General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Trunk Wires Question/ Remote opener??

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Trunk Wires Question/ Remote opener??

Hi all,

Going over my newly acquired 72 Delta 88. Came across these two wires in the trunk. They look like they should connect to each other, the connectors would mate. But they don't reach each other. They are on the left & right sides of the trunk latch.

Anyone know off hand what these are for? I was thinking maybe they are for an electric trunk popper. Assuming the harnesses are the same for the big model cars.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Old May 6th, 2018, 07:30 PM

If the Delts are anything like the Cutlasses, the wiring for the trunk opener would be in the trunk lid itself, not on the trunk floor. Without a wiring diagram in front of me, my best guess is that you have one wire for the backup lights and one for the license plate light here, or something very similar to those.
Old May 7th, 2018, 05:37 AM

Check and see if the one coming out of the base is looped around the harness. Also, check voltage with test lamp on each with lights on and lights off. I think that's the tag light.
Old May 7th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Rodney

Back-up & Tag lights?

I don't have a wiring diagram for Delta, but the Cutlass diagram I have shows Green for the back-up lights and Brown for the license plate light. Check to see if those lights are connected and/or working correctly. Could be the pigtails that come into the trunk from the rear bumper are missing or damaged. GOod luck!

Rodney
Old May 7th, 2018, 12:12 PM

Brown wires are also used for the gas gauge sending unit. Definitely not power trunk wires.
Old May 7th, 2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
If the Delts are anything like the Cutlasses, the wiring for the trunk opener would be in the trunk lid itself, not on the trunk floor.
Correct. I had a '75 Delta, and I have a '78 Toronado, both of which have electric trunk release. The mechanism and wiring are in the trunk lid, not by the latch. Also, the wiring for the electric trunk release is not installed unless the option is ordered, so the wiring is not present on every Delta.

The OP can probably answer his question by telling us what works on the car and what doesn't. Does the gas gauge work? Do the various lights (brake, tail, back-up, turn signal) work as they should? License plate lights work ok? I'm guessing that one of these doesn't work, and that's what these wires are for.