SI alternator in 72 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2018, 06:53 PM
Chris

SI alternator in 72 cutlass

hi! I know this thread was on here from severs years ago but I can't find it. If I decide to (and please tell me the pros and cons of doing this) how would I go about replacing my original alternator with external voltage regulator and a stock points/ condenser setup with a more modern SI internal regulator alternator? What and how would I reword? Is there any point to this?
thanks!
chris
Old May 2nd, 2018, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Its a pretty simple change. I don't see a reason to do it but this is how to rewire it. Others just replace the mechanical voltage regulator to a VR715 solid state voltage regulator.

Old May 2nd, 2018, 07:51 PM
Chris

Thank you. So you're saying that if I keep my current setup with the external regulator I can change the external regulator to Solis state?
Old May 2nd, 2018, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Yes
Old May 3rd, 2018, 03:45 AM
Chris

Ok. Much appreciated! Thank you
Old May 3rd, 2018, 06:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
Thank you. So you're saying that if I keep my current setup with the external regulator I can change the external regulator to Solis state?
Search for D9212S (the "S" is for solid state). It's a plug-in replacement for the mechanical regulator. About $25 from various on-line sources.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 11:52 AM
Chris

Do you all think using a new solid state voltage regulator would be better than using a 35,000 mile original that I know works? I saw in an older post some concerns about the new Chinese built solid state regulators.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Chris
Old May 3rd, 2018, 12:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Do you all think using a new solid state voltage regulator would be better than using a 35,000 mile original that I know works? I saw in an older post some concerns about the new Chinese built solid state regulators.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Chris
It was simply presented as an alternative to your question about swapping in a 12SI. If you have converted to an electronic ignition, the solid state regulator will provide "cleaner" power; the mechanical regulator can create voltage spikes when the contacts open and close that can take a toll on ignition modules. If you are happy with the current alternator and regulator, then carry on.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 12:34 PM

hi! I know this thread was on here from severs years ago but I can't find it. If I decide to (and please tell me the pros and cons of doing this) how would I go about replacing my original alternator with external voltage regulator and a stock points/ condenser setup with a more modern SI internal regulator alternator? What and how would I reword? Is there any point to this?
thanks!
chris
My biggest reason to switch was capacity. I got an SI rated around 100 amps, way more than the stock unit. I also added Mallory Unilte dist., FI Tech EFI, H4/H1 halogen headlights, etc... Easy swap, Eric's diagram puts the system voltage sense away from the alt, giving a solid 12v plus in the charging system.
Tim
Old May 3rd, 2018, 05:25 PM
Chris

Ok. I understand. So if I take my si to get tested they will be able to determine how many amps? I understand that if it was rebuilt then the case may not be accurate as to its amperes.
Thank you
chris
Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:31 PM

Ok. I understand. So if I take my si to get tested they will be able to determine how many amps? I understand that if it was rebuilt then the case may not be accurate as to its amperes.
Thank you
chris
The tester can load the unit and tell you max output. Generally I like to see voltage drop no lower than 12.5 to 12.75 at full load. Others may have a different voltage they like.
Tim
Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:36 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Try and find a GM 12si 94 amp alternator. I find the 10si chrome alternators all fail eventually. The only one that lasted anytime probably put out more like 70 or 80 amps. My current 94 amp 12si Wilson reman on my 88 CSC needs revved to start charging. I do like my 70 amp Chrome Summit 10 DN external regulator. The performance tag said 52 amps at idle and 81 amps at cruise. It has kept up no problem, even when I ran electric cooling fans.
Old May 5th, 2018, 02:27 PM

10si

The stock regulator in your 10SI, if it's a GM reg., is much better then aftermarkets. If it's still good go with it. I used to rebuild alternators for years, old Chrysler, big pain, but I've seen very few GM regulators fail. Most fail due to diodes. Especially cheap diodes. Hope this helps.
Old May 5th, 2018, 03:34 PM

On that 12SI. You should not have to rev it to get it to charge. It's losing it charge in the rotor. Try taking a small screw driver.At the rear housing, if I haven't forgot, should have a D hole. Take the small screw driver a stick in the hole and ground it to the rear housing for just a moment. That will excite the circuit and it will keep the charge in the rotor. One way to check if it's charged up is put the screw driver, on any piece of metal, to the rear housing bearing and see if it's magnetized. If it is, your alternator is ready to be used and you should not have to get to high rpm's for it to turn on. I hope this helps and it should solve your problem. If it doesn't then you have a leak somewhere in the alternator.

Last edited by Tootalu; May 5th, 2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old May 7th, 2018, 04:04 AM
Chris

Thank you so much everyone! This has been a huge help. I'm going to have these all tested this weekend and figure out which way to proceed.
Chris
Old December 22nd, 2021, 07:03 PM

I ordered D9212S regulator for my 64, exactly which 94 amp alternator do I need?
Old December 22nd, 2021, 07:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ART T
I ordered D9212S regulator for my 64, exactly which 94 amp alternator do I need?
First, this is a thread about a 1972 Cutlass, and second, it's about converting to a 12SI alternator, which has an internal regulator. What exactly are you asking? If you want to convert to a 12SI, you don't want an external regulator. Maybe you should start your own thread and give us the details about your particular car.
Old December 22nd, 2021, 07:16 PM

Then why were you bringing up the D9212S?