If you want to be different, go with Nugget Gold as it was a special order color for 69 A bodies. I seriously doubt you'll see many in that color. Color code on the cowl tag would be 03.

You can see this color in this thread on a 69 442 conv that had this color.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...n-project.html

Brian
Brian,

The looks great in that color, good choice. You mentioned the color code on the cowl tag, question I have and I am wondering if people actually reproduce the cowl tags to match the current color? I know there are companies that reprint tags but, it would seem to be dishonest to do so. What do you think about updating a cowl tag to match the present color?

Sean
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:07 AM

Brian,

The looks great in that color, good choice. You mentioned the color code on the cowl tag, question I have and I am wondering if people actually reproduce the cowl tags to match the current color? I know there are companies that reprint tags but, it would seem to be dishonest to do so. What do you think about updating a cowl tag to match the present color?

Sean
There are companies that will reproduce a cowl tag but they will only make it to match the original factory tag. Changing information on a tag is definitely frowned upon and is also considered fraud. I wouldn't worry about what the code reads. Paint the car what you want and if you stay with a color that was offered in 69 then all the better for those who would worry about it. The Nugget gold has a lot of metallic in it and it really looks cool in the sun. Aside from the convertible I restored which had this as the original color, I have only seen 1 other one. I doubt many 69 Cutlass/442's were ordered with this special color option gold paint.

Brian
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by 69442C
There are companies that will reproduce a cowl tag but they will only make it to match the original factory tag. Changing information on a tag is definitely frowned upon and is also considered fraud. I wouldn't worry about what the code reads. Paint the car what you want and if you stay with a color that was offered in 69 then all the better for those who would worry about it. The Nugget gold has a lot of metallic in it and it really looks cool in the sun. Aside from the convertible I restored which had this as the original color, I have only seen 1 other one. I doubt many 69 Cutlass/442's were ordered with this special color option gold paint.

Brian
I am glad you agree that changing a cowl tag is frowned upon as well. I kind of like the story that goes with the car in describing the as-produced color versus the current. The gold sure is a nice choice. While we are on the subject, what did you pay to get the car painted? I just want to know how many organs I need to sell.

Thanks
Sean
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:20 AM

I painted the car myself and it is a base/clear system.
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Trying to remember member

I am glad you agree that changing a cowl tag is frowned upon as well. I kind of like the story that goes with the car in describing the as-produced color versus the current. The gold sure is a nice choice. While we are on the subject, what did you pay to get the car painted? I just want to know how many organs I need to sell.

Thanks
Sean
Please, Sean, perish the thought of changing the cowl tag. There is one reason and one reason only to change numbers: FRAUD. I've heard every possible argument for it and not a one holds water.
There is far too much corruption out there already.

As far as color selection goes? My favorite color is "Original".
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
With Saffron black or white stripes will look good. I have also seen red & green stripes.
There wasn't a green stripe in 1969. Per Kurt's link, it's white, black, gold, blue, and red - the same as for 1970.

I'm a fan of Saffron, but I see not everyone is. For a factory recommendation, gold was a recommended stripe for Saffron, which would pop. Red is not, but yellow/red would be wild.

If you just want to get away from Saffron, you still have plenty of choices to play with. I'm a fan of red trim, so white with red painted top and red stripes would be kinda cool to me.
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:15 AM

My two cents

I've been following the restoration of your 442. Nice work. Its good to see another 442 saved. My 69 442 was originally optioned exactly like yours, saffron yellow with a black vinyl top and a black interior. The only difference is mine was built in Lansing.

This is just my opinion, but as for painting the car saffron again, don't. I had lots of people tell me the same things they've been telling you. That yellow was different from all the red and blue 442's at car shows or that it was a great color for the lines of the car etc.

So, when I did the first restoration almost 20 years ago, I painted it saffron again minus the vinyl top because I never liked them and it had caused some rust in the roof.

The problem with saffron in my opinion is it looks...weak. Its the kind of color my Grandmother had on her 4 door Delta 88. Oldsmobile's don't get enough respect as performance cars as it is. A 442 in that color doesn't help change that misconception much.

Needless to say, several years ago, I tore my 442 apart again to correct some of the flaws from the first restoration and to improve the level of the workmanship. I've learned quite a few better ways to do things in 20 years. When I paint it this time, it will NOT be saffron. I guarantee it.

Just my two cents. Thanks.
Old May 17th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Kevin,

I have still not decided on a color for the car. While part of me wants to keep it as built from the factory vinyl top and all. The other side is "build like I want it" and for that I am considering possibly the silver body with the top painted black and retaining the trim as others have suggested. The problem with the Saffron color is that it is a bit of faded color to begin with so it is hard to have it "pop". The good thing is I am months away from having to decide. Will keep you all posted.

Sean
Old May 17th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Kevin's442
........The problem with saffron in my opinion is it looks...weak. Its the kind of color my Grandmother had on her 4 door Delta 88. Oldsmobile's don't get enough respect as performance cars as it is. A 442 in that color doesn't help change that misconception much..
And the gloves come off..I'm sure that'll ruffle some feathers.

I like the Nugget Gold suggestion - it's a gorgeous color and commands looks. BTW, the 69 vert that Brian mentioned lives in TX now - that's all I can say about its location. You won't forget it if you happen to see it on the road. You might even end up watching it instead of the road....
Old May 17th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Gary

Sean

If you go out to any of the car shows you will see a lot of different custom colors on some of the cars and that might give you an idea as well. I was out at the car show at Ellington Air Force Base today and there were some really unique colors on some of those cars. You mention on Joe31 post that you plan on coming to the event next weekend at Bear Creek Park and you can get some ideas on some color combinations. When I did my 72 I had no idea what color I wanted, when I went to Scott Day Paint I was talking with the owner (Peggy) and she made a suggestion to paint it the original color and that is what I did. The color is Bambo. Now the 68 for sure won't be the color it is because its white and I don't particular care for white cars. Just my preference.

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; May 17th, 2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old May 17th, 2014, 05:48 PM

Black with red stripes is sharp and Silver w/black. I went with trophy blue and black stripes.
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:57 PM

Saffron is a great color especially when it is fresh...mine is still original paint and I wouldn't change a thing...the second pic was taken after many hours of hand rubbing this sweetheart...

good luck on your color selection...
Attached Images
DSCF5060.jpg (125.9 KB, 48 views)
DSCF5055.jpg (65.4 KB, 53 views)
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:23 PM

I love Saffron, But i think the 67 Vette Sunfire Yellow has just a little more pop to it you might check it out. Very little difference though
Old May 17th, 2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by 69442murph
Saffron is a great color especially when it is fresh...mine is still original paint and I wouldn't change a thing...the second pic was taken after many hours of hand rubbing this sweetheart...

Car looks great!
Old May 18th, 2014, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by 69442murph

That picture of yours with no vinyl top nor the trim and the black patches on the hood would definately make up my mind for me.