General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Door Buzzer

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2018, 03:38 AM

Door Buzzer

As is the case with some problems, you do not realize that they are even there until someone else notices them.

My door buzzer (I have no idea what the real name for it is) is a case in point. The other day a friend of mine who has never been in my cutlass before noticed it. The buzzer goes when you open the driver's side door (as it should). But it also goes even if the keys are not in the ignition. I had never paid it any mind before. I just disconnected the battery if I was doing interior work.

Once he mentioned it though, it got me thinking. Is the buzzer supposed to go off even if the keys are not in the ignition? Ideas anyone?
Old July 23rd, 2018, 03:55 AM

My buzzer won't go on with the keys out of the ignition but my engine sometimes still runs after I take my keys out of the ignition.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Destructor
My buzzer won't go on with the keys out of the ignition but my engine sometimes still runs after I take my keys out of the ignition.
Sounds like your problem is worse than mine. Sorry.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 05:12 AM

Yep, there is a little brass "dealy" that is somehow in the key hole that is actuated by the key. ( I have seen it but can't remember exactly how it was). Mine is starting to stick also so sometimes the buzzer is on when door is open but key is out. I can stick the key back in and pull back out and it will stop, usually... I think you could spray some carb cleaner, followed by wd40 and maybe that would work, or maybe yours is messed up- bent or something. I'll bet you can find a pic of it in your shop manual. Good luck- that buzzer is iritating!!
Old July 23rd, 2018, 05:17 AM

I disconnected the pink wire with the black stripe from the horn relay so mine wont go off. However, mine only worked as it should.....with the key in the ignition and the door open.

Last edited by Will22; July 23rd, 2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 05:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The buzzer is not supposed to function with the key out of the ignition. You can either disconnect the pink/black wire as stated above, or chase down the problem in the circuit. Use the electrical schematic in the back of your CSM.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I will look into it.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 06:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
The buzzer is not supposed to function with the key out of the ignition.

^^^THIS! It's not a "door buzzer", it's a "you left the key in the ignition" buzzer. Having it go off when the key was NOT in the ignition sort of defeats the purpose...

The contacts that activate the buzzer are in the steering column, above the lock cylinder. You have to pull the steering wheel, lock plate, and turn signal switch to get to it. Apparently it has shorted internally.

Old July 23rd, 2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Yep, there is a little brass "dealy" that is somehow in the key hole that is actuated by the key. ( I have seen it but can't remember exactly how it was). Mine is starting to stick also so sometimes the buzzer is on when door is open but key is out. I can stick the key back in and pull back out and it will stop, usually... I think you could spray some carb cleaner, followed by wd40 and maybe that would work, or maybe yours is messed up- bent or something. I'll bet you can find a pic of it in your shop manual. Good luck- that buzzer is iritating!!
Old July 23rd, 2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers

i wouldnt use carb cleaner, if you get any on the dash or plastic lenses It’s almost certain to damage the finish. Get some electrical contact cleaner, and then gollow with some graphite spray.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Electrical contact cleaner is the right solvent to use, but I doubt that simply squirting it in the key slot will do much, given the location of the contacts.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 09:36 AM

Thanks again everyone. I think that I will try Joe's suggestion first, and then go from there.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 10:35 AM

Consider percussive maintenance. Wrap the steering column in a towel and rap it with a rubber mallet with a decent tap or two. Spring loaded contacts might jar loose.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 11:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
Consider percussive maintenance.

Oh, I'll definitely be using that term in the future.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 11:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Falls right in the wheel house as BFH
Old July 23rd, 2018, 11:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Falls right in the wheel house as BFH

That was my first thought also, but I think this is more in the realm of fine adjustment hammer.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 11:35 AM

Hey, I just took that "little dealy" out of a friends W car last week because it wouldn't stop buzzing and the retainer clip that is supposed to be holding that little assembly was missing. We just left the whole thing out, question is, where can that whole deal be purchased along with the retainer clip?
Old July 23rd, 2018, 11:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hammerdrop
where can that whole deal be purchased along with the retainer clip?

They fit Chevelles, so you can buy them pretty much everywhere. Type gm key buzzer switch into Google. Personally, I'd leave it out.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 11:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Just for clarification ---