Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Parting out 1978 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Parting out 1978 Toronado

Hi All
Its been a busy summer and some days too hot to work outside in the afternoon. But I've got some parts cars that I need to finish dismantling and make go away. This thread is for the 1978 Toronado. I've listed some parts with prices, anything specific let me know and I'll post pictures here or through email or PM as requested.

Red dash pad $100
Door panels $50 & $75
Front bumper $75
Old August 19th, 2017, 05:08 PM

John, I don't remember, the interior of this car is red? I'm guessing that it is because you mention a red dash pad. What's the condition of the seat/shoulder belt system on both driver and passenger side?

If nothing else, I need the little pass-through clips that attach to the top of the headrest on each side (circled in yellow below). Even if they're not red, I'll take them if you have them as I can paint them.

Now here's the big question. If the interior is red and the entire front seat belt/shoulder belt system, passenger and driver side, is intact like the one shown in this photo, I'll take the whole thing.

In my car, the prior owner removed the shoulder belt from the seat belt buckle on both sides (he didn't cut it, fortunately, but rather he removed the stitches), and he removed the seat belt pass-through clips as well, so I have only seat belts in my car. I'd like to restore it to a fully functional seat/shoulder belt system, so if those in your car are red and intact and you can remove the retractor from the floor and the roof and the pass through clip on each side, I'll take everything.

Thanks!

Old August 19th, 2017, 05:22 PM

Why can't they make new cars interiors as comfortable as that looks?!?

It's my biggest pet peeve!
Old August 21st, 2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
John, I don't remember, the interior of this car is red? I'm guessing that it is because you mention a red dash pad. What's the condition of the seat/shoulder belt system on both driver and passenger side?

If nothing else, I need the little pass-through clips that attach to the top of the headrest on each side (circled in yellow below). Even if they're not red, I'll take them if you have them as I can paint them.

Now here's the big question. If the interior is red and the entire front seat belt/shoulder belt system, passenger and driver side, is intact like the one shown in this photo, I'll take the whole thing.

In my car, the prior owner removed the shoulder belt from the seat belt buckle on both sides (he didn't cut it, fortunately, but rather he removed the stitches), and he removed the seat belt pass-through clips as well, so I have only seat belts in my car. I'd like to restore it to a fully functional seat/shoulder belt system, so if those in your car are red and intact and you can remove the retractor from the floor and the roof and the pass through clip on each side, I'll take everything.

Thanks!

Are those seat covers? ...Over original leather or vinyl seats? Or is that the original setup? Looks so comfy.....Can you post a picture of the whole car as well from the outside? Thanks! Looks Good!

Old August 21st, 2017, 08:33 PM

That's not the car the OP is parting out. That's just a stock photo of the interior of a '78 Toro I found online to use to highlight the part I'm looking for.

I'm sure the seats in the photo have the original upholstery on them. Standard on these cars was a velour material (shown) with leather as an option. These personal luxury cars were meant to look opulent and give you the feeling of riding down the road on your living room couch.
Old August 21st, 2017, 08:42 PM

If you want to see photos of MY car (and who wouldn't!), go here:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...aint-shop.html

Mine has the leather upholstery. No photos of the interior are shown in the link above, so here's one. It is quite comfortable to sit in.

I know we're hijacking the OP's thread, so I'll stop after this posting.

Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:22 AM

Dashpad

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hi All
Its been a busy summer and some days too hot to work outside in the afternoon. But I've got some parts cars that I need to finish dismantling and make go away. This thread is for the 1978 Toronado. I've listed some parts with prices, anything specific let me know and I'll post pictures here or through email or PM as requested.

Red dash pad $100
Door panels $50 & $75
Front bumper $75
Hello, I would like to buy your dash pad. How much shipped to 18360j
Old August 22nd, 2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by bigdooly
Hello, I would like to buy your dash pad. How much shipped to 18360j
I'll have to make a box for it, but I estimated the size and weight to come up with shipping costs around $100. Let me know if that will work for you. I'm attaching several photos showing the pad and close-ups of the flaws. Let me know if you have any questions about any of the pictures. John

Old August 23rd, 2017, 09:53 AM

Das

[QUOTE=2blu442;1038363]I'll have to make a box for it, but I estimated the size and weight to come up with shipping costs around $100. Let me know if that will work for you. I'm attaching several photos showing the pad and close-ups of the flaws. Let me know if you have any questions about any of the pictures. John

[/QUOT
hi, sorry for delay, the reason I wanted it was for a car I was going to buy, but it got sold out from under me. Thanks anyway.
Old August 24th, 2017, 03:49 AM

78 Toro

PM Sent
Old August 29th, 2017, 06:40 PM

I need 1 window crank handle for my 69 442. You have any?
Old August 31st, 2017, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by My2nd 69 442
I need 1 window crank handle for my 69 442. You have any?
Hi Jerry
I probably do, but it would likely be next week before I have time to dig one out. If you don't find one before then send me a picture through PM or email of the one you have so I can match it. John
Old August 31st, 2017, 08:12 PM

I have found and purchased cranks from another member here.
Thanks for your reply
Jerry
Old November 19th, 2017, 04:00 PM

What kind of shape is the Steering Wheel in? $?
Old November 19th, 2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by cwripinz
What kind of shape is the Steering Wheel in? $?
I think its pretty nice. If you would send me your zip code I'll get a price including shipping for you. I'll need to dig it out and take pictures again, but here's a thread with photos when it was still in the car.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-3-2017-a.html
Old January 26th, 2018, 06:09 PM

I'm going to try and finish dismantling this car soon. The front clip looks good, rot in the trunk and rear quarters. Doors are good, power windows complete. The wiring harness looks good, I don't see any cut wires. I still have the dash pad. Let me put out a few prices, if you think of something not listed let me know. I can take pictures for you.

Doors, empty $100 each
Power windows $150 both doors
Fuse block and dash wiring harness, $75
Fenders $100 each
Front bumper $75
Grill $50
Radiator $50
Carb $50
Distributor $35
Alternator $35
Alternator Brackets $35
AC compressor $35
AC compressor brackets $35
Old January 26th, 2018, 07:18 PM

John, what are the wheels like? The ones I have are rusty. They work, the tires mount to them, and they hold air for the most part. The tire shop that mounted my new tires mentioned that the rims were rusty enough that they could have issues sealing. I've not had any problems serious enough that I couldn't continue to use them, but I'd be interested to know. Thanks.
Old January 26th, 2018, 08:00 PM

John, what are the wheels like? The ones I have are rusty. They work, the tires mount to them, and they hold air for the most part. The tire shop that mounted my new tires mentioned that the rims were rusty enough that they could have issues sealing. I've not had any problems serious enough that I couldn't continue to use them, but I'd be interested to know. Thanks.
I'm not sure their condition but I'll check, and get some pictures for you.

John
Old January 26th, 2018, 08:03 PM

Thanks!
Old January 27th, 2018, 03:33 PM

Thanks!
3 of the 4 tires were flat, one wheel still had a L78-15 tire on it. One tire has popped off the bead so I could check that area of the rim and it looks good, not rusty. But the outside of the wheel has pretty good rust on it and would need to be blasted and painted. I'm not sure if there's pitting in the metal or not. If it was me I wouldn't go to the trouble/expense of removing the tires and shipping these. Attached are a couple photos. If your unable to find something better closer I can get the dead tires removed to see how they look. John

Old January 27th, 2018, 04:15 PM

Thanks for taking the time to pull those wheels off, John. They're not any better than what I have, and the tire shop did tell me that one option is to have them bead-blasted, which I'll probably end up doing if necessary. You're right, it would not be worth the cost of shipping them. Thanks again.
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:29 AM

Hi
Do you still have the odometer from the toro, I need the reset **** but am willing to buy the whole odometer.
Thankyou
Bill
Old February 5th, 2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bill D
Hi
Do you still have the odometer from the toro, I need the reset **** but am willing to buy the whole odometer.
Thankyou
Bill
Bill, I've already sold the speedometer to another member here. But I've got a couple clocks. Does that **** look like the same as the odometer reset? I can snap some pictures if that would help. John
Old February 6th, 2018, 05:13 AM

Good morning John.
Could you please post a picture of the ***** that you have I don't know what the odo one looks like.
Also do you still have the stainless trim pieces that go over the roof separating the landau vinyl from the metal roof I also need the belting that the trim sits in.
In case you didn't get my email the door lock switch works great.
Thanks
Bill
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:19 AM

Good morning John.
Could you please post a picture of the ***** that you have I don't know what the odo one looks like.
Also do you still have the stainless trim pieces that go over the roof separating the landau vinyl from the metal roof I also need the belting that the trim sits in.
Thanks
Bill
Hi Bill
I'll get photos of the clock ****, hopefully one of the other members here can tell us if it looks correct for the odometer too. Had you asked me about the vinyl top trim before? I did pull it, the stainless is good but the pot metal pieces along the side have some bumps and I think one has missing studs. I'll get pictures of that for you too. John
Old February 6th, 2018, 09:20 AM

Hi John
I have not asked you about the trim but am interested in it especially the vinyl that sits under the trim.
Bill
Old February 7th, 2018, 12:36 PM

...I don't know what the odo one looks like.
Bill,

I did some looking on eBay and Craigslist for cars with the trip odometer option. There were also a few with close ups of the clock. I'm not sure if the ***** are the same, or not. I apologize to everyone for the size of the photos, but in this case, I believe bigger is better to try to see the details.

Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THESE PHOTOS OR PARTS. THESE ARE NOT PARTS I HAVE FOR SALE. THESE ARE NOT PICTURES OF 2BLU442's CAR. FOR REFERENCE ONLY

Hope this helps!
Old February 7th, 2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 77toronado
I apologize to everyone for the size of the photos
You can crop them!

To my eye, the clock **** looks so similar to the odometer **** that, if they aren't actually the same, and assuming each can be screwed onto the other's shaft, no one in a million years would know the difference. And the beauty is that, while the trip odometer was an option, the electric digital clock was standard in the 1974 through 1978 Toronados, so every one of them started out in life with one, and any of them could be a donor.

Old February 7th, 2018, 01:34 PM

You can crop them!
That would take, like, three minutes or something. We don't have time for that around here!
Old February 7th, 2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 77toronado
That would take, like, three minutes or something.
2:45, to be exact.
Old February 7th, 2018, 08:48 PM

Good morning John.
Thanks
Bill
Hi Bill, I know I have two of these clocks but wasn't able to locate either of them today. Still looking. The vinyl top trim, there was someone else who contacted me first. His email was acting up and didn't get my message but it looks like he wants the trim. Sorry, I feel he contacted me first and we just had a hiccup in our communications. Let me know if you think of anything else you could use. I'll keep digging for a clock with the hope the **** will work. John
Old February 8th, 2018, 06:02 AM

Hi John
That's fair, if he doesn't take it let me know please. Is he taking the vinyl belting from under the trim? if not I will take it. I would like to buy the clock if you have it, the **** is identical to the odometer ****.
Thanks
Bill
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:22 AM

Just as an FYI, if John can't help you with the clock, there has been a Toronado digital clock on ebay for a while now. Priced very reasonably at $29 plus $7 shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DASH-CLOCK-...haXZKj&vxp=mtr

Old February 8th, 2018, 05:54 PM

Bill, here's one. The **** would need sanded and painted to look good. It has surface rust on it. I could send you the whole clock or just the ****. Since your in Canada I could compare shipping costs between the two then let you decide. Check out the pictures and let me know if this would work for you. John

Old February 8th, 2018, 05:59 PM

Hi John
That's fair, if he doesn't take it let me know please. Is he taking the vinyl belting from under the trim? if not I will take it. I would like to buy the clock if you have it, the **** is identical to the odometer ****.
Thanks
Bill
Hi Bill
He's needing the vinyl strip under the trim if that's the belting you were describing. John
Old February 9th, 2018, 05:12 AM

Hi John
I'll take the clock, do you have the cruise switch that sits just to the right of the light switch? if so I'll have that too. let me know how much you need for them.
Thanks
Bill
Old February 9th, 2018, 11:33 AM

Hi John
I'll take the clock, do you have the cruise switch that sits just to the right of the light switch? if so I'll have that too. let me know how much you need for them.
Thanks
Bill
PM sent
Old June 15th, 2020, 06:25 AM

Hello.
I need a 403 Toronado 78-77 fan shroud.
Also a instrument cluster with economy gauge.
Maybe a rear bumper in mint cond.
Thanks.
Vlad
Old June 15th, 2020, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad82
Hello.
Thanks.
Vlad
Hello Vlad
I've got the radiator shroud, but not the other items you need. I'll take some pictures and post here, if you want a price including shipping send me a PM or email with your shipping address.
John
Old June 16th, 2020, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad82
Hello.
Thanks.
Vlad
Here's one. The loop for the radiator hose is there but broken. I don't see any other damage on the part. I'm looking for a box to get the shipping costs, hope to have that located later today. Let me know if you want to see close-up pictures of anything or if you have any questions about it. John

Quick Reply: Parting out 1978 Toronado