Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

NOS 1972-1977 Outside Thermometer

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2013, 04:06 PM

NOS 1972-1977 Outside Thermometer

***SOLD****NOS outside thermometer. This one was an accessory for the Mopar's in the early 1970's. These were identicle to the Oldsmobile thermometer's, with the exception of the decal. I'm sure they were all made by the same supplier. The Mopar decal is in a recessed part of the lens. You need to cover it with an Oldsmobile rocket, printed on a black background. I know of at least 2 cars doing this. ( Don't ask ) I have mounting instructions and templates for any of the 1972-1977 cars. Please excuse the poor pictures, this item is in excellent NOS condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
010.jpg (72.7 KB, 18 views)
011.jpg (80.3 KB, 9 views)
013.jpg (62.5 KB, 20 views)
015.jpg (59.5 KB, 10 views)
017.jpg (56.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by BeenThere; March 21st, 2024 at 11:36 AM.
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:53 PM

wow, that's one of the nicest looking NOS pieces I have seen (at least in pics) I know it looks exactly like the olds and as mentioned probably is except for the logo but would be nice if a mopar person got it. WOnder how much it would be worth to one of those guys.
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:27 AM

Thermometer

Better pictures. Includes all the mounting hardware.
Attached Images
019.jpg (55.3 KB, 12 views)
009.jpg (78.2 KB, 8 views)
010.jpg (87.0 KB, 5 views)
011.jpg (97.7 KB, 10 views)
012.jpg (59.4 KB, 6 views)
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Oldsdruid

I have learned something today, because I thought Olds and Buick were the only ones that had this gizmus.

Not surprising though. A lot of outside suppliers made stuff like this and peddled it to all the carmakers. An example is the simulated mag wheel covers that Chevrolet/Buick, Ford and Mopar offered in the 1965-68 timeframe. They are the same cap with a different centercap screwed on. Not sure of the supplier.

Those are gorgeous on any car they're put on, but back then the first thing any car with any pretense of performance got was a set of aftermarket mags Then the fancy high-dollar factory offerings went on the shelf or worse in the trash.

I have a Chevelle buddy who has assembled complete sets of them for all three years they were offered from singleton swap meet finds. Between him and his brothers they have them on 65, 66 and 67 SS Chevelles and also complete spare sets for each year.

He has said that apparently some folks couldn't tell they were wheelcovers and not wheels, because he's bought several otherwise perfect ones that had one lug nut busted out of them. He transfers good spokes from road rashed caps to the better backplates.

One thing that will **** off all three brothers is for someone to suggest they ditch the simulated mags and put a set of Chevy Rallys on their Chevelles. One of them finally did succumb to a set of repro Hurst wheels, but to be hardcore Chevy guys, they absolutely cannot stand Chevy Rally wheels. One of them refers to Rallys as "cheap ******* ****- everybody's got 'em on everything".
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
An example is the simulated mag wheel covers that Chevrolet/Buick, Ford and Mopar offered in the 1965-68 timeframe. They are the same cap with a different centercap screwed on. Not sure of the supplier.

I had those on my Buick Wildcat, I loved them, same thing many people asked why not get the "real" deal." But those that new always offered to buy them from me, not many left.
Old April 13th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Oldsdruid

Actually, the ones I think you had were a wheelcover version of the Buick Road Wheel and they're different from the ones I mentioned. Only A-body Buicks got them IIRC and the Buick versions are not at all common- if I hadn't seen an NOS set in Buick boxes a few years back I'd have called BS myself.

Friend has a set of the Buick Road Wheel caps on a 77 LeSabre Estate Wagon and they dress that longroof up smartly. I remember one of them came off blasting down I-81 coming home from Carlisle a couple years back and passed us before it went into the median. We went back for it and amazingly it got only some minor road rash. He had a couple spares though.

On wheelcovers- I inventoried my 1964 Olds wire caps today and discovered that, counting the ones on the green Starfire, I have 15. I hadn't been in that storage building in a while and went in it looking for a dual snout aircleaner someone had asked about. And there's all these dirty dusty swap meet wire caps laying around. Cleaning them up would have been a good winter project if I hadn't forgotten I had them.
Old April 13th, 2013, 11:25 AM

Wheelcovers??????

I am trying to sell a thermometer. How does it get hi-jacked to a discussion of Buick hubcaps???? Isn't there some place else for this discussion??

Last edited by BeenThere; April 13th, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old April 13th, 2013, 03:50 PM

its a free bump
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by BeenThere
I am trying to sell a thermometer. How does it get hi-jacked to a discussion of Buick hubcaps???? Isn't there some place else for this discussion??

Maybe a MoPar board?