The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:00 AM

I love Curling
Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:43 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rushed to work last night because I was running late only to sit around waiting on the foreman to address us, and he didn't really have anything to say. Oh well. Did well, got home around 330. Got up around 8 and went to the Awful house, of course.

Bill I've got the same car, and I plan on dressing it up to look like a W30. At first look one might think our cars are the same color, but mine is actually Marina Blue, a Chevy color.

Jamesbo do you have any idea what those rims are off of?

Allan Tiger is going with me this trip. I tried to get him into the kennel, like a month ago, and they were already booked up. Mom has all sorts of crap sitting everywhere, she's really gone overboard decorating for Christmas this year, and she was worried about him getting into stuff. I said I'd keep after him(like I always do) and if he gets in trouble we'll go home.

Okay gonna buy a TV today. I'm torn, I want to go to Walmart where they are cheep, because I hate Best Buy, but I've heard more than once that the stuff at Walmart is made with cheaper parts and they break right after the warranty. I guess I'll have to do some research and see which place has what deals. Maybe I'll get lucky and both places will be sold out.

Off tonight, gonna leave at O'Dark 30 in the morning. Have a good day everyone.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 08:40 AM

Chevy has had some good Blues over the years. This was one of my favorites

Old December 22nd, 2017, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by CS-Bill
I love Curling

Well that makes 2 on the Good morning thread. You and Allan

Mike, Which rims are you referring to? If it's the trailer I haven't the foggiest idea, they came with the trailer
Old December 22nd, 2017, 08:46 AM

Well, last night we had our Christmas dinner at work, which wasn't too bad, and it gave us an extended lunch, 45 minutes instead of 15, tonight it's an extended lunch with pizza provided by our boss, as we won a bet with him. Ah, I see that other are posting while I type. Looks like Jetstream blue to me Bill, a great color. I am fond of that shade of blue on 40-50 year old cars, just looks good, especially with a white interior.

Last edited by 1969w3155; December 22nd, 2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 09:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
On this thread?

No unless you're into Curling or home improvement.
Ahhahahahahaha...... Bill, you got the right spirit. Are you active in a league?

Mike, it will be nice to have Tiger go with you. Your mom can teach him new tricks. Tvs? I bought a 49" from Best Buy a year and a half ago. Toshiba. Still works just fine. They have a lot of products that are exclusive to BB and are covered by warranty for a year without geek squad charges. I don't think the basic components are much different between Walmart and BB. The way I see it, in today's electronic market it's pretty much a crap shoot. Good luck with your purchase, and I hope it has no issues with performance. Oh, the one I bought is LED and has a great picture. The 4K Tvs sound nice but they need to have 4K broadcast to get that kind of visual. Very few broadcast in 4K, and even HD broadcasts seem quite limited.

Last edited by Allan R; December 22nd, 2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 09:17 AM

Note to self. This is not a good year to hang mistletoe in the office for the office party
Old December 22nd, 2017, 10:19 AM
Always room for one more

Yes Jamesbo those wheels. It looks like I could use Chevy 6 lug wheels but the center on the axle is way too big.

Bill I don't think you can go wrong with a blue car. Now, light blue I'm not a fan of, but other than that...

Well my afternoon just opened up. I'm gonna wait till I get down there before I buy a TV.

Dan only 15 minutes for lunch? That sounds scroogish.

I need to find some dry firewood. I guess I could start breaking apart the furniture.

See ya's.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 01:28 PM

Evening.

Off from sauna. Did all the woodwork today, and a bit of snow-work. Gonna catch the "list" tomorrow.

So i see, CS-Bill has joined us- welcome!

Seems life has been going as usual here. Albeit, was it a CQR? - sent some hot pic
And Allan R send a pic of him too.

Soo.. Whats everyones plans for christmas? We decorade christmas tree tonight, tomorrow at my list is doing the ham, and all the salmons.
Then relaxing.

Whats up guys?
Old December 22nd, 2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ahhahahahahaha...... Bill, you got the right spirit. Are you active in a league?
I wish I was but i'm having issues finding free time to do much of anything right now. In my spare time I am the staff photographer for my old high school. I also do freelance for local papers. Along with my regular 60 hour a week job lol

Shooting basketball tonight, but my favorite will always be football.

But I do enjoy shooting parades too

Old December 22nd, 2017, 02:29 PM

Evening all

Talking of TVs, I just bought a very nice 65 inch curved screen Sony UHD 4K and it’s brilliant especially for sport.

Finished now for a week. It will be nice to chill for a few days. Went food shopping today and it was manic, so many people buying so much crap

Jouni, I’m with you, decorating my tree tomorrow or at least the wife will be.

My boys got himself a new girl, this time an American! She’s from Dearborn, the same place my 68 was born.

Mike, we keep hearing so much about the awful house I think you may have to post a picture so we don’t have to use our imagination
Old December 22nd, 2017, 02:53 PM
Always room for one more

Okay London here is the Waffle House. It's a short order place that doesn't seat very many. It's mainly an in and out place but there's people that go there and just hang out. Been around since the 50s. Some call it the Awful Waffle. Actually not bad food. Mainly in the south but there's some fairly far north and I know Clint has one by him out west.

Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:01 PM

Mike, we have a 10 minute break and then a 15 minute (14 to be exact) break, we figure that Alcoa back in the day, decided that we took one minute getting back to our work area and chopped that from the break time.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 01:52 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well, it's O'Dark Thirty. Actually it's O'Dark Forty-five. Almost ready to go.

Dan that's weird. Some sort of ancient union rule maybe? Where's ALCOA headquarters? I know there's a place in Iowa.

It will be interesting to see if the new spark plugs in the Tigermobile give it any better gas mileage.

And in the next few minutes I'll be off. It is my sincere wish that all of you have the Merriest of Christmas and I look forward to being back with you in the next few days.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 05:41 AM

mawn'in

Warm with a slight mist

Mike, Safe travels

I've got sum good news and sum bad news. I found what was left of one of the side rails for the trailer The good news is you now have a perfect template for making new one.

London, I like the Aweful house too. [not as much as mike] they're open 24/7 and have a pretty good breakfast

Wonder where my curlers are? Kinda sound like my wife in the a.m.

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 23rd, 2017, 07:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,

Polar opposite of Hotlanta. Cold and light dusting of snow overnight. This stuff won't disappear for quite awhile as we're now officially in the deepfreeze.

Jim, templates are good. Where there's one there's prolly Anutter.

Mike and Tiger, safe travels. I'm sure there are awful houses on your route. Merry Christmas to you and your mom.

Last day I'm going to paint for awhile. My Christmas present to the trash guy will be old paint trays and brushes....I don't mind not looking at them anymore.

Bill, too much work. A body needs to make time to relax. How long till you can retire and find out your 60 hour weeks were easy in comparison?
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:17 AM

Mike, Alcoa (our former company, might be Honeywell next) is headquartered in Pennsylvania. Most shops that I have worked in usually have had two breaks during the workday, generally one 10 and a second at 15-20 minutes, during a eight hour shift. I had a couple of place that had a 10 minute break, and a 30 minute lunch, but we were there 8 1/2 hours, most places with 3 shifts, just have two short breaks. The longest that I have had is one hour, when I worked in an office for a half dozen years, but that was an 8 to 5 job, so there for 9 hours. We have some of Allan's cold air headed this way next week, with overnight temps at around zero for a couple of days. Brrr! Gonna make some spaghetti today, time to get the sauce simmering.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Bill, too much work. A body needs to make time to relax. How long till you can retire and find out your 60 hour weeks were easy in comparison?

Most likely by the end of this coming year, 18 months max. But who knows, I could go back after my vacation and find that they have already retired me lol

Good morning everyone !!!!
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:57 AM

Mike, Just curious. Does Tiger bark at every Aweful House y'all pass all the way to Pensacola
Old December 23rd, 2017, 11:50 AM

Ah, Waffle House, it all makes sense now. I’m sure Jouni was thinking the same as me but was just too polite to ask. Next time over over your side I will seek one out.

Spent the morning over at my building site. The pilings have been finished and all the steel work has been welded in place so we are now ready for the block and beam underfloor. Next job after that is to remove the roof and replace 4 structural oak beams. Luckily the weather has been really kind to us with hardly and of the cold stuff.

My niece is over in Seattle second week of January. What’s the temperature that time of year?

London weather, mild, gray little bit damp but pretty good for late December around 50.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 01:12 PM

For January in Seattle the temp should range from high 30's to mid 40's. With rain more often than not. At least according to AccuWeather.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/se...018&view=table
Old December 23rd, 2017, 04:07 PM

Thanks Bill sounds chilly.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 08:32 PM

Good Morning and Merry Christmas for everyone!

Woke up 0530am today to heat Christmas Morning sauna. Tradition.
Ham comes out of oven somewhere around 10am i believe. Cant wait. Its the best part of Christmas lunch

Chicago weather = Chilly, sub-zero temps, wind blows really hard, and around 10 inches of snow at my yard.

LondonCutlass - Wasnt wondering, since ive asked this same questions once on my own, about year ago. But back then i was wondering the same thing

Allan R - Nice from you to think your trash guy for christmas

Okay, have a great day everyone!
Old December 24th, 2017, 02:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

I was tired and went to bed early yesterday, so here I am at o dark hour awake. Hoping a small snack and a glass of water will help me go back to sleep.... Now I know what Clint feels like when he wakes at 3:00 and can't get back to sleep.

More snow overnight but not a lot. Right now it's only -12 but the next few days are Spoda get down to around -28 so I guess it's time to wear my winter coat and plug in the car. It will bea white Christmas after all as more snow is forecast.

Dan, you're more than welcome to keep the cold weather. I don't mind if it would be warmer here.

London, id take that weather in a heartbeat. Up here we'd call that unseasonably warm.

Bill, I've been curling only 18 years and played every position in league. Right now I play third in one league and skip in another. It really makes me appreciate the value of a good front end. I curl out of the Saville and the ice is competition grade similar to arena ice that the pro circuit curls on for televised games. It helps that Jamie Bourassa oversees the ice maintenance. Sometimes it's a little on the quick side with draws being 15 second hog to hog, but sometimes the ice is cut with swing of close to 7' to make the challenge of ice reading a little more complex. It's always those incredible shots, whether draw, raise or takeout that keep the game exciting. I have one more fun spiel just after Christmas before the 2018 leagues come back in play.

Jouni, tradition? I thought sauna was tradition for you no matter the occasion. Ham sounds good. That's what we're having too. Then it will be leftover ham stuff for a few days and ham will be off the menu for awhile. I guess it's Christmas already in "Chicago" so Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Heading out later to a Christmas Eve party, so today I'll focus on finishing up the trim on the main floor and cleaning up. Then I can relax.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone. Stay warm and safe especially if you're traveling.
Old December 24th, 2017, 04:44 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, Sorry Mr Sandman shorted you today. Even on a day off, still had to get up and feed the mules at 5 the missus had to go in to work for morning chores.

Mike travel safely.

Jamesbo, I had made sideboards once for my trailer, I'm happy to report they've long since rotted away but the trailer has not.

Bill, Are you from the PNW? I wouldn't have guessed that my your avatar pic.

Dan I have a buddy who works as a millwright for Alcoa.

Gonna head over to newly found bio-aunts house today. then headed to MIL's tomorrow. But since it snowed last night, I guess I'll go shovel.

Merry Christmas all.
Old December 24th, 2017, 05:04 AM

mawn'in

Merry Christmas Olds friends. I Hope you and your family have the happiest of Holidays

Many all your footings dry, your mules get fed, your saunas hot, your stones curl in the right direction, and your seat at the aweful House is empty
Old December 24th, 2017, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by CQR
Bill, Are you from the PNW? I wouldn't have guessed that my your avatar pic.
Actually other side of the country, about 30 miles south of Boston. Guess I should update my details

Good morning everyone, just started dry brining the prime rib roasts. I'll get up early tomorrow and get the Primo up to temp then slowly get the internal temp of the roasts up to 120 ish. Then finish caveman style lol

Old December 24th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ummm, Bill??? Got room for a few uninvited guests? Those look delish! My missus would kill for a couple of meat slabs like that. The caveman style intrigues me. I wonder if it's what I think it is, nice and pink like this??

Old December 24th, 2017, 07:04 PM

Well winding down after spending the day at my nephews place, roads are getting greasy and will get worse by the time that I go back to work on Tuesday. Clint, those millwrights do ok, most of the ones we have are a good group of guys, and savy when it comes to troubleshooting equipment. Allan, what's a hammer in curling, and what are the stones made of? (other that just stone), they look like granite, but that would make them pretty heavy. Jeesh Bill, that prime rib looks tasty. Jouni, we've got one more day until Christmas, glad that yours went well. The pitiful Lions were, well, pitiful, as usual. merry Christmas everyone, and have a good day tomorrow.
Old December 24th, 2017, 07:15 PM

Caveman style is just getting the coals as hot a possible, flames shooting up a foot or so then just throw the roast right on the coals. Just another way of reverse searing. Wait 2 minutes then flip it over and wait 2 more minutes.

The key is getting the internal temp of the meat to where you want it, I like 115 to 125. Then pull it off to rest until that internal temp starts to drop. While that is happening you get those flames going as best you can, I use the fan in my pit controller. Then just throw your meat right on the coals. It gets you that nice sear on the outside. And because that internal temp has already started to fall you can sear much longer without fear of overcooking.

Old December 25th, 2017, 01:15 AM

It’s a vegetarian nightmare!

Happy Christmas all, have a safe one.
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:58 AM

mawn'in

I call it Pittsburgh BlueHad sum last night at A Christmas Eve party. They only way to eat beef

Merry Christmas Olds friends
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone and Merry Christmas!!

Bill, I believe you've started a new theme here and it looks extremely promising. Never heard of cooking beef that way and unfortunately I don't have a grill like that I can try that with. Kind of ugly here this morning anyway at -25

Jim, I gotta agree, although I like mine a little less blue.

Dan, Hammer means having the last rock rock to,throw in the end you're playing. Each team throws 8 rocks, so hammer is the 16th Rock. You're spot on that they're made of granite, but it's a special granite that's quarried in Scotland. Each rock (or stone) weighs in at close to 40 lbs, and they have a special (granite again) insert on the bottom running surface that helps the rock glide and/or curl. Ordinary granite would shatter on impacts that some curling rocks receive. The rocks are textured periodically (running surfaces sanded) to make them curl more and become more lively on a sheet of pebbled ice. The relationship of the ice surface and rocks is dynamic which makes every throw just that much more of an art form. The relationship of the players and skip is important too. The skip needs to understand how the player will release the rock, and also where to place his broom as an aiming point for the thrower. The skip determines the game strategy and tells the players what weight (speed) to throw, and also tells the sweepers when to sweep to hold the line or drag the rock where it's supposed to end up. Curling is a fantastic game that also gives a great workout and develops incredible balance on ice.

London, there were also veggies on that plate. What do vegans eat at Christmas?

Mike/Tiger, I'm guessing you have no worries waking in the cold today.

Last night was a great Christmas Eve party. Absolutely fantastic group and plenty to eat and chat about. It was so good to see George and Carol again. They also have 2 German shepherds and very well behaved too. I've never seen that much tail wagging in years. George said they weren't allowed to mooch any food but I think they got some anyway.

Adrian is in Canada now. He's scoping out British Columbia via motor home for the next few weeks looking for good opportunities to buy some land. He's going to have a bit of a temperature adjustment to get used to cuz baby it's cold outside.

I'm still tired. The sandman was kind to me last night and I'm still trying to shake off yesterday's early morning. I believe ham and fixings are on the menu for later today.
Old December 25th, 2017, 08:47 AM

Good evening.

Heating sauna currently. Was a nice lazy day, as yesterday, and tomorrows gonna be like this, too.

Delicious looking meats posted on board! Yum, just got hungry again, despite i just ate!

Allan R - Meant that its tradition at us to heat christmas sauna really early in the Morning, wife just woke up to sauna, and aafter the sauna we eat rice porridge for breakfast

Hows everyone elses Christmas went?
Old December 26th, 2017, 06:32 AM

mawn'in

30 degrees but clear

Sure am glad we got off painting/ home improvement and got on on a carnivores delight

The Supermodel needs new pads up front, [That doesn't sound right] Her front brakes are about toast AND as usual, it's the last minute I find this kinda stuff out

Glad everyone survived the holidays

Old December 26th, 2017, 09:22 AM

So, that’s another Christmas out of the way.
Allan, us weirdos (vegetarians) eat the same as you but with no meat. I had a quorn roast.

Boxing Day is soccer day for me, I just got back from seeing my team win 1-0 and now I’m watching another match on the TV.

Tomorrow I’m off to the sales. I need a new mattress for my bed.

Still mild outside for the time of year. Around 50 and bright sunshine.
Old December 26th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little while ago from my Mom's. We had a nice Christmas and most of us were at my niece's for dinner. Those that weren't there were heard from. Tiger is glad to be home, although no one came to fix our furnace while we were gone and it's a toasty 50* in here. Gonna hit the Awful house in a minute then heat up the stove when we get back.

Jamesbo that's why I have the Saturn. My best friend's wife drove that car and one day she drove in the garage and it was making a knocking noise. My friend said what's that noise? She said oh that's the car. It's been doing that a few days now. He checked the oil and it didn't have any. He said, maybe we should think about a new car for you.

Sounds like Christmas was a success for everyone. Next up New Years. I'm off work but have zero plans. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Allan is BC within a days drive to you? Maybe if he ships his Olds now it will get there by the time he finds a place and moves the rest of his stuff.

Gonna get all my stuff put away and go find a bite. Pretty sure it won't be as good as the previous pictures, but hey, there's only so much you can do with synthetic cooking oil. Work tomorrow and another short week. Have a good evening everyone.
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:10 PM

Morning.

Soon im heading to something which would roughly translate to " damage inspection", since one old man ( 74yr) managed to hit my Honda coming over 2 lanes and give-way sign. Im either gonna get good money out of it or force them total that crap.
Damages arent bad, its totally driveable, but my front bumber, drivers side front quarter and door are bent. Its really close i think for them wanting to total my PoS since its cheap car. Otherwise ill take the money and leave it as it is if they dont total it and put those moneys to my Cutlass. Win-win situation

Should go visit relatives today, some of them. And should to snow-work... again.........
Yeah, New Year is next. Were just staying at home waiting when my wifes birth starts, and shooting few rockets.
Damn , when my wife shoots few rockets ( i dont shoot rockets) worth of, lets say 40$, my heart bleeds blood for the money literally shot to the sky, but when i buy valve covers worth of 350$, im congratulating me for hitting a good deal

Okay, whats up everyone else?
Old December 27th, 2017, 04:53 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

5'F this morning. Gonna get 'Breezy" and almost 50 today (i hope)

Hope everyone stays warm and has a good humpday.
Old December 27th, 2017, 05:21 AM

mawn'in

Snizzeling in de south [drizzle/snow/drizzle]

Hope everyone had a wonderful Boxing day What ever the phuque that is?

Clint, Now I got 2 relatives at Fort Carson, the new one drove out there on the 27th. He's a Blackhawk pilot. . Before he left I said, " Be careful" he said, It's a big sky and the bullets are very little." Typical of some dumb kid that's never been shot at

Inline, This is southern porridge. a.k.a. Brunswick stew. Chicken,poke, corn onions etc [used to be squirrels] I don't eat anyone else's cause I don't know what's in it and don't eat mine cause I do .