General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

NOS GM thermometer

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2018, 01:28 PM

NOS GM thermometer

I've had this many years, and looking to get rid of it since it's not for an Olds. Can anyone help me identify what vehicles this went on? I've seen ones for GMC, so i assume this has to be for cars only?
Old January 7th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Indy Guy
I've had this many years, and looking to get rid of it since it's not for an Olds. Can anyone help me identify what vehicles this went on? I've seen ones for GMC, so i assume this has to be for cars only?
This is a dealer-installed option package for 1972-74 cars. It should have a template for all A, B, C, and E body cars in those years.
Old January 7th, 2018, 02:34 PM

The template is still sealed up in the plastic. But this could have went on any car... vett, camaro, chevelle, firebird? Thanks
Old January 7th, 2018, 02:40 PM

No, it would have gone on A, B, C and E bodies only.

A is Cutlass, Chevelle, arguably Monte Carlo, Skylark, Le Mans and GTO. Possibly Grand Prix
B is 88, Impala, whatever the medium Pontiac was, the medium Buick....Le Sabre?, and whatever the little Cadillac was.
C is 98, Caprice, Bonneville I think, whatever the Buick one was...Roadmaster?, and the big Cadilliac
E is Toronado and El Dorado, there may be a Buick one.

My knowledge is incomplete.

Camaros and firebirds are F body, I think, and the corvette is a J body, I think.
Old January 7th, 2018, 03:07 PM

Thank you for the information.
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:41 PM

i seem to remember some say 73-74 oldsmobile 98's with a thermometer like this but on the door mirror
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Camaros and firebirds are F body, I think, and the corvette is a J body, I think.
You just caused Corvette Peoples' heads to explode! The J body was the Chevy Cavalier/ Buick Skyhawk family. Corvette's are Y bodies.

You may want to check with member BeenThere on this board. I believe I've seen him selling these. I bought my mirror based version for my '77 Toronado from him.
Old January 9th, 2018, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the reminder! And I did message BeenThere.
Old January 9th, 2018, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 77toronado
You just caused Corvette Peoples' heads to explode! The J body was the Chevy Cavalier/ Buick Skyhawk family. Corvette's are Y bodies.

You may want to check with member BeenThere on this board. I believe I've seen him selling these. I bought my mirror based version for my '77 Toronado from him.

I stand corrected, sirrah. I will apologize to my old man's 71 next time I see it.
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I stand corrected, sirrah. I will apologize to my old man's 71 next time I see it.
Koda, I hope my reply didn't come off as jerky. It wasn't meant to be.

Unfortunately, after I bought our '73 Vette, I saw the particular kind of OCD and crazy that seems to afflict many Corvette owners. Some of those people are completely nuts! That's why I pictured people in the fetal position underneath their desk after reading the j body comment - it made me laugh.
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:31 AM

That's funny, as a guy who appreciates all that a vette offers (and most likely will never own one) I never even thought of what "body" a vette is (nor a cavalier for that matter).
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Ironically, the 1961-63 compacts (F-85, Skylark, Tempest) used the Y-body designation.
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

FYI, the RPO Y71 Indicator, Outside Temperature was available factory installed as a $15.00 option (in addition to being available as dealer-installed) starting with the 1972 model year.

Old January 10th, 2018, 12:00 PM

I was able to buy the correct Oldsmobile one for my 72 H/O from a dealership back in 2003, I paid $20.00! They still had it in stock, can you believe it?
Old January 10th, 2018, 01:17 PM

That is mind boggling.

All of the Oldsmobile dealers in my area closed up completely when Olds folded their tents. I mourned for the future needed nos parts with 3 inches of dust, stuck on an obscure back shelf, that I would never have a shot at at some point in the future.

Great deal, story, and good luck finding this one a new home.
Old January 10th, 2018, 02:41 PM

Koda, I hope my reply didn't come off as jerky. It wasn't meant to be.

Unfortunately, after I bought our '73 Vette, I saw the particular kind of OCD and crazy that seems to afflict many Corvette owners. Some of those people are completely nuts! That's why I pictured people in the fetal position underneath their desk after reading the j body comment - it made me laugh.

Nah, we're all good. My old man and I have a perspective on Corvettes different from the norm. He was a 26 year old dentist getting his first post in the Air Force and living with a bunch of pilots, so he bought that corvette and a motorcycle on the same day. It wasn't new, but it was about 6 months old. Sold the bike, kept the Corvette, and it's lived in the same parking space at his house for 43 years. I drive it rarely, he takes it to car shows every few weeks. 71, 4 speed, red, black interior, black rag top, manual everything, no AC, FM mono radio, base 350. It is not a no option car, but it's what I would call a common option convertible dealer order. So he's not a "Corvette Jerk."
Old May 7th, 2018, 02:03 AM
KDL

Hi...how much do you want for it?
Old May 7th, 2018, 07:59 PM

This has been sold.
Old October 15th, 2020, 10:56 AM

Id be interested. How much are you looking to get?? Thx Dave
Old October 15th, 2020, 11:10 AM

This has been sold.