General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

tire age

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2018, 09:14 AM

tire age

How old are your tires and when to replace them?
Old August 2nd, 2018, 11:07 AM

They say 8 years, I go 10, if I can. It really bothers me to buy new tires when mine are like new. I don't drive mime much, or long distance. But I have a trailer, and they look new, but I don't take a chance, on a trailer. I learned this the hard way. Years ago, when going to a Olds Nat in Seattle, I blew a tire, scratched the side of my car, $2500 damage, and had to buy new tire before I came home. In the long run, I cost me a hole lot more than new tires. Also the last pair of BF T/A, were twenty years old, looked great on the outside, no cracks, and good thread. When taken off, I looked at them, and the inside were all bubbled.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 11:31 AM

10 years maximum, less if the storage is less than ideal.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 11:34 AM

I have Goodrich TA,s where do I find the date code, picture please.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 12:27 PM

All tires have it on the side wall. Different company, mark them a little different, but it is all in numbers. Google them and find out how to read the T/As.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 12:38 PM

My Goodyear SRS tires on my '77 Cutlass are dated 1992. They are in great shape with lots of tread left but............. I am concerned about separation on the highway. Cheaper to replace tires than straighten a car frame. I hear 6 years is about it. This afternoon I am getting them changed out to Hankooks I ordered from WalMart.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 01:04 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Check out this thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ese-tires.html

A lot of good information from a few months ago.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by gglow
How old are your tires and when to replace them?
I know it's time to replace them when they look like this:

Old August 2nd, 2018, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Kenneth, you still have 10's of miles left on those. On a side note, I just bought an 07 Mustang GT with only 7800 miles on it and original tires that of course look like new. I'll probably change them Labor Day weekend if there are some good sales.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 03:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Eric?
Did you not see the wear bars? That's the legal requirement to change them

Old August 2nd, 2018, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Allan R
Eric?
Did you not see the wear bars? That's the legal requirement to change them
Apparently you did not understand the "10's of miles" comment.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 05:23 PM
Lansing built

15 years and more like 14 is when I bite the bullet.

Pat
Old August 2nd, 2018, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Kenneth, you still have 10's of miles left on those.
With that amount of wear they actually start gripping better on clean, dry pavement. Almost like slicks.
Luckily it doesn't rain around here or I'd be in trouble.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 09:25 AM

My radial T/A's have been on my Cutlass since 2004.......tread is getting pretty minimal but they look cosmetically new. My car only sees the sun at shows.......other than that its in the garage. Because of the treadwear I'm getting new tires for next season, but I'm interested to see if there's any internal bubbling
Old August 3rd, 2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by DJS70cutlass
My radial T/A's have been on my Cutlass since 2004.......tread is getting pretty minimal but they look cosmetically new. My car only sees the sun at shows.......other than that its in the garage. Because of the treadwear I'm getting new tires for next season, but I'm interested to see if there's any internal bubbling
I bet there will not be... IF there is ever a problem it is usually a separation issue. As long as the tire is in good condition and not been in the sun and abused then I don't worry about them. I am running on a set of tire on my 4 speed Jetfire that were bought in 1985. These tires were always garage kept and the car on jack stands when not used. Not a weather crack to be found anywhere and the rubber is still nice. This subject comes up about one time a year.

Edit, the tires on my 4 speed Jetfire are from our automatic car, Not the tires from the "barn find" pictures of our 4 speed car that can be found, lol
Old August 3rd, 2018, 10:49 AM

The tires on my 71 98 are about 8 years old. I suppose I should replace them but they definitely still look new on the outside.

When I bought my 64 98 one of the tires blew out when I was on the test drive. I still bought it though.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I bet there will not be... IF there is ever a problem it is usually a separation issue. As long as the tire is in good condition and not been in the sun and abused then I don't worry about them. I am running on a set of tire on my 4 speed Jetfire that were bought in 1985. These tires were always garage kept and the car on jack stands when not used. Not a weather crack to be found anywhere and the rubber is still nice. This subject comes up about one time a year.

Edit, the tires on my 4 speed Jetfire are from our automatic car, Not the tires from the "barn find" pictures of our 4 speed car that can be found, lol
Make sure your insurance is up to date...something tells me you'll need it.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:01 AM
delete

When I bought my car in 2016 the off brand RWL tires (Turbo Plus) looked great but were stamped 2002. Off they came. I take my family in the car. I'm not chancing it.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:17 AM
Jeff

I supposed I better get new shoes for my '64, that haven't been changed in the 20 years that I've owned it...

Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:27 AM

I pulled 16 year old BFG Radial TAs off my Monte Carlo this summer before the power tour. I kept the two dismounted ones (I have 6 wheels and kept two mounted as spares.)

They had 21,000 miles. The tread was good. There was no cracks. The inside looked good. Around the whitewalls the rubber was a little more matte than glossy, and I
blame that on whitewall cleaner and a wire brush. I think I will use a softer brush to whitewall clean on the new ones. I put 4 new ones on 2 of the rims that had the original BFGs and two that had 30 year old Michelins (and tossed the Michelins.)
Old August 3rd, 2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
IF there is ever a problem it is usually a separation issue.
I can attest to this. I had an old set of BFG TAs on my car and they started to get some slight cracks on the sidewall shoulder, but other than that seemed OK and I didn't have any issues driving around town. I got on the highway and within 3 miles a section of tread separated from the tire. The tire still held air but was missing about a 12" section of tread.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 12:21 PM

As I mentioned above, I did not trust my 26 year old tires on the highway. just changed to Hankooks yesterday. Very happy and more relaxed now. Nice smooth ride. By the way, how long would you run engine belt? I bet most people would not wait very long if they had any doubt. I just put a new set because I had no idea how old they were. The alt. belt was losing some outer material in a couple of spots. I know there is a big difference in cost between the two but both can do some real damage if there was failure.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 01:19 PM
Administrator

For belts, I run them until they start to fray. I also carry a spare old belt in the trunk for emergencies. Both my belts are the same length.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 01:46 PM

Like I have posted before, Some companies recap tires that are more than 10 years old. Sure, they go through major testing but still, If age only was that devastating there would be DOT restrictions. I have had old tires blow out on old junkers on back roads but I knew those tires were junk. Sure, if you don't know and unsure, just replace them.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 02:54 PM
Administrator

I questioned how they can retread tire cores over and over for many years vs the 6 year recommendation on passenger car tires when all this hoopla started with the Explorer debacle.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
For belts, I run them until they start to fray. I also carry a spare old belt in the trunk for emergencies. Both my belts are the same length.
My 4 speed Jetfire still has the original 1962 belt on it (and plug wires). It is hard as a rock but still works great. Don't think I would take that car on a long trip with it, lol.