General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Selling Prices Deleted

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Question Selling Prices Deleted

Why do some part sellers on this site delete the asking price after the item is sold?
Old September 8th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Olds Fever

I have always been curious about that myself... It would be good to know what some parts are selling for...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; September 8th, 2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old September 8th, 2018, 02:56 PM

Me too>
Old September 8th, 2018, 05:03 PM

It's the The Carny Code!
Old September 9th, 2018, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Ask the people who delete them. We prefer they remain.
Old September 10th, 2018, 07:31 PM

My guess is as follows;

People use prior sales data (such as in real estate “comps”) to aid in determining a fair price to pay for an item in the present time. This price history has an “anchoring effect”.

Example: Rare part XYZ appears for-sale. Researching prior sales data, two have been sold in the past 4 years. One XYZ sold 4 years ago for $1500, the other sold 2 years ago for $1700. The current one for sale is $2600. You brain will automatically focus on the price increase (+$200 in 2 years) in prior sales and compare that to the price increase of the current item +$900. You now believe the current offering price is too high AND you will put a mental financial limit on what you are will to pay for the current item based on the prior sales data. By eliminating prior sales data, the potential buyer has no base line or anchor to work from, possibly benefiting the seller in price negotiations.
Old September 10th, 2018, 10:42 PM

I think in many cases they have multiple or same or similar items and will only refer/quote their last sale price in defense of their current asking price if it benefits them otherwise no one else can see what they sold the last ones for and they can ask more.
Old September 11th, 2018, 06:44 AM

Turnpike is right. People have lost their sense of decency. Used to be, buy a part, tack on a modest profit margin, then pass savings onto the buyer and keep stuff sane. Now it's buy out all known examples of something, then charge 10x more to sell than what you paid.

Quit making your business out of my hobby. Shitheels.
Old September 11th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Not everybody in this business is a ***** although there are many. If somebody goes to swap meets and takes the time to dig through piles and bins of old dirty parts and then inventories them for no telling how long, they are entitled to a decent profit. A willing buyer and a willing seller determine market price. Nobody makes another person buy their part. I know there are folks who are in it just for the money and could give a damn if somebody finishes their car. I think there are more folks who are satisfied with a reasonable profit and enjoy the commoroderie of the hobby. If some of these people didn't take the time to go and dig these parts up, they would never be available to most people. This is just my 2 cents on it.
Old September 11th, 2018, 08:36 AM

Where its gotten out of hand are as an example W30 or say 31 specific items like nos W-31 emblems. I heard what the last set sold for and for me there's no way I would pay half that much. 7040255/ 256/ 258 carbs. Crazy money when your talking $2,500-$3,500 a piece for a legit one. Part of this is supply and demand no doubt...but when you buy a car your going to restore you better factor that in for these key missing parts.
Old September 11th, 2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
... It would be good to know what some parts are selling for...
Exactly

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
It's the The Carny Code!
Not sure I know what the "Carny Code" is but it made me laugh!

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Ask the people who delete them. We prefer they remain.
OK sellers, please chime in and enlighten us.

Originally Posted by Turnpike
My guess is as follows;

People use prior sales data (such as in real estate “comps”) to aid in determining a fair price to pay for an item in the present time. This price history has an “anchoring effect”.

Example: Rare part XYZ appears for-sale. Researching prior sales data, two have been sold in the past 4 years. One XYZ sold 4 years ago for $1500, the other sold 2 years ago for $1700. The current one for sale is $2600. You brain will automatically focus on the price increase (+$200 in 2 years) in prior sales and compare that to the price increase of the current item +$900. You now believe the current offering price is too high AND you will put a mental financial limit on what you are will to pay for the current item based on the prior sales data. By eliminating prior sales data, the potential buyer has no base line or anchor to work from, possibly benefiting the seller in price negotiations.
Interesting take on this. Thanks for the response.

Originally Posted by OldsAl
I think in many cases they have multiple or same or similar items and will only refer/quote their last sale price in defense of their current asking price if it benefits them otherwise no one else can see what they sold the last ones for and they can ask more.
Another interesting take.

Originally Posted by Koda
Turnpike is right. People have lost their sense of decency. Used to be, buy a part, tack on a modest profit margin, then pass savings onto the buyer and keep stuff sane. Now it's buy out all known examples of something, then charge 10x more to sell than what you paid.

Quit making your business out of my hobby. Shitheels.
KODA, you really need to just say what's on your mind. Holding in your feelings is not healthy....lol

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Not everybody in this business is a ***** although there are many. If somebody goes to swap meets and takes the time to dig through piles and bins of old dirty parts and then inventories them for no telling how long, they are entitled to a decent profit. A willing buyer and a willing seller determine market price. Nobody makes another person buy their part. I know there are folks who are in it just for the money and could give a damn if somebody finishes their car. I think there are more folks who are satisfied with a reasonable profit and enjoy the commoroderie of the hobby. If some of these people didn't take the time to go and dig these parts up, they would never be available to most people. This is just my 2 cents on it.
I agree with this as it's stated BUT, I personally witnessed vendors at this year's Nationals, buy an item at a fair price from another vendor, then slap a price 2-3 times higher on that same item then what they paid. I know it's a free market but it still doesn't sit right with me. I will say that the vendors that pick and haul all their inventory around from show to show are critical to the existence of this hobby. It amazes me that they have the time and energy to do it. Some probably make a good income doing this but I would think it's done for the passion of the hobby.

Originally Posted by OldsAl
Where its gotten out of hand are as an example W30 or say 31 specific items like nos W-31 emblems. I heard what the last set sold for and for me there's no way I would pay half that much. 7040255/ 256/ 258 carbs. Crazy money when your talking $2,500-$3,500 a piece for a legit one. Part of this is supply and demand no doubt...but when you buy a car your going to restore you better factor that in for these key missing parts.
As much as I would like to have a totally factory correct car, it's prices like this that make me OK with having a driver that still looks pretty close to factory....( At least to non-Olds people. lol)
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:14 AM
delete

Why do people block their license plate when posting a pic of their car? Some questions will never be answered.
Old September 11th, 2018, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
Exactly

Not sure I know what the "Carny Code" is but it made me laugh!

OK sellers, please chime in and enlighten us.

Interesting take on this. Thanks for the response.

Another interesting take.

KODA, you really need to just say what's on your mind. Holding in your feelings is not healthy....lol

I agree with this as it's stated BUT, I personally witnessed vendors at this year's Nationals, buy an item at a fair price from another vendor, then slap a price 2-3 times higher on that same item then what they paid. I know it's a free market but it still doesn't sit right with me. I will say that the vendors that pick and haul all their inventory around from show to show are critical to the existence of this hobby. It amazes me that they have the time and energy to do it. Some probably make a good income doing this but I would think it's done for the passion of the hobby.

As much as I would like to have a totally factory correct car, it's prices like this that make me OK with having a driver that still looks pretty close to factory....( At least to non-Olds people. lol)

It was just for a laugh. So it did it's Job.
Old September 11th, 2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Why do people block their license plate when posting a pic of their car? Some questions will never be answered.
It's fairly easy to get a License plate number and get an address. Then of course the next step would be steal the car.
Old September 11th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It's fairly easy to get a License plate number and get an address. Then of course the next step would be steal the car.
And what do they do when they drive the car?
Old September 11th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Gary

True, but then you should be cautious about driving your car. People could see your license number. It's all in how many degrees of carefulness make sense to a person.

If a state permits, I register the car to a P.O. Box address. That's my way of being careful.
Old September 11th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by droptopron
This just got me to thinkin'... Why do my buddies always talk about their wives putting out more on paydays?
Let me tell ya', They don't even own an Olds! Yeah, some other questions that will never be answered.

I asked my buddy Jack, who is up on the kitchen counter again .... but he remained silent !
Old September 11th, 2018, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
And what do they do when they drive the car?

I'm just pointing out the obvious answer to the question that was asked. Like the car that was just highlighted on here a few weeks back that was stolen. They stole the damn engine and parts and left the car. Who knows what a thief is up to. For me I always put an Olds plate or H/O Plate over my Car's tag at Car shows. Can't stop someone from taking pictures but you never know about some people and there motives. . I'm actually just trying to save there life, cause If I catch someone in my Garage stealing either of my cars there off to the promise land.

Last edited by GoodOldsGuyDougie; September 11th, 2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old September 12th, 2018, 06:05 AM
delete

If the Russians get your plate number, who knows what they could do with it!

I drove around all day every day with my plate number showing. I'm not going to sweat that.