General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cutlass Fiberglass 442 Hood Question !

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2018, 10:41 PM

Angry Cutlass Fiberglass 442 Hood Question !

Hello Fellow Old people I have a 1972 Cutlass (not a 442), and purchased a 442 hood and had it installed while I got it painted. I believe the hinges were done improperly and the hood shuts too low and isn't flush as seen in the pictures (red circle). I was wondering if there's a way I can make it flush again by maybe getting longer adjustment screws so it sits higher or any other ideas you guys had in mind. Thanks in advance!!!

Side question: If my convertible top switch isn't working (it's like stuck and wont press down, only up to close the top), does this mean I need a new switch ??
Attached Images
Old August 21st, 2018, 05:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Benji Breh
Hello Fellow Old people I have a 1972 Cutlass (not a 442), and purchased a 442 hood and had it installed while I got it painted. I believe the hinges were done improperly and the hood shuts too low and isn't flush as seen in the pictures (red circle). I was wondering if there's a way I can make it flush again by maybe getting longer adjustment screws so it sits higher or any other ideas you guys had in mind. Thanks in advance!!!

Side question: If my convertible top switch isn't working (it's like stuck and wont press down, only up to close the top), does this mean I need a new switch ??
There are adjustable bumpers under the leading edge of the hood that are designed to adjust exactly that fitment.

And yes, I'll be the stickler for correctness and point out that what you have is not a "442 hood". In 1972 442s came with a hood that looked like this:

The hood you have is a reproduction of the optional outside air induction hood, and it was available even on your Cutlass under RPO W-25. Good luck with the car.