How's this for price expectations?

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2012, 04:23 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...%3AMESELX%3AIT
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:08 AM

I'm not sure what you're getting at. It looks perfectly straightforward to me. He started the auction at $4,000 and has one bid for that amount. Since he has no reserve, the car is sold. I actually like that because it doesn't waste time with bids not meeting reserve and the car going unsold. The $4,000 asking price seems reasonable for that car.
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:21 AM

-

my guess is the original poster is the guy selling it..
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:26 AM

Good catch. I hadn't noticed that the OP and the car are both in Maine.
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Good luck with the sale! Starting point seems fair, in my opinion.
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM

is it just me or does it have 70 front fenders on it. hard to tell in the pic but I cant see the dimple on the inner lip.
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:49 PM

Were you referring to the available up to $50,000 price protection?
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
is it just me or does it have 70 front fenders on it
I think it's you. I see only two.
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

is it just me or does it have 70 front fenders on it. hard to tell in the pic but I cant see the dimple on the inner lip.
I blew up the picture (It blowed up real good in redneck terms) and you're right. Both fender ridges are flat. Did you also notice that the spare is an old 2 stripe ww bias ply and the inner door panel mirror escutcheon is missing? Looks like an overall nice car though. It is the lower end Cutlass by VIN.

This would be an excellent car to use as a clone..
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I think it's you. I see only two.
OK you got me on that one. guess I should skip the 10 martini lunches next time.
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Yes sorry, I should have clarified. This is my vehicle, I previously posted and asked about a good selling price but only had one picture so I wanted to try again with more pictures
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by jrmandryck
so I wanted to try again
I think your trying again has paid off. You have no reserve, and the car has bids. It's all but sold.
Old April 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM
delete

Critics will bash anything but there is more to like about that car than not like. Good luck with the sale. Hopefully it goes to a good home.
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by droptopron
Critics will bash anything but there is more to like about that car than not like. Good luck with the sale. Hopefully it goes to a good home.
In general I agree. My comments however were not bashing, just stating facts. I was surprised to see a vintage tire as a spare, noted the 1970 fenders because they are actually worth a lot of money and can easily be replaced with after market 71/72 ones. The missing mirror escutcheon is re-popped and easily available for small $. Its a nicely presented car with no hype attached.

One thing I would point out that might add significantly to the value is this car appears to be a 2 tone. Not very many of them were produced like that. Usually it was matching upper/lower body color or a vinyl roof. This car has a distinctive but subtle look. I looked up the 71 two tone combos and couldn't find this one, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be special ordered that way.
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM

You can't go by that. I have two 71's with obviously original fenders, and neither have the bumps.
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by frankr442
You can't go by that. I have two 71's with obviously original fenders, and neither have the bumps.
True enough. If your car was early 71 production Olds would continue to use up existing stock until the newer crumple ridge fenders became standard supply. The 70 style fenders on 71 cars is well known for early 71 production. What month was your car built? Guessing July/Aug/Sept of 70?
Old April 27th, 2012, 03:07 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Seems real low in my opinion. You couldn't replace it for $4,200.
Old April 27th, 2012, 03:44 PM

Nice car, very reasonable price. Good luck with the sale. Whoever the new owner will be, they should be happy.
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:03 PM
L69

Nice car and the price seems fair, considering its a column shift car. Good luck.
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:38 PM

The price seems to be more than fair to me. If true, no rust and good body, it must be worth at least $7000 if not more. I guess the market will dictate the price.
Old April 28th, 2012, 06:03 AM

What month was your car built? Guessing July/Aug/Sept of 70?[/QUOTE]

I'm embarressed that I can't rattle that off to you, and I've had the car for almost 25 years. Probably could have told you 20 years ago. I'll try to get to the garage and check the plates on the 442 and the SX (parts car) this weekend.
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks guys, ill check on the build when I get home. I'm hoping to get at least $5500 for it but we shall see how it ends up in 4 days
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
True enough. If your car was early 71 production Olds would continue to use up existing stock until the newer crumple ridge fenders became standard supply. The 70 style fenders on 71 cars is well known for early 71 production. What month was your car built? Guessing July/Aug/Sept of 70?
The cowl plate on the 442 reads:
71 34487 G 19169 (stamped 3 above the 6)
932 49 49
01C
which I think means 3rd week January in Framingham MA.
Also stamped on the LH rear frame rail is:
HAYES
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:36 AM

I ran out of room on the reply box.
The 71 SX reads:
71 34257 G 44942
972 42G
03C

Third week March Framingham MA
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:43 AM

With production starting in August or so of the previous year, I would say that a March build date is not at all early in the model year.

I'm curious about your running out of room in the reply box. I've never had that problem, and heaven knows I'm long-winded enough at times. The content of the box just scrolls up above the top of the box and disappears from view as you continue to type. You can see everything by just using the scroll bar on the right side of the box. It pops up the moment your reply exceeds its size.
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:46 AM

I'm hoping to get at least $5500 for it but we shall see how it ends up in 4 days
I see that with about a day and a half left now, you've actually lost a bid. The price was at $4,250 or something like that, but now it's back down to $4,000. Am I remembering correctly? Did the other bidder back out or get disqualified by ebay or something?
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:38 AM
eds

Bid cancellation described in comments.
Looks like a lot of car for that price.
Good luck on the sale.
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by eds
Bid cancellation described in comments.
If you ask me, his reason for wanting to cancel the bid sounds like a bunch of horse Q!#$@. I'm guessing he just got cold feet and wanted out of the deal. Whatever the reason, there's no point in not doing what he asks. You'd have nothing but problems trying to collect from him if he did end up winning.
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:04 PM
72 Olds CS

If you ask me, his reason for wanting to cancel the bid sounds like a bunch of horse Q!#$@..

I know you can live in the car and chances of hooking up w another woman in that kind of squalor are almost nil so it would appear to be a win win for the bidder ????
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:36 PM

cool car seem like good price so far - isn't that a 70 radiator too? no angle to the filler neck - some valuable parts and a neat color combo. would definitely be a fun/great car to own
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:08 AM

Yea I am assuming the back out was a load of BS, but it worked out ok so far the bid is back up to 4250, but I was really hoping to see north of 5K on it
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:46 AM

so far the bid is back up to 4250, but I was really hoping to see north of 5K on it
Well, that's the chance you take with ebay. Your car is only up for auction for the 1-week or whatever time window. If the two guys who really want a car like yours and who would bid against each other and bid up the price nicely don't happen to be looking for a car this week, you're out of luck. It takes only one bidder to sell something, but it takes TWO of them to get the price up.

That's why you either set the starting price at the minimum you'll take for it, which you apparently did, or put a reserve on it. The bottom line, is the car IS sold, so you have the cash and the free space and are no longer worrying about it.

Yes, you might have been able to get $5K or or more for it, but that might have required numerous relistings on ebay and/or advertising it locally for who knows how long. There's positives and negatives no matter which way you do it.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:25 AM

Yea, I wouldnt have gone below 4 and ended up at 4550, now just need the zero feedback buyer to actually pay
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:58 AM

now just need the zero feedback buyer to actually pay
I understand your fear, but you have to remember that people with 1000 feedback ratings didn't get those ratings by buying cars. They got them by buying lots of little things. Few people who buy only big ticket items or who might sign up on ebay for the sole purpose of going after a car are going to have a long feedback history or even any feedback history at all.

But it wouldn't be a whole lot different if you sold the car privately or tried to sell it at a local auction. You'd still be at the mercy of the financial health and stability as well as honesty of the buyer.

If you're at all lucky, the sale will go through just fine. Everyone who uses ebay was new at some point.
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:08 AM

And he didn't pay or respond to my messages
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:50 AM

Good catch. I hadn't noticed that the OP and the car are both in Maine.
That Cutlass is four hours north of me.
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:39 AM

That's unfortunate. I see you've listed it again, and this time with a buy-it-now. I presume the previous high bidder is now persona non grata on ebay, or at least is blocked from bidding on any of your auctions.

Remember, the world is full of jerks.
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:09 AM
"me somebody" site member

That sucks. And its EXACTLY why I wouldn't bother to list the car I'm currently looking to sell on Ebay. All too often this happens to a car I'm tracking on Ebay, or to someone I know who's selling their car, and even once to me. Never again.

Of course, you put the car in Hemmings or classiccartraderonline.com and you'll be sure to get a lot of calls from people who want to "help" you sell your car. And an assortment of tire tickers, photo hunters and other rejects.

The Internet opens up a world of possibilities, good and bad when it comes to buying OR selling a car. There's something to be said for local advertisements, word of mouth and driving around with a for sale sign in the window.

Good luck.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; May 5th, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:36 PM

I got a call from a classic dealer in Tennessee who is sending me a cashier's check Monday. If he is legit and the check clears great, if not I'll probably just keep the car
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hope it works for you. If the checks good, look for that car to be advertised in TN for more $$$ and maybe some interesting credentials. Then again, who knows? Some folks are just darn good at flipping cars as a business and making a buck. Don't get buyers remorse once the check clears - the $$ will be the amount you were happy to sell for. What someone else does is their business.

Quick Reply: How's this for price expectations?