Throttle valve cable hook-up to carb linkage

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2018, 08:30 PM

Throttle valve cable hook-up to carb linkage

I've replaced my 2 speed Jetaway with a 200-R4 in 68 Cutlass with 350/4 barrel. My problem is connecting the TV cable to the carb linkage. Bought a universal TV cable bracket and modified it. Looks like it might work, but don't know how to connect the cable to the carb. Any help will be appreciated.
Old March 27th, 2018, 03:30 AM

TV arm conversion kit usable on 4m Olds Quadrajet

http://everyday-performance.com/tv_arm.htm
Old March 29th, 2018, 06:32 PM

If your using a Q-Jet in my opinion the best way to set up the TV cable is to use throttle linkage and brackets from a later model 307 engine. Grind off the dimpled area of the throttle shaft holding the linkage in place, swap on the later linkage to your carb, and weld it back in place. You just duplicated the factory setup. Ideally, you should check your pressures with a line pressure gauge. Shoot for around 90psi idling in year, the pressure should rise smoothly and immediately with throttle opening, and hopefully max out around 200-275ish depending on what valve body calibration.
Old March 30th, 2018, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
If your using a Q-Jet in my opinion the best way to set up the TV cable is to use throttle linkage and brackets from a later model 307 engine. Grind off the dimpled area of the throttle shaft holding the linkage in place, swap on the later linkage to your carb, and weld it back in place. You just duplicated the factory setup. Ideally, you should check your pressures with a line pressure gauge. Shoot for around 90psi idling in year, the pressure should rise smoothly and immediately with throttle opening, and hopefully max out around 200-275ish depending on what valve body calibration.
Using an E4MC quadrajet throttle arm from a 307 is a great option. Ive done it many times and it works great.

The only thing you lose is the OEM look of the original throttle arm from the earlier year quadrajet. The Everyday Performance LLC kit hides the TV arm behind the original throttle arm.

The design of the everyday performance llc kit was based on the exact geometry of a 1986 Olds 307 E4MC throttle arm, so the geometry is correct.

Also, you make an excellent point regarding pressure testing. Its the only way to be sure your TV cable is adjusted correctly.
Old March 30th, 2018, 05:57 AM
Rodney

200-4r TV cable set-up

X2 on Matt69olds advice. Techg8 has a good idea as well; pressure testing is good insurance, but it's not that difficult to set up the TV geometry. You just need full extension of the TV cable at full throttle and no slack at idle. There is really only 2 critical steps:
1. The cable needs to be tight but not extended at idle so the transmission can respond instantly to any changes in the throttle position.
2. The cable should be fully extended at full throttle. Make sure the Q-jet can reach full throttle, if the TV cable stops before the Q-jet reaches full throttle you can break the cable or limit your engine power. I measured the dimension between the bracket and the TV throttle post on an '88 Q-jet and it was exactly 5".

Here is a pic of the critical geometry for correct TV operation.

Here's a pic of the factory 307 Q-jet/TV bracket.

The throttle cable goes on top and the TV goes on the bottom.

Last edited by cdrod; March 30th, 2018 at 06:01 AM.